Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

Options
  • 26-02-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

Muhahahahahahahahaha! You can Fvck right off Codemasters if you think you are fooling me with this poo again.
    I hadn't actually heard it was in development until i saw an ad for it whilst flicking throught the Argos catalogue whilst sitting on the bog!
    http://www.codemasters.co.uk/games/index.php?gameid=3264
    I'm assuming that Dragon rising sold pretty well because we didn't know any better, but after the backlash they received on their forums how can they expect to do well with this. Surely they have zero pre-orders.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

weiland79 wrote: »
    Surely they have zero pre-orders.

I bet they've loads, they got the worlds most excellent marketing team. Best bullshíters I've ever come across. That Sion Lemon is some tool, the amount of BS comes out of that fella's mouth. Put "Sion Lenton" into google and up comes "Sion Lenton is a liar" bringing you to this list of lies about the first :D
    http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97438

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dizzya

Okay bro, so you don't like the game. We get it. You were probably **** at it anyway.

But I loved the first one (for 360). But had to trade it in because of a game crushing glitch on the last level.

Don't know if many of you knew about it, but there was four bonus missions. I found all the codes and had a blast because they were awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Dizzya wrote: »
    Okay bro, so you don't like the game. We get it. You were probably **** at it anyway.

But I loved the first one (for 360). But had to trade it in because of a game crushing glitch on the last level.

Don't know if many of you knew about it, but there was four bonus missions. I found all the codes and had a blast because they were awesome

M'Kay!

weiland79 wrote: »
    M'Kay!

lol, I was only joking wit ya!

They dropped support for the first game by turning off their multiplayer servers after less than 6 months and 2 miserable fix nothing patches. Lots of gamers were very angry
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151964

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Hell even the title of the game is a lie.

You really want to play the sequel to Op flashpoint you play the ArmA series.

Sisko wrote: »
    Hell even the title of the game is a lie.

You really want to play the sequel to Op flashpoint you play the ArmA series.

so true

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Given the enormous potential their franchise had it's was really a squandered product full of glitches and really annoying design decisions - neck braces inside vehicles wtf!??

Oh and the majority of players at Arma and OP Flash are crap at the game myself included, but that's why we love those games so much it requires really strong teamwork to accomplish stuff. I've yet to see a lonewolf rescue a downed pilot solo without dying at least 15 times. :)

I'm keeping an open mind on Red River, the eurogamer hands on was positive so we'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Malty_T wrote: »

I'm keeping an open mind on Red River, the eurogamer hands on was positive so we'll just have to wait and see.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-hands-on

Said the same about the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I'm really enjoying Dragon Rising at the moment, I'll consider getting this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 alisdairb

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising was a game that i couldn't get into. This game looks amazing through what game trailers and screen shots i have seen but Dragon Rising had the same appeal before it came out. I just hope that this game isn't as much of a disappointment as what Dragon Rising was for me.

In one of the video i watched they mentioned the fact that the removed many things that caused people to dislike the game in the first place. I doubt this game could make a comeback so there is always arma if its not as good as made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

I didnt really like flashpoint that much, it had some realism but it was a bit boring for me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll be reading lots of reviews before I buy this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I bought it in steam sale for a fiver. I loved original flashpoint, it was awesome, but this dragon rising was crap in all fairness.

Arent the fellas who did original flashpoint did the new arma? I am really sure about it, but i might be wrong. And i mean people, not company.

I got good few friends who spend hours on arma now. They are in all this war simulation thing. And they walked away from dragon rising after few hours of play....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I won't be going anywhere near this until I see at least 5 different reviews of it. Dragon Rising was an awful game, boring as hell and riddled with bugs. Played about 5 missions in to it, got killed for the 50th time by the exact same enemy that seemed to take a full clip without dying and just gave up on it. I'm not a big fan of "simulation" FPS anyway (Project IGI ruined that for me many years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Seeing this topic just made me buy Arma II - Operation Arrowhead.

Given I own both Arma II and Dragon Rising, I think that says a lot about Dragon Rising.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I won't be going anywhere near this until I see at least 5 different reviews of it. Dragon Rising was an awful game, boring as hell and riddled with bugs. Played about 5 missions in to it, got killed for the 50th time by the exact same enemy that seemed to take a full clip without dying and just gave up on it. I'm not a big fan of "simulation" FPS anyway (Project IGI ruined that for me many years ago).

All the reviews for the first were obviously paid for, they all said it was going to be amazing, like nothing we'd ever seen before. Don't trust the reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    All the reviews for the first were obviously paid for, they all said it was going to be amazing, like nothing we'd ever seen before. Don't trust the reviews

+1, i havent seen much of bad reviews about dragon rising, but it ended up to be a pile of poo. trust only yatzee, he knows his shiet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

+1, i havent seen much of bad reviews about dragon rising, but it ended up to be a pile of poo. trust only yatzee, he knows his shiet :D

His review of it must be brilliant.

