Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a dog run out of decking ?

• 26-02-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if I could build a dog run with a decking surface ?

I don't want to put in anything permanent & would like it to tie in with the existing decking area in the garden.

The surface would be raised off the ground & would be in an area partly decked already.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

As long as you keep on top of the cleaning I don't see why not. Decking has a tendency in Ireland to get a layer of slime on it and get slippy as hell so if you give it a good scrub down once a week or so I'd say it'd be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Have to be scrubbing down a stone/concrete one anyway... :/

Is there anything to consider in making one, any tips online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Decking might not be the best product to use as you will be constantly powerhosing (with pet friendly disinfectant) down the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It depends on the dog but ours chewed through our shed the first day we got her (we were completely unprepared, she was due to be put down that day so mum had to take her immediately and it was only meant to be a visit to look around, not take a dog and we had never owned a dog before so we put her in the shed briefly while we prepared and she promptly escaped and it was only a lucky catch by the neighbour that caught her) so if your dog is still in the chewing stage decking may not contain him/her. Unless maybe you add something to the inside to stop that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Big tip - do not fit it with the grooves on top. They will fill with dog pee & it will be impossible to clean the grooves. If you mix some sharp sand into the top coat of varnish/wood treatment you get a non slip surface that will keep the dog's nails trimmed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement