Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West Election results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

So that's it. From the Advertiser:

Connolly, Catherine (Ind) (+168) 8,379
    Grealish, Noel (Ind) (+54) 8,739
    Healy Eames, Fidelma (FG) (+31) 7,024
    Kyne, Sean (FG) (+45) 7,083
    Walsh, Brian (FG) (+28) 7,518
    Returning officer Ms Marian Chambers Higgins deemed Fidelma Healy Eames to be eliminated votes distributed among the remaining candidates.

Healy Eames has also left Leisureland to get some sleep, showing that she at least has more sense than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Heally Eames gone - Connolly got a fair share of Nolans overs, this is going to be a tight one, it now depends on who Healy eames votes transfer to

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

dloob wrote: »
    Dev Og is pretty much elected solely on the new roads and bridges he gets in Connemara. National interest doesn't come into it.

I agree. Sadly, doesnt say a lot for Connemara in the national interest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'd say Kyne will win it. Surely a lot of FHE's transfers will go him instead of Connolly.

Innitial impressions from the count suggest that Connolly's in the stronger position. Most of FHE's are going to Grealish and Walsh.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    I'd say Kyne will win it. Surely a lot of FHE's transfers will go him instead of Connolly.
    The transfers from Healy Eames are between all 4 which could dilute it significantly. Walshe is expected to get a lot from FHE, Grealish is also expected to get a lot because he is from the same area as FHE, Connolly may get a lot because she is the only remaining female candidate and she is as it stands 1300 ahead of Kyne, assuming Connolly gets a few votes it is likely Kyne would need 2 thousand or so transfers

Technically both Kyne and Connolly could get in yet beating Grealish and/or Walshe to the seats

If Fine Gael only get one seat there's going to be weeping and gnashing of teeth. It would mean they ran too many candidates and split the vote. Entertaining to watch in itself.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    If Fine Gael only get one seat there's going to be weeping and gnashing of teeth. It would mean they ran too many candidates and split the vote. Entertaining to watch in itself.
    Its hard to know how it would have gone really, it seems Kyne would be the one who would be left out and he is the one holding his own, his ties to Connemara have seemingly kept him in it, Would other FG candidates have gotten them votes or would they have given more to O'Cuiv or Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

So who's still awake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Morning. I am not going watching it anymore.
    I always said every vote counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

According to Aertel. Connolly missed out on being elected to Kyne and was granted a full recount, beginning this afternoon.
    Here we go again..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gallantman

celty wrote: »
    Fair enough, Gallantman. I do not like FHE and I think she has shown naked ambition and a lack of humility which is only doing her damage in the long term. For feck's sake, I would say she has alienated virtually every FG person in Galway West, especially Kyne's camp. So much for party loyalty.

Thats right - and Kyne would not have recalled a recount if he had been 56 behind !

So all done and dusted (except for the next recount !).

Congrats to all canidates - next up who gets what ??

Heard P Rabbitt for Finance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

17 votes in it, guess Connolly is entitled to a recount with such a small margain. I still hope Kyne gets it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

17 votes, that's all.

There are 17 people out there who were not bothered to vote on Friday, just goes to show every vote counts and the transfers are absolutely critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hadn't realised this had run right through the night!! Thanks to the Advertsier Facebook for updates, Fair enough for CC to call a recount, but this is taking FOREVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I agree. Sadly, doesnt say a lot for Connemara in the national interest though.
    It's not just Connemara, it's a nationwide problem. And in fairness to O'Cuiv (and it pains me to have to be fair to him) he does at least take a principled position on some national issues (Lisbon treaty for example). If you're really looking for a 'medical cards & passports' candidate in Galway West then that is definitely Grealish. I for one am ashamed that we have elected his type again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I agree - so much for voting for change.

what do we do - just go for the next option. When it all falls down around us AGAIN which it will, I hope nobody complains. You get the government you deserve. And sadly, despite all the "anger" and "radical change" speeches we go and bring in the FF Lite and a labour party that will end up as screwed up as the green party. No change there then.

Will the first 30,000 people in the HSE please empty your desks and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

man this is crazy, I cant even remember who I voted for it was so long ago! :pac: was there some party called the Christian Rebel Alliance or something on the ballot paper??

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Ó Cuív tried to get us into the Commonwealth?! That sure passed me by at the time. Why on earth? AFAIK there are no handouts involved, and what principle could possibly be invoked? If FF stands for anything, surely it's against joining the Commonwealth.

Galway West is obviously pretty conservative as a whole - it beats me how one in five could have voted FF first preference and one in ten for an ex-PD, given the last couple of years' fall-out from global capitalist shenanigans, but that's democracy for you. Just goes to show you should use all your transfers. And I do wonder how many of those who didn't vote at all were people who had recently left the country and were thereby immediately disenfranchised - yet another thing we need to bring up to European standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

so am i correct to say that there are 17 votes beteen connolly and kyne? the recount is ongoing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Connolly granted full recount in Galway West
    08:37 Counting has concluded in all but one of the General Election constituencies, as a full recount will begin in Galway West this afternoon.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0301/election.html

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

17 votes must be a mountain to make up at this stage, considering the ballots havealready been thoroughly checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ayeayecaptain

Given the amount of discrepancies found during the last recount and the amount by which votes for certain candidates changed, I am really beginning to doubt to doubt the reliability of the count centre workers, never seen anything like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Given the amount of discrepancies found during the last recount and the amount by which votes for certain candidates changed, I am really beginning to doubt to doubt the reliability of the count centre workers, never seen anything like this.

That was almost all from extra spoilt votes.
    As they rechecked the votes the party reps would have been looking for the slightest smudge or mark or stamp not fully applied and objecting to the vote.
    I wouldn't expect them to get too many more this time around.

I wonder how FHE recount has affected the overall vote, the spoilt votes lowered the quota allowing Brian Walshe to have a higher surplus. Catherine Connollys recount could be to ensure some of these spoilt votes from the second recount are reimbursed like the first count which could tip her over.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

How much do the count centre workers earn?
    Do they get overtime?
    where are the jobs advertised?:confused:

*Yawn* So, I called it a night at a quarter past three, did I miss a.... aw crap.

I understand that the count centre staff are on a day rate, rather than an hourly one. I don't know how to sign up. It'd probably be good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

This brings up a lot of questions to me...

I wonder how easy it would be for a counter to spoil votes by rubbing a dirty finger across certain targeted votes or some how disqualifying certain votes, it wouldn't take much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

In fairness to Counters, they don't count privately in a darkened back room somewhere. There are many, many experienced eyes watching their every twitch, and the votes are being watched closer. I reckon it'd be obvious that someone was trying to interfere with a paper and they'd get pulled sharpish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

All kicked off again has it? is CC going to get what she is looking for?

Advertisement