I best look that up!

Anyways, its a case of Once Burnt Twice Shy for me, I wont be touching this game unless I see ye guys going mad about how great it is, cause as hard as I tried to like DR, I couldn't, it was just so flippin bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I liked the idea of it and enjoyed some of the game but it just got silly at stages my squad would get themselves killed in a few seconds, i couldnt hit anyone unless they were 10 yards away but i would get picked off pretty quickly if i stepped out of cover.

Have medium hopes for this they have said they have cleared out a lot of the problems but ill wait and see.

• Advertisement

Eurogamer Review now up
    8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-21-operation-flashpoint-red-river-review

I see a few more review scores all up at the
    8/10
    as well.

I have to say, I was going to avoid this after the dire Dragon Rising but my interest has now increased. Sounds like they've actually managed to thread quite a good story in to this one as well. Might pick this up next week for my week off :D Some article bits below:
    Eurogamer wrote:
    So realism is built into the Red River's code, but now – far more than in its predecessor Dragon Rising – it's written into its script too. It's clear Codemasters has feasted on a diet of contemporary war TV and cinema in arranging what turns out to be one of the strongest battle stories in gaming. There are echoes of HBO and David Simon's Generation Kill in the reams of dialogue that couch each fire team encounter here, while providing cover for an explosive ordnance disposal team attempting to disarm an IED in a car is lifted straight from The Hurt Locker. Missions are introduced by exquisitely produced motion-comic cut-scenes, but it's in-game where story and interaction meld with rare effectiveness.
    Eurogamer wrote:
    At its best, Red River surpasses Ubisoft's original Ghost Recons for squad-based tactical play. But it's the presentation of the story – not the broad-canvas story, but the story of four marines and their staff sergeant – that marks it out as something new. We still may be some way from the bite and nuance of Generation Kill, but in communicating the camaraderie, banter, fear and glory of modern warfare in the Middle East, nothing can touch this

I posted about it here, its no better than the last attempt, pathetic effort at a game. Do not buy, rent only on consoles

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71812648&postcount=413

I posted about it here, its no better than the last attempt, pathetic effort at a game. Do not buy, rent only on consoles

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71812648&postcount=413

Cheers man. So you've played it then? Is it really really bad or problems you could overlook? I'm tempted to buy it but not if its going to be the same as Dragon Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

If its anything like Dragon Rising, I won't even rent it for a look.

User reviews is what I will wait for.

As I don't trust magazine or website reviews after Dragon Rising, which was total pants IMO.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Cheers man. So you've played it then? Is it really really bad or problems you could overlook? I'm tempted to buy it but not if its going to be the same as Dragon Rising.

I wouldn't buy it. I'm not that far into it and am not sure if I'll continue the SP, I'm going to give the coop a go later.

Once again the reviews are all bought, the only thing good about Conmasters is their marketing team, they should stick to racing games

I'm copying the screenies to show just how poor the graphics are. Thats meant to be a cobra in the first pic. Textures are terrible, looks like an 8 year old game in places

RedRiver2011-04-2110-40-45-74.jpg
    RedRiver2011-04-2110-34-56-53.jpg
    RedRiver2011-04-2110-36-08-91.jpg
    RedRiver2011-04-2110-37-23-60.jpg
    RedRiver2011-04-2110-38-20-18.jpg
    RedRiver2011-04-2110-38-21-72.jpg
    RedRiver2011-04-2110-34-11-84.jpg
    RedRiver2011-04-2110-34-15-72.jpg

I'm copying the screenies to show just how poor the graphics are. Thats meant to be a cobra in the first pic. Textures are terrible, looks like an 8 year old game in places

Strange thing is though, I've just watched a gameplay vid of it and it doesn't look as bad as those screens? I'd agree though, they do look pretty poor - almost what you'd expect from a game about 4 years ago.

I'm going to try and find some more user reviews on it, but if its anything like Dragon Rising its not even getting a rental from me.

I'm gonna give SP another go later before I draw my conclusions, I've really not given it a chance but all the reasons I hated DR are still there, they've ripped out the editor and multiplayer, there isn't much left to like. Coop may be ok for a play with humans

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

WTF no multiplayer?

• Advertisement

WTF no multiplayer?

Nope, Co-Op campaign instead. Whatever about the game itself, I'm happy developers are starting to turn their backs on multiplayer and concentrating on the SP modes. There's enough FPS multiplayers out there without adding another one.

Advertisement