Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West Election results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Wait, so what exactly does this recount entail? The Advertiser's facebook is talking about transfers going to Nolan and O'Cuiv, why would that happen? Aren't they through? Are they counting every single ballot in the room, or just the transfers from the last count? I'm suddenly all confused.

A complete recounting of all the votes. Technically no-one is declared elected until that's complete. Basically starting all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Wow, okay, thanks. Liesureland is starting to sound like simultaneously the most exciting and the most depressing place to be at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Caitlinn

Why do people think that Connolly could make a difference if she was elected? She is so bloody negative about EVERYTHING. I can just imagine how other TDs would look at her 'Not this ..... again.' She'd wind up isolated in about six months. Not much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

A complete recounting of all the votes. Technically no-one is declared elected until that's complete. Basically starting all over again.

That's a bit much.
    I can understand McHugh asking for the recount against Broderick when he was 2 behind, and he did indeed win after the recount with an extra 6 votes, but FHE needs 57 extra votes.
    She should be slapped for making everyone go through all this ****e again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

Caitlinn wrote: »
    Why do people think that Connolly could make a difference if she was elected? She is so bloody negative about EVERYTHING. I can just imagine how other TDs would look at her 'Not this ..... again.' She'd wind up isolated in about six months. Not much good.

She is against the Galway bypass. Maybe if she gets elected, we could vote, in local elections for someone who would be supportive of the bypass.

Her getting elected, would make a difference on the City Council. It's a win-win for everyone.

• Advertisement

DanielI wrote: »
    She is against the Galway bypass. Maybe if she gets elected, we could vote, in local elections for someone who would be supportive of the bypass.

Her getting elected, would make a difference on the City Council. It's a win-win for everyone.

So you're main reason for voting for her is so that the bypass can go ahead? I think what Ireland needs right now is TDs capable of forward thinking and putting their heads together to get the country out of this mess, a local bypass doesn't come into it, and Connolly is definitely an independent thinker. It's a bit too much small time thinking for this election I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So you're main reason for voting for her is so that the bypass can go ahead? I think what Ireland needs right now is TDs capable of forward thinking and putting their heads together to get the country out of this mess, a local bypass doesn't come into it, and Connolly is definitely an independent thinker. It's a bit too much small time thinking for this election I'm afraid.

It's not a small rural town that's needing a bypass, it's one of the main cities in the country that needs it , it will create employment, reduce severe inner city congestion , reduce inner city traffic making more room and speed for public transport. Her small minded stance on this lost her my vote. Some local issues can be important national ones as well, this bypass is one of those.

galwayrush wrote: »
    It's not a small rural town that's needing a bypass, it's one of the main cities in the country that needs it , it will create employment, reduce severe inner city congestion , reduce inner city traffic making more room and speed for public transport. Her small minded stance on this lost her my vote. Some local issues can be important national ones as well, this bypass is one of those.

You're missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

You're missing the point.
    No i'm not, to get this country back on track,we have to start localy, i'm not talking about fixing potholes here, but a massive infrastructure project that is vital for the city in so many aspects.
    Getting people back working is an obvious help in stemming massive emigration, getting people working will get money flowing, which will increase tax take to heklp with out national budget. What is wrong with this happening in our area?

So, what exactly will she do for the country then, she will probably be more occupied with being negative like stopping the bypass even if she makes it to the Dail. Besides, her being so independent minded, i doubt anyone in power will want her as part of their coalition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Got word from the count, no major changes after the first stage of the recount so FHE is gone. Walsh will then be elected with a surplus. Kyne and Connolly will be close at that time but as Walsh will have a larger surplus than Nolan had earlier the Walsh surplus will get Kyne over the line ....at least 1000 votes ahead of Connolly and elected without reaching the quota most likely.

Grealish will be elected without reaching the quota either. It is all over in Galway West bar the technicalities.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    No i'm not, to get this country back on track,we have to start localy, i'm not talking about fixing potholes here, but a massive infrastructure project that is vital for the city in so many aspects.
    Getting people back working is an obvious help in stemming massive emigration, getting people working will get money flowing, which will increase tax take to heklp with out national budget. What is wrong with this happening in our area?

So, what exactly will she do for the country then, she will probably be more occupied with being negative like stopping the bypass even if she makes it to the Dail. Besides, her being so independent minded, i doubt anyone in power will want her as part of their coalition.

There is nothing wrong with the bypass happening but it doesn't change the fact that it is a local issue (regardless of the size of the county). The bypass would create employment which would obviously be a positive but for how long would such employment last?

