Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large Frog/Toad in Apartment Complex Fountain

• 26-02-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I live in a large apartment complex near the M50 in Dublin. While walking my son around near the fountain feature that runs through the complex today I noticed frog spawn in the end part of the feature. And two very large dark coloured toads/frogs.

They were not black, but for the lack of a better colour description navy, in colour, about 10cm long plus another 15-20cm in the leg length. I have never seen any frogs here so large and I was wondering if any one could tell me what they are. I could not take photo's of it that showed them as they are using the dead leaves and branches as cover, they are nearly indistinguishable from them!

I am concerned for their welfare and before I contact the management with regards the matter (I want to inform them so they do not get anyone to clean the debris from the fountain while the spawn is developing), I want to know are they a rarer breed, etc. I cannot find any photo's of them online.

I hope someone here would know the amphibian I am referring to!

Thank you for all your help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

And as though just to píss me off, 3 scumbags that do not live here just came and put washing foam into the water feature. Can the parents and spawn survive that level of pollution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Sounds like some one dumped unwanted pets. These don't fit the description of native frogs. Maybe call the DSPCA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

No it will kill them. Frogs are very sensitive to toxins. The washing soda would also elevate the ph of the water ( not good). They can absorb toxins transcutaneously since their skin is permeable. I would remove the spawn and rinse it gently with bottled still water ( to remove trace of washing soda). Try and find a pond and place it in the pond. The spawn would be ok in a bucket of still water for tonight (till you find a pond).

The adults would be hard caught. To help them put a hose in the fountain and turn it on. This will help dilute the washing soda out. Act quickly, they will be in the fountain now it's dark.

They are probably common frogs not toads. Our only toad species the Natterjack toad is endangered and Rare. It is only found in a few coastal locations in Kerry and in a site in Wexford.

Subhuman scum:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EgoTeVocabo

Hard though it may seem, spawn should never be moved. One, it's illegal to move it, and two, if they are an invasive species and not frogs it may do harm to introduce them elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Subhuman scum:mad::mad::mad:
    to be fair, i doubt they did it to kill the frogs, they probably just did it as a prank to foam up the fountain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Hard though it may seem, spawn should never be moved. One, it's illegal to move it,.
    Sometimes you have to be practical, if the spawn is in danger I would move it.
    if they are an invasive species and not frogs it may do harm to introduce them elsewhere
    It is a huge coincidence that they are spawning at the exact same time as Common frogs. They are 99.9% Common Frogs.

Sometimes you have to be practical, if the spawn is in danger I would move it.

As far as I know the Wildlife Act does allow spawn to be removed if it is in danger.

Hello all, thanks for the replies.

Thankfully the wind and the placement of the spawn has meant that the adults are alive and well and the spawn still seem to be ok too. I am checking on them throughout the day. And the foam has gone completely now.

What act is the one that protects the spawn, I want to inform the company in charge of the complex that they are there and what conservation rights they have, because I do not trust the company in charge of this place.

Contact your NPWS wildlife ranger, check out the website for details. They are protected under the Wildlife Act but enforcement is atrocious in this little banana republic of ours.

Just because the foam is gone doesn't mean the water isn't still polluted, I think you'll still need to get them out. From your initial description, I'm not sure they are native species, and releasing a non-native species into the wild is an offence under the same Act! Any chance of a photo?

• Advertisement

You will have to wait til tomorrow. I was not able to get a pic the other day, but I will try again in the morning!

Advertisement