Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine or Radiography for CAO

Options
  • 26-02-2011 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Well ? I'd be doing Med in UCC (if I got in) or Radiography in UCD (obviously tongue.gif )

Any help/suggestions/info from people on either course/etc. greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Not trying to be smart, but do you want to be a doctor or a radiographer? That's what it boils down to really.

Is there anything specific you're looking for information on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Do a search on the forum. There's about 8 million threads on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

cool, we've got a new unofficial mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭niaroh1x96

Vorsprung wrote: »
    There's about 8 million threads on the subject.
    thanks.

oK thanks for all ye're help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

cool, we've got a new unofficial mod

Or someone who has seen lots of similar questions asked in the past, leading to some good discussions, which are a useful starting point for anyone asking the same question in the future, like now.

Do feel free to report my post if you think it's indicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Love the bitchiness.

Medic or Radiographer

Use your brains or take pictures?? - you decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

karlitob wrote: »
    Love the bitchiness.

Medic or Radiographer

Use your brains or take pictures?? - you decide

Hope I'm never near your hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dexysgirl

I am a Radiographer. I followed in my mothers footsteps.
    My father is a doctor and my sister and brother both followed in his footsteps. Who is happier?
    My sister and brother are on a much higher salary now than I am or ever will be but I have had much more flexibility over the years. I have moved around and abroad according to my own timetable. Before having a family I was able (with on-call work at weekends and holidays)to return to college fulltime and get a degree in management, which I hope will stand to me when I go back to work.
    Junior doctors have to apply around and move every 6 months for at least 3 years after qualifying, and then with the heavy on-call and more studying for their primary/memberships/exams , its a very tough few years. I will guarantee you every young doctor will look back on their 20's and say that they never thought it was going to be that tough.
    If you are female there is a much greater chance of
    Temporary/partime/job share radiography work if you have a family, and no matter how much we would like the sexes to be equal when it comes to childcare, it just doesn’t happen and as a woman you are first call when your child is sick or if one half of a couple gives up work to stay home with kids. What I am saying is Radiography is a job that is more conducive to family life.
    Good luck with your decision, but remember that it is important to look to the future and at what you would like to be doing both in and out of work when you are in your 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. Think a bit "out of the box", and remember that this is not a dress rehersal...this is it......
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

true, med is dog rough, very little room for a normal life most of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭niaroh1x96

im a male btw..i tink im going to go 4 radiography ... thanks guys

• Advertisement

Hope I'm never near your hospital.

I'm in St James's. Hope you're never near too.

Dexysgirl wrote: »
    I am a Radiographer. I followed in my mothers footsteps.
    My father is a doctor and my sister and brother both followed in his footsteps. Who is happier?
    My sister and brother are on a much higher salary now than I am or ever will be but I have had much more flexibility over the years. I have moved around and abroad according to my own timetable. Before having a family I was able (with on-call work at weekends and holidays)to return to college fulltime and get a degree in management, which I hope will stand to me when I go back to work.
    Junior doctors have to apply around and move every 6 months for at least 3 years after qualifying, and then with the heavy on-call and more studying for their primary/memberships/exams , its a very tough few years. I will guarantee you every young doctor will look back on their 20's and say that they never thought it was going to be that tough.
    If you are female there is a much greater chance of
    Temporary/partime/job share radiography work if you have a family, and no matter how much we would like the sexes to be equal when it comes to childcare, it just doesn’t happen and as a woman you are first call when your child is sick or if one half of a couple gives up work to stay home with kids. What I am saying is Radiography is a job that is more conducive to family life.
    Good luck with your decision, but remember that it is important to look to the future and at what you would like to be doing both in and out of work when you are in your 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. Think a bit "out of the box", and remember that this is not a dress rehersal...this is it......
    Hope this helps.

Excellent post

Advertisement