Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not really, all you need is a quad core and an average mid end gaming card to run it at a decent rate. Its completely cpu heavy, but it makes great use of all 4 cores. Its had lots of changes and optimizations since first release and its getting much easier to run, better with every new patch (beta's out nearly weekly). Its not really that graphically heavy so older cards like 8800GTX's would do fine

well i got old 3++ year old pc now. its quad 2.4 3 gb ram and 8800gt. when i tryed arma 2 on release, it was horrible... i needed to put down everything so low... it was a waste of game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

well i got old 3++ year old pc now. its quad 2.4 3 gb ram and 8800gt. when i tryed arma 2 on release, it was horrible... i needed to put down everything so low... it was a waste of game.

I bet it did. Arma 2 in its original state would struggle on that pc but Arrowhead runs much better than Arma 2, it got many multicore optimizations, its a newer updated engine, it will run fine on that pc. When you install both together, you launch Arrowhead, it will run Arma 2 as a mod in Arrowhead in the new updated engine. My young fella used play with nearly identical specs, 2.4Ghz c2q, 4GB ram, 512MB 8800GT, he could run with mostly high settings no bother.

The map is Arrowhead is much better too, its based on Afganistan, has mostly desert and mountains, not trees and grass everywhere like in Chernarus in the first game. It helps when you're not rendering 50,000 trees in every frame.

There's very little Arma 2 playing online, everyones moved to Combined Ops (Arma 2 + Arrowhead)

Edit: as a matter of interest, have you tried Arma 2 lately patched up to date? (Defrag very important after). It got a patch a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I bet it did. Arma 2 in its original state would struggle on that pc but Arrowhead runs much better than Arma 2, it got many multicore optimizations, its a newer updated engine, it will run fine on that pc. When you install both together, you launch Arrowhead, it will run Arma 2 as a mod in Arrowhead in the new updated engine. My young fella used play with nearly identical specs, 2.4Ghz c2q, 4GB ram, 512MB 8800GT, he could run with mostly high settings no bother.

The map is Arrowhead is much better too, its based on Afganistan, has mostly desert and mountains, not trees and grass everywhere like in Chernarus in the first game. It helps when you're not rendering 50,000 trees in every frame.

There's very little Arma 2 playing online, everyones moved to Combined Ops (Arma 2 + Arrowhead)

Edit: as a matter of interest, have you tried Arma 2 lately patched up to date? (Defrag very important after). It got a patch a few weeks ago

nope, i newer came back to it after.

i was checking on steam. arrow head is30 quid, do expantions can hook up with arrowhead or you got to have arma 2 original one? as i got non steam version of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

nope, i newer came back to it after.

i was checking on steam. arrow head is30 quid, do expantions can hook up with arrowhead or you got to have arma 2 original one? as i got non steam version of it...

I'd avoid Steam tbh, it makes the layout of the folders different for mods or running beta patches etc. Steam is usually a few days longer getting patches too. Get it here straight from the developer:
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=32&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

Just install it into the same folder as Arma 2 (Arma 2 must be there first or you'll have probs) and then patch up to date and defrag. When u launch Arrowhead you'll see it loads Arma 2 as a mod
    http://www.gamefront.com/arma-2-operation-arrowhead-patch-1-59-download/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

So has anyone played it for a length of time yet? Still wondering whether to pick this up or not as the reaction seems to be 50/50 on most sites (some people loving it others hating it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've changed my mind on this game so many times. It goes from moments of sheer brilliance to moments of sheer incompetence.

The first few missions i was using the M4 and trying to control the squad from the frontline was almost impossible. You couldn't hit anyone more than 50 yards away and the squad would just do their own thing no matter what you said.

I changed then to the scout mode and had a sniper rifle took a back seat, would send the squad forward and i would protect them with pot shots and it was really enjoyable. That was in a mission where you protect a convoy about an hour long with great gameplay. (Bar the bit where the convoy ran over my whole squad and killed them !)

Now ive unlocked a few upgrades i have a sniper rifle and and scoped M16 which is an unstoppable combination. Flying through levels but still the team AI can drive you mad.

I had to assault a pretty heavily guarded base so i told the team to stack up against the outside wall and stay there. I went around the back to have a look at the enemies positions and my squad one by one just ran out into the middle of the base where they were surrounded on all sides by 6 or 7 guys got shot. Then the next guy would go to revive him and same thing and then the third guy would follow them in and my whole squad would end up in a pile in the middle of the base.

Pushing forward and clearing building they do well, fighting next to you they are a lost cause, wont get into cover will run out into the open for no reason.

I am really enjoying the game play but still so much is broken in it but i can see why people like playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Have to laugh at this quote from the creative director:
    I love working for Codemasters because they're really passionate about games, it's great to be working for a big British developer and publisher, they're not in it for a quick buck, they're in for the long-term, that's why I'm excited about Flashpoint as a franchise now.

Yeah tell that to the people who bought dragon rising only for support to be completely dropped for the game, great way to build a long term fan base.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

I got operation flashpoint red river today and I got it awsome and it is very very underrated I know its not out is america but still I would recommend it to any first person shooter fan and no i didnt play the first game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Picked this up on Friday and I'm loving it so far, definitely much better than Dragon Rising. Noticed some graphical distortions so far but nothing major, and nothing which can detract from the gameplay. I'm finding each mission is taking about 50 mins - 1hr, partly because of what seems like a small army of enemies to deal with in each step of it
    PLA have entered the game now

One thing that slightly annoyed me at first was the extremely long travelling times, where you're simply sat in a jeep driving for miles and listening to Knox, who has amused me quite a bit contrary to a lot of things I've read about his overuse of profanity :D Up to Day 6 in the campaign now, playing on experienced and its a good challenge so far. I was afraid to pick it up after the mess that was DR, but I've been very impressed so fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

I agree with darkjager red river is great and unlike most fps a challenge i personally found it a refreshing change from the normal fps like COD,HOMEFRONT,BATTLEFIELD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement