Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West Election results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gallantman

Surely people are only allowed to request one recount.. :mad:

They havn't finished the first recount for someone to request another .....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

This was what confused me.. Courtesy of Twittter: Re-examination of votes in #gyw expected to conclude at around 2am. Recount intended to begin at 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

padraig71 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how the five seats in the constituency are divided between the constituents. I mean, are we all represented by all five TDs, or is there some geographical division such that all constituents are represented by one TD in their particular area?

We're all represented by the same five. The parties may select candidates with a wide geographic dispersal, but when polling day comes there's nothing to prevent five next-door neighbours actually winning the seats.

There's a situation at the moment that the entire county of Lietrim has no TD because it was split in two and each half joined to a neighbouring county to form two constituencies. All the seats in both constituencies then went to non-Lietrim candidates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Ficheall wrote: »
    In comparison, Dick Roche has requested a recount in Wicklow as he is 3 votes behind the next candidate, which has been described as a "final kicking of the people from an outgoing minister before he leaves power"
    Reminds me of Gary Neville. He used to always say he preferred to win by one goal, as it left the opposition thinking they were in with a chance all along... sickener!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

RTE predicting there may yet be another recount if the margin is close between Kyne and Connolly. The same figure of 56 votes, in Kynes favour, seems to be mentioned. Padraic McCormack reckons it'll be around 100.

Term of the new Dail will be ending by the time this is settled :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

They should just have a game of rock,paper,scissors at this stage

CC was just on Galway Bay FM. Reckoned her tally would have her 29 ahead of Kyne, but speaking to FG their tally will put Kyne 29 ahead of her.

Interview boiled down to what we're all waiting for, see where the transfers go...

Mentioned another recount for small margin, after excluding it earlier in the interview :confused:

(Hurry up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

johngalway wrote: »
    CC was just on Galway Bay FM. Reckoned her tally would have her 29 ahead of Kyne, but speaking to FG their tally will put Kyne 29 ahead of her.

Interview boiled down to what we're all waiting for, see where the transfers go...

Mentioned another recount for small margin, after excluding it earlier in the interview :confused:

(Hurry up!)

I feel so bad for Catherine Connolly going through all this with and the passing of her stepmother. It must be a terribly hard time for her.

RTE predicting there may yet be another recount if the margin is close between Kyne and Connolly. The same figure of 56 votes, in Kynes favour, seems to be mentioned. Padraic McCormack reckons it'll be around 100.

Term of the new Dail will be ending by the time this is settled :pac:

Is 56 not the number of votes between FHE and Kyne ?

Not sure why Connelly is calling for a recount until FHE is eliminated and we have a better idea of the gap between herself and Kyne ??

gallantman wrote: »
    Is 56 not the number of votes between FHE and Kyne ?

Not sure why Connelly is calling for a recount until FHE is eliminated and we have a better idea of the gap between herself and Kyne ??

56 is the gap between them yeah. RTE mentioned it as the probable gap between Kyne and Connolly later on again.

Connolly isn't calling for a recount as yet. When FHE's transfers are distributed, she (CC) initially seemed to discount a recount, but as the interview moved on and the 29 margin was mentioned in Kynes favour, she seemed to be more interested in a recount.

Go figure.

Not sure any of them know anything at this stage. Everyone seems to be saying 99% different things, save for it's going to "be tight" which is the only common factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Cabbaginho

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet (I'm too lazy to go back through the thread :p) but RTE have a live Twitter feed from the GW counting centre in Leisureland http://twitter.com/rtegalwaywest

FHE has supposedly turned up with legal representation according to the Galway Advertiser.

Padraic McCormack on GBFM now...

When FHE is eliminated.

CC to get around 400 from FHE.

Kyne needs 1600+ from FHE if that's the case.

FG tally people (going on a sample of 1000 votes I think) saying he will get it.

P McC reckons again the gap will end up as favouring Kyne by 100+ in the end to give him the 5th and final seat edging Connolly out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

FHE has supposedly turned up with legal representation according to the Galway Advertiser.

can she not accept defeat gracefully?
    :D:D

I heard that the knives were out between herself and hildegarde naughton also. Funny because healy eams was canvassing in my area last sunday but the next day the place was dripping with naughton posters. She obviously did not like eams taking over her territory. they are both gonners anyway :D

Wheres Sponge Bob? I want to buy ya a calculator for that 1000 prediction last night :pac: :P Getting my hopes up, more grey hairs today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

I heard that the knives were out between herself and hildegarde naughton also. Funny because healy eams was canvassing in my area last sunday but the next day the place was dripping with naughton posters.

I didn't give FHE my vote because she put posters up inside my estate! She (or her reps) didn't call to my door. I was surprised that FG even put her up as she was rejected in the last election also! Hopefully they won't make her a Senator again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

So the counters have been ordered to take a break until five o'clock, then assuming the count gets finished today we'll have to deal with a second recount tomorrow anyway. **** this, I'm getting myself a cup of tea.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dunjohn wrote: »
    So the counters have been ordered to take a break until five o'clock, then assuming the count gets finished today we'll have to deal with a second recount tomorrow anyway. **** this, I'm getting myself a cup of tea.

Bloody public sector hah? HAH?!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

From the Galway Advertiser's facebook page:

"Sen Healy Eames is angry and upset at the manner of the count and has voiced this at the count."

Not sure what she's angry at. They're just counting the votes, was she hoping they'd just throw her a few bundles of someone else's votes? She really doesn't do herself any favours and since it looks like she isn't going to be elected she should at least try and be dignified in defeat. She seems very childish.

If there are two FG elected in Galway west would Enda appoint her senator?
    There wouldn't be much chance of returning three in the future elections so would he give the senate seat to someone he thought could be elected elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Personally, I blame Rag Week for these recounts. And the current overcast weather.

If there are two FG elected in Galway west would Enda appoint her senator?
    There wouldn't be much chance of returning three in the future elections so would he give the senate seat to someone he thought could be elected elsewhere?

With an eye to the future, I wonder would Naughton be a better person for the senate?

According to RTE twitter, recount results at 5.30pm.

FHE hoping to stay in the race.

WTF :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

With an eye to the future, I wonder would Naughton be a better person for the senate?

I would think so, FHE has tried to get elected twice and failed. They gave her a senate seat, time to look to the next generation.

The latest update from the GA FB page ('cause my time is that important ..)
    The word here is that FHE has been told she's on her own. That they cannot support a call for a further recount against one of their own candidates. So it's Team FHE v The World...and it seems the World is gonna win.

Following this on Twitter and I'm not sure this is the case. No mention of legal representation for FHE.

I think she realises the writing is on the wall but waiting for the final confirmation - why is it taking so long ?

Did they stop the count at 10:30am until 4pm ? Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

gallantman wrote: »
    Did they stop the count at 10:30am until 4pm ? Why ?
    I understood it was to try to determine the legal position about a number of specific votes where one candidate wanted the vote to be considered valid and another wanted it to be counted as spoiled. There was chatter (either on GA or Twitter, I don't recall which) that it wasn't just FHE but that the returning officer had legal advisers present at that stage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Latest from galwaynews twitter:
    FG HQ understood to have asked Healy Eames to concede ... she has refused unless there's a Seanad nomination from Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

The latest speculation on Twitter is that the returning office is going to announce each of the recounted rounds individually so I thought I'd copy this here as a reference so we can see what has changed.

1stCountA.jpg
    1stCountB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Results now due at 7:30pm according to RTE Twitter feed.
    FFS!
    http://twitter.com/rtegalwaywest
    I just want the damned thing over with.
    FHE OUT!
    4 more years! Obama!
    etc.

Advertisement