Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West Election results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Eeden wrote: »
    "Battling for the final seat" - that guff always amazes me. No one is "battling" once the polls have closed; they're just standing around, watching guys push pieces of paper around. How is that "battling"?

I can see how it might be nerve-wracking, but the results have already been determined the second the polls closed.

"Waiting to see how it has turned out" is obviously not as exciting as "battling" or "fighting", I suppose.

Guff? Er, I was just using an expression, didn't mean anything too literal...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

i have a funny that crowe, fahy and baughton will transfer a lot of votes to Healy-Screams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Eeden wrote: »
    "Battling for the final seat" - that guff always amazes me. No one is "battling" once the polls have closed; they're just standing around, watching guys push pieces of paper around. How is that "battling"?

I can see how it might be nerve-wracking, but the results have already been determined the second the polls closed.

"Waiting to see how it has turned out" is obviously not as exciting as "battling" or "fighting", I suppose.

You obviously haven't seen candidates disputing counts and spoiled votes!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

How full is the count centre in Leisureland right now?

Can anyone get in to observe?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Fifth count

Nolan: 8479
    O Cuiv: 8219
    Grealish: 6812
    Walsh,B: 5871
    Connolly: 5626
    FHE: 5356
    Kyne: 4758
    Clochartaigh: 4140
    Naughton: 3909
    Fahy: 3832

xxxxxxxxxx Welby: 3505

afaik finished in leisure land tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

It's going to get interesting tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Dev Óg on RTE now, reckoned (not in any order):

1 lab, 1 ff, 2 fg, and Grealish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

i really want niallers, crowe gone anyways. niall has tried twice and failed GIVE UP TO ****! i hate fidelma too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Looking like Nolan will slip into the number two slot. Now that the party candidates are entering the relegation zone, their votes will start to clump around the party leaders. Virtually all of Fahey's will go O'Cuiv's way.

Doesn't really matter since the two are fairly well ahead of the pack, but I'm finally starting to see why Labour only ran one candidate here. I thought they were mad not to run two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Galway K9 wrote: »
    i really want niallers, crowe gone anyways. niall has tried twice and failed GIVE UP TO ****!

They've already been eliminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Looking like Nolan will slip into the number two slot. Now that the party candidates are entering the relegation zone, their votes will start to clump around the party leaders. Virtually all of Fahey's will go O'Cuiv's way.

Doesn't really matter since the two are fairly well ahead of the pack, but I'm finally starting to see why Labour only ran one candidate here. I thought they were mad not to run two.

I voted for Catherine, but felt it was an awful pity that she 'fell out' with Labour as that party has been her natural home. So, in effect, there are still two Labour candidates in the field. I voted for her as a bit of a protest, but also because I really don't know anything about Nolan. He has done brilliantly to actually increase Michael D's vote with such a low profile going into the Election.

I figured it had to be due to a worry about Connolly alright, that two candidates would split the vote evenly (like you said, Nolan doesn't have much name recognition yet) and allow Connolly to steal any "Labour" spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I figured it had to be due to a worry about Connolly alright, that two candidates would split the vote evenly (like you said, Nolan doesn't have much name recognition yet) and allow Connolly to steal any "Labour" spot.

are ye guys saying....Connolly to take the 5th seat? where is eames? where is kyne? whats happened in galway west????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The Labour seat in Galway West was hard won and has never been taken for granted. There is an image of Michael D as Michael Twee the airy-fairy intellectual poet, but IMO he's as hard-headed and shrewd about the number crunching as any FF strategist. Don't forget it was also a PD stronghold, so there isn't exactly a huge pool of left-wing voters to draw on for support.

I don't think Labour's setup in Galway East is quite as effective, to say the least. Not sure at this moment how their two candidates fared.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy00

the count was to resume at 9 this morning, anyone know how its going so far ??

H naughton gone o cuiv in first kyne has overtaken fhe for sixth place connolly in fifth by 139 votes. The other yolk still hanging on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

6th Count:
    Kyne: 5770
    Naughton: 3994
    Nolan: 8722
    O Clochartaigh: 4406
    Walsh,B: 5965
    Connolly: 5909
    O Cuiv: 8948
    Fahey: 4016
    Grealish: 7116
    Healy Eames: 5497

Naughton eliminated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

eagle10 wrote: »
    H naughton gone o cuiv in first kyne has overtaken fhe for sixth place connolly in fifth by 139 votes. The other yolk still hanging on
    other yoke! ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Expecting bulk of Naughton to go to Walsh, interesting day ahead.

Sixth Count:
    Cuív (FF) (+729) 8,948
    Nolan (Lab) (+243) 8, 722
    Grealish (Ind) (+304) 7,116
    Walsh B (FG) (+94) 5,965
    Connolly (Ind) (+283) 5,909
    Kyne (FG) (+1,012) 5,770
    Healy Eames (FG) (+141) 5,497
    O Clochartaigh (SF) (+266) 4,406
    Fahey (FF) (+184) 4,016

Naughton (FG) (+85) 3,994

Non-Transferable: 164
    Naughton eliminated. Distribution of Naughton’s 3,994.

It is quite tense and exciting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Radio 1 just done GW. They say FG confident they can get two seats, but that there's 200 or less votes between Kyne & FHE. Connolly camp say they need heavy transfers from SF, but Kyne also expected to get transfers from SF due to both being in Connemara (and I'll add my own thinking that Kyne being a farmer(?)/REPS planner won't hurt him in that regard).

Surely we'll fill a seat or two on this count!? Gerry Adams is really breathing heavy down Michael Martin's neck, Fianna Fail need to open the lead a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

It seems to all depend now on where Trevor O Clochartaigh's votes will transfer. Naughton's will probably split between her three party colleagues, with possibly more going to Walsh because he is from the city.

Frank Fahey to be eliminated, which should see O Cuiv first over the line.

Then Nolan, Walsh, and Grealish.

The last seat is between FHE, Kyne, and Connolly, who has an outside chance and would need huge transfers from SF.

It should be quite an exciting finish.

Forty gafs gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant news

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

Frank fahy gone :D I hope Kyne takes a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Nolan back on top after the 7th. The O Cuiv, Grealish, Walsh, Connolly. 54 votes btwn Eames and Kyne.

7th count

Bye bye Frankeen

Nolan; 9138
    Cuiv; 9066
    Grealish; 7324
    Walsh,B; 7010
    FHE; 6554
    Kyne; 6500
    Connolly; 6169
    O Clochartaigh; 4446

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:DFahey; 4061:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭03046290

Dear lord 7th count and still no one elected, is this some kind of record?

The fifth seat is going to be very very close.

Does anyone know when the next count will be announced. I'd love to go down for when Nolan gets elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

How nice to see Fahey put out of it.

• Advertisement

Naughton eliminated. Distribution of Naughton’s 3,994.
    Seventh Count: Naughton’s transfers

Nolan (Lab) (+416) 9,138
    Cuív (FF) (+108) 9,056
    Grealish (Ind) (+208) 7,324
    Walsh B (FG) (+1,045) 7,010
    Healy Eames (FG) (+1,057) 6,554
    Kyne (FG) (+730) 6,500
    Connolly (Ind) (+260) 6,169
    O Clochartaigh (SF) (+40) 4,446

Fahey (FF) (+45) 4,061

:D:D:D:D:D:DFahey Eliminated.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It will be interesting to see where forty gafs votes go I presume they will push o coimh up a bit maybe connolly may benefit cant see many going to fg

Advertisement