Exactly, she is negative, if she is negative about the local bypass then she will probably be negative about national issues. It is not necessarily, to my mind, whether or not people will want her as part of a coalition but in genetal if you never have a good word to say about anything then it's hard to make allies.

It might just be me but I think that the Dail is for people who have NATIONAL issues in their mind not just what they can do for their constituency. The bypass I'm sure would be good for some people in Galway but does that warrant a place in the national government? I don't think so, best to stay on the local council and gain more sway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Exactly, she is negative, if she is negative about the local bypass then she will probably be negative about national issues. It is not necessarily, to my mind, whether or not people will want her as part of a coalition but in genetal if you never have a good word to say about anything then it's hard to make allies.

That's a bit pessimistic isn't it? All generalisations are false.

</stir>

po0k wrote: »
    That's a bit pessimistic isn't it? All generalisations are false.

Not if people give you enough evidence to think they will be negative. Then it's just going on what you know and is not really a generalisation but person specific ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not if people give you enough evidence to think they will be negative. Then it's just going on what you know and is not really a generalisation but person specific ;-)

How rather very gnomic. Is CC generally negative or simply negative in general :cool: ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    How rather very gnomic. Is CC generally negative or simply negative in general :cool: ??

I'll leave you to decide that for yourself, Sponge Bob. For me she is just negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Thank you Lord that eames didn't get elected that's made my weekend I suppose she'll get given a seanad seat to make up for it but she's a self serving windbag and so incredibly full of her own importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Ha Ha Healy Eames. And to think you came to my door and said you were going to be minister for education. Lolzers

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

jesus wept the idea of that woman as a td never mind a minister is truly shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Can someone explain to me how the five seats in the constituency are divided between the constituents. I mean, are we all represented by all five TDs, or is there some geographical division such that all constituents are represented by one TD in their particular area?

Re. local vs. national: the big issues are global in scope, not just national, and it is our (very small) country's response to those international challenges that the TDs must find. Not only the whole debt servitude caused by FF and other speculative property gamblers here and abroad, but the pressing issue of energy dependence vs. independence. Oil prices are rising even faster now because of events in Libya, and guess which country in Europe is most dependent on imports for its energy needs? Fuel poverty is a serious worry for a lot of people - look at that shocking story about the woman who perished in a Dublin council flat recently. Achieving energy independence should be a priority imo, never mind your bypass.

• Advertisement

So the Twitter says
    "Recount of ballots in #gyw- requested by lowest placed remaining candidate Fidelma Healy Eames (FG) - due to begin at 10am"

Does that mean they have to count them yet again??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Ficheall wrote: »
    So the Twitter says
    "Recount of ballots in #gyw- requested by lowest placed remaining candidate Fidelma Healy Eames (FG) - due to begin at 10am"

Does that mean they have to count them yet again??
    She must be having a laugh? GIVE UP FIDELMA, NOBODY WANTS YOU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

She was sure that she was set to get a seat and the lady just can't give up the ghost.
    Next thing she will be mounting a legal challenge on this.
    Delighted she did not get in,telling folk she is the next minister for education.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm disappointed that Connolly won't get a seat. She'd have made a great contribution on the opposing benches. I kinda was dreaming she'd top the poll..
    Don't understand how Grealish who's a closet FF who supported the previous government got elected though. It's true that Galway is not a liberal electorate after all.

On the plus side, Fahey is gone hopefully forever and we've a new young candidate in Kyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Surely people are only allowed to request one recount.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

why didn't ye elect Hildagard? she's a bit of alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

. . also disappointed for Catherine Connolly. Have observed her in the past at City Hall meetings being vilified repeatedly by that ff gang; she never buckled.
    She would have made a formidable rep for Galway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

who_ru wrote: »
    why didn't ye elect Hildagard? she's a bit of alright.

Yeah if you fancy Fernando Torres maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gallantman

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    She must be having a laugh? GIVE UP FIDELMA, NOBODY WANTS YOU!

The re count started at 7pm yesterday. I presume they meant the re-count will resume at 10am from whenever they finished last night.

• Advertisement

In comparison, Dick Roche has requested a recount in Wicklow as he is 3 votes behind the next candidate, which has been described as a "final kicking of the people from an outgoing minister before he leaves power", and other candidates are claiming that he "trying to cling to power" (although I would have thought that was 'most everyone's intention...)

I believe a 3 vote gap is small enough to request a recount though, even if that does leave him needing 4500 more votes than the other candidates to get a seat...

Looking for 57 votes is a bit much though.

Advertisement