Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West Election results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Éamon thinks this of your post:

ocuivasleep.jpg

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Ficheall wrote: »
    I didn't give him a high preference, but if I had it would have been for this incident:
    http://www.advertiser.ie/images/2008/12//6011_thumb.jpg
    Is that Ming??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

johngalway wrote: »
    Éamon thinks this of your post:

ocuivasleep.jpg

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

He should have been charged with Impersonating the Regulator!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pádraig McCormack reportedly going to represent Kynes interests tonight.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Pádraig McCormack reportedly going to represent Kynes interests tonight.

Good, safe pair of hands there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Fingers crossed for Catherine Connolly, hoping she gets in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

PomBear wrote: »

I heard that her step-mother died today. Lot of stress at this time, especially after the recent death of her father.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Why was O'Cuiv such a vote topper? QUOTE]

Hard work on the ground out in Connemara. Speaking up for his constituent's
    interests. (Right or wrong.....that's how things get done in the country).
    Integrity. The perception that he doesn't have the same whiff of arrogance about him as some of his contemporaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Looks like recounting is underway. RTE.ie has a nice red "recount in progress" flashing at the top of the screen. Very melodramatic. Needs a siren or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Looks like recounting is underway. RTE.ie has a nice red "recount in progress" flashing at the top of the screen. Very melodramatic. Needs a siren or something.

It's basically saying "don't ask us anything about this for at least 6 hours...we won't know anything!"

• Advertisement

Why was O'Cuiv such a vote topper? QUOTE]

Hard work on the ground out in Connemara. Speaking up for his constituent's
    interests. (Right or wrong.....that's how things get done in the country).
    Integrity. The perception that he doesn't have the same whiff of arrogance about him as some of his contemporaries.

I've never voted for O Cuiv, but I am aware that he is regarded as a hard-working TD. Until there is some serious political reform in this country, clientelism and parish-pumpery is what were stuck with.

There are those TDs who love it and use it to their advantage, and there are those who hate it but have to put up with it because otherwise they'll be dumped at the next election. It's not easy for one TD to try to buck the system on their own.

Won't be long now before the new Galway West TDs are being pressured on local issues. Here's what one voter expects from Fidelma Healy Eames, for example: "Hope Fidelma gets in, Clarinbridge and Maree need her voice...."

Now, who should I talk to about getting the grass cut more often in our estate?

It's basically saying "don't ask us anything about this for at least 6 hours...we won't know anything!"

Tomorrow evening I reckon.

Good. Now I might get some work done... :)

Heh, sounds about right. Twitter was estimating around 6-7...but that would be the absolute earliest. And if Galway West is anything, it's not early!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

PomBear wrote: »

Whatever about her current personal circumstances, let's hope that this sanctimonious psychologist cum barrister cum politician DOESN'T get in; another one of the "do as I say and not as I do" brigade, which was pointed out to her on the doorstep and which she refused to answer to.

For the last couple of elections she has arrived on my doorstep, and rather than give a straight answer to several questions, she instead pointed to other candidates to say what they DIDN'T do. She couldn't even saw what she has done for the city.

She flip-flopped and left labour, now she's flip-flopping again (along with a large number of others) and leaving the city council (and people of the city) she had already committed to to go to the Dail.

All of those already elected to office should have been made to resign when they went to run in the general election, letting us save on time and money and have the by-election at the same time as the general election, and getting people in for whom "commitment" actually means sticking to what you've already promised to do.

Hopefully the actions of her, Walsh, Naughton, Kyne et al, along with our two senators, will be remembered by the people and groups who voted them into their current positions when the next local election come, leaving them out on their arses in the cold where they belong.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Good. Now I might get some work done... :)

Two days, two days I've lost watching GW !! Still, be worth it for the right result :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I hope that Catherine Connolly will get in and join forces with others on the left in the new Dáil. We will need a strong opposition to counter the more-of-the-same economic model put forward by FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I hope Catherine Connolly fails to make it, she is so bloody negative, always shocked and appaled at some trivial matter. Not the trpe of person who i'd like to see represent us in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Heh, sounds about right. Twitter was estimating around 6-7...but that would be the absolute earliest. And if Galway West is anything, it's not early!
    Galway Advertiser estimating 12 hours.

galwayrush wrote: »
    I hope Catherine Connolly fails to make it, she is so bloody negative, always shocked and appaled at some trivial matter. Not the trpe of person who i'd like to see represent us in the Dail.

Boards must be an absolute delight for you then.. :p

• Advertisement

Boards must be an absolute delight for you then.. :p

LOL, If she makes it, good luck to her. Hope she does not try and make us all call each other comrade...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

MCH has announced about 20 mins ago that they are about to start the re-count of all votes for Galway West

From the Galway Advertiser Facebook, MCH being the returning officer...

What a long day!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

From the Galway Advertiser Facebook, MCH being the returning officer...

What a long day!!

I love their lipstick watch. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

There is an image of Michael D as Michael Twee the airy-fairy intellectual poet, but IMO he's as hard-headed and shrewd about the number crunching as any FF strategist.
    You're right. He's as much of a c**t as any Fianna Failer. Wasn't he in government with them and voted through loads of lovely cuts, including the student summer dole.
    Pr1ck.

Now, who should I talk to about getting the grass cut more often in our estate?

Actually, what does happen to Nolan's seat on the Council, now that he's heading off to Dublin? I presume that Labour fill it themselves, rather than this triggering a by-election?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Fey! wrote: »

She flip-flopped and left labour,

I think its more fair to say that she wasn't given the labour nomination so she decided to run as an independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

So how is this one going to play out? The tallymen must have an idea. Assuming (and hoping) FHE does not win her recount, will Kyne and Walsh get in or will Connolly and Walsh get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

galwayrush wrote: »

Would you rather Frank Fahey? Or Brian Walsh? Or, God forbid, Michael Crowe? Lovely property investors rather than someone who actually has a brain and has something she believes in rather than lining her own pockets?

Birroc wrote: »
    So how is this one going to play out? The tallymen must have an idea. Assuming (and hoping) FHE does not win her recount, will Kyne and Walsh get in or will Connolly and Walsh get it?

Too close to call i reckon, FHE's transfers will go all over the place, FG will obviously do well, NG will probably get a lot being from much the same area, CC might get quite a few possibly because of a woman's vote...

• Advertisement

Wait, so what exactly does this recount entail? The Advertiser's facebook is talking about transfers going to Nolan and O'Cuiv, why would that happen? Aren't they through? Are they counting every single ballot in the room, or just the transfers from the last count? I'm suddenly all confused.

Advertisement