Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West Election results

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

LowOdour wrote: »
    alzeihmers? You would want to wise up a bit.
    I live in connemara, and the names O'Cuiv, Welby, Cloherty were all talked about but nothing about Kyne. I knew he was from Moycullen but didnt know he was targeting the connemara vote. Then again, like the rest of them they probably walked about Clifden, Roundstone, Oughterard, Spiddal etc....not the smaller villages like where im from.

Probably more the Oughterard / Clifden side of Connemara than Cois Fharraige I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

alzeihmers? You would want to wise up a bit.
    I live in connemara, and the names O'Cuiv, Welby, Cloherty were all talked about but nothing about Kyne. I knew he was from Moycullen but didnt know he was targeting the connemara vote. Then again, like the rest of them they probably walked about Clifden, Roundstone, Oughterard, Spiddal etc....not the smaller villages like where im from.
    Kyne got alot of tranfers from Welby and Cloherty and even a few from FF O' Cuiv . Considering that and the fact that he got elected well ahead of Cloherty and Welby i assume that a huge amount of connemara people did know he was running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭LowOdour

moy83 wrote: »
    Kyne got alot of tranfers from Welby and Cloherty and even a few from FF O' Cuiv . Considering that and the fact that he got elected well ahead of Cloherty and Welby i assume that a huge amount of connemara people did know he was running

I dont doubt that a huge amount did....its just that I personally knew very little about him and as I said, wasnt a name that popped up in election conversations I had.
    I suppose with FG's stance on the teaching of the Irish language, maybe Kyne was too frightened to come into the real depts of connemara incase he got lynched!
    Maybe I should differ between the english speaking parts of connemara to the irish speaking parts of connemara!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I dont doubt that a huge amount did....its just that I personally knew very little about him and as I said, wasnt a name that popped up in election conversations I had.
    I suppose with FG's stance on the teaching of the Irish language, maybe Kyne was too frightened to come into the real depts of connemara incase he got lynched!
    Maybe I should differ between the english speaking parts of connemara to the irish speaking parts of connemara!
    Maybe you're right :D
    I'm sure that now he is elected (largely by a connemara vote ) he will be doing all he can for the irish speakers in connemara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

• Advertisement

There's a piece in the Galway Independent on Kyne today, in which he addresses the concern you've mentioned above, it may interest you to read it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Kyne said that he would be looking to have the plan reviewed, as he felt removing the compulsion at Leaving Cert level was a “step too far”.
    “Most people in Connemara in the membership of Fine Gael are not happy with the plan and I think it has to be reviewed. There is no doubt about it that if that policy wasn’t there I would be more comfortable, because it was an issue on the doorsteps and not just in Connemara.”
    “Either way, we know that nothing will happen on the policy, as it stands, until the training standards of the teachers improves and we improve the standard of spoken Irish within the class room and give 50 per cent of the points in the Leaving Cert to spoken Irish and extra points to those who do honours Irish for the Leaving Cert.

In a few months it will be, well you knew FG policy on the issue when you voted for it and it was clear in the manifesto.

snubbleste wrote: »
    In a few months it will be, well you knew FG policy on the issue when you voted for it and it was clear in the manifesto.

You'd prefer him to say it now so, rather than look to have it changed? I suppose if he get's it changed you'll say they're flip flopping on it.

johngalway wrote: »
    You'd prefer him to say it now so, rather than look to have it changed? I suppose if he get's it changed you'll say they're flip flopping on it.

Yeah, the great Enda has announced it to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Reasonable

Just heard Sean Kyne on Galway Bay FM.....apparently he was the FG representative for Connemara. Now, I’ve spoken to a lot of people about the candidates, specifically related to the Connemara region and I don’t remember Sean Kyne's name coming up once!

Looks like the people you spoke to didn't know Connemara that well or they would have outlined the four candidates that were running in the region.

It's about time that Connemara elected a second TD in Galway West. Connemara polled 34% of the valid poll in GE11 and in GE07. Kyne, Cloherty & Welby had a good showing in Connemara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

thought this was genius....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A Big Congratulations goes out to the Galway Advertiser.

Their Facebook page got 1 MILLION hits during the count which is unsurprising given the blow by blow information that was posted on it.

