Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is It Irresponsible to Drive after Night of Drinking Non Alcoholic Beer

• 26-02-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Ok So you have been on the NA sauce all night ( Becks NA, or Erdinger NA)
    Is it cool to drive home or could there be that chance that you are over the limit? I know there is a small amount of alcohol still in NA beer.
    Reason I ask is last time I had about 13 NA beers i felt slightly dizzy.
    Now I have a high tolerance for alcohol so i put it down to mainly mind tricks. Have a party to go to tonight and Ill be bringing some NA beer. Would you risk driving after Non Alcoholic beer? Is it iresponsible driving after N.A beer? How many would you have to drink before you shouldnt think of driving?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Drink 58 bottles of it...keep the empties in the front seat - show to garda if stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

id have more jitters after a load of redbull to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Erdinger is .5%, you'd probably drown before getting drunk on that. 13 seems like a lot, how long were you drinking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It would only be irresponsible if you didn't have a driving licence, had never driven a car before, or were a sh1t qualified driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Non alcoholic beer has alcohol in it? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You'd need to drink four bottles of Erdinger Alkoholfrei to consume even a single unit of alcohol. Unless you're putting them away at a frighteningly fast pace (much faster than anyone I know drinks) you'll never even get close to the lower alcohol limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I remember reading about an experiment done where a group of people were unknowingly given non-alcholic drinks when they thought they were drinking. Over time they started to "act merry" or a bit hyper as if they had been drinking.....a psychological effect of thinking youre drinking.

Non alcoholic beer has alcohol in it? :eek:
    Most N/A beers have a very low percentage. N/A Weissbiers tend to be Low Alcohol not N/A and will have 0.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

13 bottles a lot? i was going easy lol.
    just wondering, i cant seem to get an answer anywhere is drinking and NA driving ok :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Fill alcoholic beer bottles with non alcoholic beer(becks) drink them, throw them in the front seat, pull up to the garda and get breathlised, plead with him/her that something must be "wrong with the machine"...........if you have the balls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

You'd need to drink four bottles of Erdinger Alkoholfrei to consume even a single unit of alcohol. Unless you're putting them away at a frighteningly fast pace (much faster than anyone I know drinks) you'll never even get close to the lower alcohol limit.

Ok, so how many units would put one over the legal limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Some people can't handle their non alcoholic beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Triangla wrote: »
    Erdinger is .5%, you'd probably drown before getting drunk on that. 13 seems like a lot, how long were you drinking for?

Id say you would never get over the limit on that. If 1 pintof 4% beer gets a person over the limit, that wont mean 8 pints of 0.5% will. It will never get you over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

df1985 wrote: »
    I remember reading about an experiment done where a group of people were unknowingly given non-alcholic drinks when they thought they were drinking. Over time they started to "act merry" or a bit hyper as if they had been drinking.....a psychological effect of thinking youre drinking.

Yes this happen before to one of lads in my group of friends.

We bought non-alcoholic by mistake and was saying he was getting drunk on it till we found out.

ronan45 wrote: »
    13 bottles a lot? i was going easy lol.
    just wondering, i cant seem to get an answer anywhere is drinking and NA driving ok :d
    Ok, so how many units would put one over the legal limit?
    It's not about the total it's about the rate of consumption over time. A pint of ordinary 4.3% beer is approx two units. Two units would put the average person close to the 50mg limit. The average person's body processes approx one unit of alcohol per hour. So the average person could drink four 0.5% N/A beers in a hour and their body should deal with the alcohol at the same rate. As pointed out above you'd need to be drinking at a frighteningly fast rate to pass the limit.

So yes it's ok.

It's not about the total it's about the rate of consumption over time. A pint of ordinary 4.3% beer is approx two units. Two units would put the average person close to the 50mg limit. The average person's body processes approx one unit of alcohol per hour. So the average person could drink four 0.5% N/A beers in a hour and their body should deal with the alcohol at the same rate. As pointed out above you'd need to be drinking at a frighteningly fast rate to pass the limit.

So yes it's ok.

