Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West Election results

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

O Cuivs surplus _could_ have elected Nolan is the reason they distributed it at that time. The rules for surplus distribution are weird and mixing the surplus up with O Clochartaigh votes _could_ have made distributing Nolans own surplus thereafter very very messy.

As it is on this count there will probably be a Nolan surplus but as it will be O Clochartaigh votes that got Nolan _his_ surplus the bulk of that Nolan surplus will go to Connolly. Kyne should go past FHE too.

Then FHE will likely be eliminated and 2 counts will likely ensue.

1. Distribute FHE and Walsh may go over the line with a surplus. If so.
    2. Distribute Walsh surplus and Kyne may go past Connolly at that point

So up to 3 more counts before this is done and dusted. Grealish will not make the quota but won't be caught by Kyne or Connolly either. Nolan and Walsh look likely to make the quota now.

HTH :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No true Dunjohn, CuívÓ's surplus was 1034. That could have put Nolan over the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

So FHE is in?
    Much more likely I would think that O'Clochartaigh's next preferences favour Kyne (Connemara factor) and Connolly (left leaning element). They could both be nudged ahead of FHE so that she is the next eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

snubbleste wrote: »
    No true Dunjohn, CuívÓ's surplus was 1034. That could have put Nolan over the quota.

You're dead right, I keep thinking the quota is 11,000, not 10,000, so Nolan was within a thousand of it.

Nolan is over the quota now, just needs announcing. A Conflab of senior FG people was underway some time back in Leisureland on whether ( and precisely when) to ask for a recount. I am unaware of how it concluded. It will probably be before any Nolan surplus is distributed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Nolan finally elected. Only 329 of a surplus though apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭03046290

somone tweeted that connolly is up to 8231 after SF transfers, is that true?

Anyone have up to date figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Connolly got a big boost from the SF redistribution, looking like Fidelma to go next I don't think the surplus from Nolan will help her.
    It's all down to where her votes go then.

With FG bound to lose someone now surely it's just a matter fo time before they ask for a recount?

03046290 wrote: »
    With FG bound to lose someone now surely it's just a matter fo time before they ask for a recount?

Yep, especially when there are only 56 votes between them at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

1,200 now between Kyne and Connolly. What're the thoughts of our clued in folks on that size gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Full recount requested by Healy-Eames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

johngalway wrote: »
    1,200 now between Kyne and Connolly. What're the thoughts of our clued in folks on that size gap?

Probably won't be enough, she'll pick up a good chunk of Nolan's small surplus, but looks likely Healy Eames will be excluded next and her transfers are likely to push the remaining Fine Gael candidates back ahead of Connolly.

johngalway wrote: »

Well, there's a full recount ordered now and it'll start at 6.30pm this evening. Don't forget about Brian Walsh though, who's 400 clear of Kyne. Walsh is in 5th place and Kyne in 6th.

So, whatever happens it'll be FG candidate who's out next so their surplus will likely go mainly to the other FGs, probably fairly equally...Kyne would need to gain way more than Walsh gains to have any chance.

Fidelma Really-Screams and gets her recount , count adjourned till 18:30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

recount! Great Nolan finally got elected!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

dloob wrote: »
    Full recount requested by Healy-Eames.

I reckon she just wants to take credit for it.
    Walsh 7491, Kyne with 7059 to FHE with 7003 according to RTE now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

"FG members are spitting fire at the moment. Many were very unhappy with the four candidate strategy and feel that what is happening now is proof of that as FG looks set to lose out on a second seat to Independent Catherine Connolly. One FG member told me. "There are many who are trying to blame this on HQ but they were the ones who wanted it. We should never have run two in the city!"

according to the Galway advertiser

Anyone else following the updates on the Galway Advertiser's Facebook page? It's actually pretty fantastic coverage!

My god i feel sorry for all those in the count centre. Certainly earning their money this weekend!

• Advertisement

03046290 wrote: »
    My god i feel sorry for all those in the count centre. Certainly earning their money this weekend!

Just popped in as I was walking the prom and the atmosphere in there is quite exciting.

Fidelma has not one, not two but THREE senior legal advisors coming down to Leisureland for the recount. Sadly we will only ever see a pack of suits gathered around a table in the middle of the room...mainly nodding in unison :)

Kyne had better make sure he has an equal number of senior legal eagles representing HIS interests in that there recount or else Fidelma will cook his political goose damn good :D

Why was O'Cuiv such a vote topper? My constituency is Limerick City but I've been living in Galway now for a few years... No idea why this FF lad is so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I didn't give him a high preference, but if I had it would have been for this incident:
    http://www.advertiser.ie/images/2008/12//6011_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Why was O'Cuiv such a vote topper? My constituency is Limerick City but I've been living in Galway now for a few years... No idea why this FF lad is so popular?
    Its the gaeltacht/connemara vote...he has history in the area, well before the celtic tiger era. Wouldnt have voted for him myself, but i see why people did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Ficheall wrote: »
    I didn't give him a high preference, but if I had it would have been for this incident:
    http://www.advertiser.ie/images/2008/12//6011_thumb.jpg

I can't see what's happening there. Is he doing a Michael Jackson?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Its the gaeltacht/connemara vote...he has history in the area, well before the celtic tiger era. Wouldnt have voted for him myself, but i see why people did

Seemingly he has done a huge amount of work in that area of the constituency consistently for years, rather than sitting around twiddling his thumbs like a lot of others seem to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Seemingly he has done a huge amount of work in that area of the constituency consistently for years, rather than sitting around twiddling his thumbs like a lot of others seem to do.

He is also a man of the highest integrity.;)
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/o-cuiv-pledge-heads-off-pds-move-341774.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Looking after his constituents and traditional Gaeltacht industries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I can't see what's happening there. Is he doing a Michael Jackson?
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/6011

Advertisement