The Western People were very good as well especially on twitter but nothing on the scale of the Advertiser. It was a triumph of how to cover a 21st century election. Galwaynews were simply dreadful, just like they were during the Floods of November 2009. There is no point havinga breaking news section if ye won't break any news lads. :(

I will leve the final word to the Advertiser who on pages 47 and 48 this week reprise the count in print. The funniest thing in it was Fidelma beseeching the Returning Officer ( better known as "Lipstick Cam") for a recount

"That's MY seat, That's MY seat" said Fidelma :D

Will somebody please think of the children!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I will leve the final word to the Advertiser who on pages 47 and 48 this week reprise the count in print. The funniest thing in it was Fidelma beseeching the Returning Officer ( better known as "Lipstick Cam") for a recount

"That's MY seat, That's MY seat" said Fidelma :D

Will somebody please think of the children!!

Really? Did she do that? She made no friends this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Can someone tell me exactly why she was attracting so much hate during the campaign and count? It can't just be for calling a recount, many of the GA's quotes come from before that, and Connolly didn't attract anything like it for her own recount (her personal circumstances couldn't have negated that completely).

It's because she is so up herself.. did you not read the long thread about her here? Do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Caitlinn

Overall I'm very pleased by the result. I think that most of our TDs will represent Galway in a positive way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

She did not get a Senate panel nomination so unless she gets a seat from Enda himself her career is dead in the water.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/37487/healy-eames-political-career-not-dead-in-the-water-says-fg-officer

Galway Advertiser, March 10, 2011.

Dear Editor,
    In reply to your article in last week's edition by the 'Insider Talking Politics' I am compelled to put pen to paper in Fidelma Healy Eames' defence. Fidelma has represented something new and different in Galway West since she entered politics in 2002. Uniquely as a woman, but also she has been, in effect, the bridge between the old and the new.
    As a professional woman and a young mother she brought a competence and an approach to politics not previously known in the constituency. Her arrival onto the scene opened the door for others in Fine Gael to have the confidence to follow.
    Some key facts need to be corrected from your last week's Insider piece. It cited an implosion in Fidelma’s vote - this is totally inaccurate. Senator Healy Eames actually increased her first preference vote by over 1,100 votes since 2007, exited the race at over 7000 votes and lost her opportunity to win the second FG seat by a margin of only 52 votes!
    Insider stated that Fidelma's political career is now dead in the water. As somebody who has watched her work over the last nine years I can assure you this is a total fabrication.
    As the Fine Gael Education spokesperson, she has represented Galway and education with distinction during her term in Seanad Eireann. As a constituency politician she served the entire constituency and enjoyed helping people. Prior to that as a member of Galway County Council she was an advocate for strong local communities.
    In Election 2011, her presence on the Fine Gael ticket was central to the election of two Fine Gael TDs in Galway West, something that had not been achieved in 29 years. Without her it would not have happened.
    The party has no intention of dispensing with her services, in fact quiet (sic) the contrary. Thousands of voters and members throughout the constituency are currently encouraging Fidelma to seek a Senate nomination and continue her work on their behalf. Her courage in calling for a recount revealed a discrepancy of 94 votes in the wrong place in the first count alone ie, 94 voters who had been disenfranchised, so rather than writing Fidelma Healy Eames' political obituary we look forward to her return to national politics. Fidelma has earned her place in Galway West.
    Yours
    Martin Concannon
    General Secretary
    Fine Gael Galway West.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I've never met her, but anybody I know who has says FHE is a stuck up self-important auld bag. You might call the recount and senate demand "ambition" but everyone still thinks it's a childish tantrum.

Trevor Ó Clochartaigh from An Cheathrú Rua who was a SF candidate has secured a Seanad seat.. a small consolation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

A consolation would be to destory that seanad completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I've never met her, but anybody I know who has says FHE is a stuck up self-important auld bag. You might call the recount and senate demand "ambition" but everyone still thinks it's a childish tantrum.

Oddly, I've actually met FHE since the election and she's a lovely person. Certainly, she's a lot nicer than he critics on her describe her as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I`ve met here twice and my opinion of her is she`s a sly *****. Guess she rubs people up people differently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I saw her in leisureland the night the recount was done and when the result was the same she didn't quiet storm out but certainly made a very quick exit making no eye-contact and a bravado fake smile and was out of the building in seconds.

Now it was obviously a very dissappointing and upsetting result for her but I just thought...you know, every other candidate that bowed out had the decency to walk up and congratulate the successful candidate. Especially considering she was Sean Kynes running mate. I just thought it was bad form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Well she'll have plenty of time to change your opinion, one way or the other. Afaik she's been re-elected to the Senate today.

Advertisement