And there is a much higher fluid intake for each unit also. Which limits the amount of units you can physically drink. Which is part of what your saying there anyway. But this probably makes it easier for people to process the alcohol too, compared to drinking shorts as the other extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Why would you drink non-alcoholic beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think Mickey Rourke was in that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Ok So you have been on the NA sauce all night ( Becks NA, or Erdinger NA)
    Is it cool to drive home or could there be that chance that you are over the limit? I know there is a small amount of alcohol still in NA beer.
    Reason I ask is last time I had about 13 NA beers i felt slightly dizzy.
    Now I have a high tolerance for alcohol so i put it down to mainly mind tricks. Have a party to go to tonight and Ill be bringing some NA beer. Would you risk driving after Non Alcoholic beer? Is it iresponsible driving after N.A beer? How many would you have to drink before you shouldnt think of driving?

Everybody knows non-alcoholic beer has more alcohol than standard alcoholic beer. Why else would it be called non-alcoholic?:rolleyes:

Why would you drink non-alcoholic beer?
    Because soft drinks are awful and I like beer. Some of the low alcohol free Weissbiers are actually pretty damn tasty too. If I'm driving and will be in the pub for a long time I'll have some decent N/A beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Drinking non alcoholic beer is like licking out your sister. It tastes the same, but it's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Loopylil

My husband was stopped and breathalysed ,having consumed 18 large bottles ie 500 ml of erdinger non alcoholic beer.This was over a period of 6 /7 hours, the Gardai were very co operative as the person in the front seat was the worse for wear.He was asked would he take a test and agreed.The result of the test, as I was also shown the test apparatus was O% alcohol .The Guard then expressed an interest in the name of the beer ,as he said he often found himself in social situations where he was the driver and quickly got tired of soft drinks. The night ended with the officer writing down the name Erdinger enquiring as to where it could be purchaced , saying good night and wishing us a safe journey home. I think that should answer your question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We bought non-alcoholic by mistake and was saying he was getting drunk on it till we found out.

Its called the placebo effect.... its well documented and quite interesting if you're into pharmacology or medical psychology. Its not really ethical to use it as a legitimate medical practice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Loopylil wrote: »
    The result of the test, as I was also shown the test apparatus was O% alcohol .
    He was the letter O percent?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Loopylil

There s always a GOB****E out there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Loopylil wrote: »
    My husband was stopped and breathalysed ,having consumed 18 large bottles ie 500 ml of erdinger non alcoholic beer.This was over a period of 6 /7 hours, the Gardai were very co operative as the person in the front seat was the worse for wear.He was asked would he take a test and agreed.The result of the test, as I was also shown the test apparatus was O% alcohol .The Guard then expressed an interest in the name of the beer ,as he said he often found himself in social situations where he was the driver and quickly got tired of soft drinks. The night ended with the officer writing down the name Erdinger enquiring as to where it could be purchaced , saying good night and wishing us a safe journey home. I think that should answer your question

The roadside test does not give a percentage or a microgram per ml of breath reading. It merely indicates the presence of alcohol and whether the person is likely to be over the limit. You can blow a positive on the road and be under the limit on the intoxalyser in the station.

soundbyte wrote: »
    The roadside test does not give a percentage or a microgram per ml of breath reading. It merely indicates the presence of alcohol and whether the person is likely to be over the limit. You can blow a positive on the road and be under the limit on the intoxalyser in the station.

Yea it just says pass or fail, and a fail does not mean the person is over the limit , its just an indicator alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Now there's a real Bad Luck Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea it just says pass or fail, and a fail does not mean the person is over the limit , its just an indicator alright.
    Think it indicates if you fail, pass with alcohol in your system or pass with no alcohol in your system. I know cause i was stopped one night after a pint and the guard knew that i had alcohol from the meter.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Think it indicates if you fail, pass with alcohol in your system or pass with no alcohol in your system. I know cause i was stopped one night after a pint and the guard knew that i had alcohol from the meter.

Yea but a fail at the roadside does not mean it will be a fail in the station on the machine that gives the actual alcohol reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The placebo effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

A girl I used to live with got asked by a load of 12/13 year old to go in to the off licence and buy them drink. Took their money, and in she went and came back out with non-alcoholic stuff. She walked past the place where they were about an hour later and they were all falling around the place "plastered". Still though, at that age, all you need is one of them to say he feels bolloxed and the others will all say they're the same.

Advertisement