Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accidental bite

• 26-02-2011 2:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

hey all. my dog Ellie accidentally bit me while playing with her. I was throwing and catching a ball.
    she is a vacinated. she knew her mistake and I comforted her. do I require a tetanus? its now Saturday so do I need to go hospital?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

can anyone please help me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Hi Congo,

Did she break the skin? If not you should be fine provided she didnt break you wrist or anything like that. Which I am sure you would have figured out for yourself!

she broke the skin :( blood and all :( it was basically I put my hand too near her mouth when she went to get the ball. I rang blanch hospital there who said nothing urgent. I've work 2moro so if i could wait till Monday to see my gp I'd be happy. she's not rabid anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

wow thats awful, make sure u get that seen to when u get a chance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

When did you last have a tetanus? They last for ten years. If you havent had one then i would recommend getting one in the next couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Definitely get it seen to, you may require a tetanus jab and some antibiotics (depending on how bad it is and your past history). Always better to get it seen to sooner rather than late. Just keep it clean until you can see a doctor and you should be fine.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm heading to the chemist to get some proper bandages etc as I'm in work today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I feel your pain, literally. I made the mistake of getting between Tegan and a malamute that wouldn't go away, now I've a lovely crescent shaped imprint of her teeth on my leg. She was so shocked when she realised what she'd done I couldn't really be angry. At least it didn't break the skin; thank goodness for thick jeans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would get one if it broke the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pinky99

I got bitten by a dog years ago and had to get the shot, I was trying to get my dog away from another dog and the other dog went for my wrist, the roars from me were unbelievable my mum could hear me from the house and i was at the other end of the green, it was quite sore but I didn't want the dog put down as I am a really big dog lover and the owner did come up to the house to apologies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement