Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West Election results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

eagle10 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see where forty gafs votes go I presume they will push o coimh up a bit maybe connolly may benefit cant see many going to fg

Eh, how do you figure? A lot of FF transfers seem to be going to FG nationally. Also I believe FF and FHE are not too far from each other geographically?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

johngalway wrote: »
    Eh, how do you figure? A lot of FF transfers seem to be going to FG nationally. Also I believe FF and FHE are not too far from each other geographically?

I think that maybe people that voted for forty gafs are die hard ff it seems that he really isn't liked therefor I think that a die hard ffer wouldn't vote fg but I could be way off the mark

Forty gafs lives in carrig ban menlo fhe is out oranmore connolly (grattan) is closer geographically

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So O Cuiv's elected..
    What are the criteria for being 'elected', as it were? Is there a quota to be reached or somesuch?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ficheall wrote: »
    So O Cuiv's elected..
    What are the criteria for being 'elected', as it were? Is there a quota to be reached or somesuch?

Yes...there's a quota..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The quota's 10,122 in this constituency.

Incidently, where are people following it? I'm using rte.ie, it has all the info there.

O'Cuiv has just been elected, finally! He got more than 2000 of Fahey's transfers, Nolan didn't even get 200. He'll probably get a good rake of the Sinn Fein votes, though.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the RTE numbers between Fine Gaels candidates FHE on 6725 and Sean Kyne on 6651 on the 8th count.

Is there any further thinking on how they'll do with SF's transfers when that candidate is eliminated?

Odds against Connolly winning the final seat lengthening considerably according to Jim Fahy on RTE just now.

Dog fight between FHE & Kyne.

Am not going to have any finger nails left soon..........

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Odds against Connolly winning the final seat lengthening considerably according to Jim Fahy on RTE just now.

Dog fight between FHE & Kyne.

Am not going to have any finger nails left soon..........

I think Naughtons voters would have given a preference to FHE over Kyne pushing her ahead for now but it's very very tight.

I think Naughtons voters would have given a preference to FHE over Kyne pushing her ahead for now but it's very very tight.

That's my thinking too Dr B. I'm guessing most of the SF transfers will go to Nolan and Connolly (in no order there). But what'll be important is how many go to FG and to which candidate.

Very very tight indeed.

Pure speculation:

After the distribution of the SF transfers I think Kyne will get ahead of FHE.

Assuming Connolly is eliminated after that, I'm starting to think her transfers would favour FHE, geography, gender.

Back to square one, who get's what % of both of those.

I'd give Dr B's right arm for a time machine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Like I said in the GE forum, I expect F to be eliminated before Kyne and Connolly. If her votes skew overly towards Walsh Conolly could sneak in. If not skewed then Walsh and Kyne will be elected ....both elected last and without either reaching the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Dunjohn wrote: »
    The quota's 10,122 in this constituency.

Incidently, where are people following it? I'm using rte.ie, it has all the info there.
    RTE is showing O'Cuiv elected after the 8th count but isn't showing O'Clochartaigh as having been eliminated. Is the 9th count really just a distribution of O'Cuiv's surplus? What's the point of that if O'Cuiv's surplus of 1034 is nowhere near enough to bridge the 1825 gap between O'Clochartaigh and Connolly?

How would they distribute a surplus? :-/

Ficheall wrote: »
    How would they distribute a surplus? :-/
    By following a very complicated procedure that I still don't fully understand but which approximates proportionally where the total next preferences of that candidate would go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Removed, see below.

Mactard wrote: »

No it isn't, that answer refers to a first count surplus only :D I did answer the specific question some weeks back somewhere hereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I use http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/galway-west.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No it isn't, that answer refers to a first count surplus only :D I did answer the specific question some weeks back somewhere hereabouts.

My apologies.

It sounds needlessly complicated tbh, and introduces an element of chance...

Why not just continue on as they were, ignoring the surplus, and elect whoever isn't eliminated?
    As it is, the people who got their first choice in Eamonn O Cuiv, now also have a 'say' in who the others that get in are. So their vote counts towards two people. Whereas someone who voted for, say, Cubbard, who went out in the first round, transfers their vote to one person, as their first choice hasn't gotten in. Those who back a 'winning horse', as it were, seem to have a greater say than those who don't.

Not that it makes a whole pile of difference who gets in in the end anyway, but...

edit: sigh... nevermind..

The last 2000 votes that O Cuiv Got came from Fahey. Of these 1000 got him to the Quota and 1000 were surplus.

They will not look at any votes that O Cuiv gathered before the Fahey lump transferred. O Cuivs surplus will be entirely taken from those Fahey votes meaning Grealish will get minimum 500 and more likely 700 of the 1000. Non transferables are discarded , eg someone voting 1 fahey and 2 O Cuiv with no number 3 and that means that if a surplus is 1000 then a full 1000 votes will be distributed.

• Advertisement

Count 9

FHE 6814
    Kyne 6735
    CC 6573

So FHE is in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So FHE is in?

Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

So FHE is in?

Not yet. Results of 10th count should be in shortly.

Is the 10th count to be the final count? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is the 10th count to be the final count? :confused:

No, why would it be?

snubbleste wrote: »
    No, why would it be?

I'm not well up on the process, I was wondering.

I presumed that was the distribution of the SF transfers. In GE11 I was told it was O Cuiv's surplus, not SF.

Am happier knowing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

There'll be a good few counts left, probably. There are two more eliminations to make, and the surplusses of elected candidated also need to be redistributed. It could be the fourteenth or fifteenth count before it's finished.

I'm not sure why they didn't run the O'Cuiv surplus and O'Clochertaigh elimination counts together, though, since that thousand votes could neither elect anybody or save anybody. Can anyone explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

Anybody else notice that RTE TV's coverage of the Galway counts has been practically non-existent? And what was Jim Fahy on during the one o'clock news. Very odd. Thank God for boards to keep us up to date.!

• Advertisement

There'll be a good few counts left, probably. There are two more eliminations to make, and the surplusses of elected candidated also need to be redistributed. It could be the fourteenth or fifteenth count before it's finished.

I'm not sure why they didn't run the O'Cuiv surplus and O'Clochertaigh elimination counts together, though, since that thousand votes could neither elect anybody or save anybody. Can anyone explain that?
    I asked that as well but I since figured out that the answer is probably so that portion of O'Cuiv's surplus that went to O'Clochertaigh could then be distributed on further when O'Clochertaigh was eliminated rather than disappearing into a black hole.

Advertisement