Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning old tiles

• 26-02-2011 2:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Doing a small bit of an overhaul in the kitchen and I'm trying to save some of the wall tiles. I'm wondering what's the best way to clean the grout off them. I'm gonna soak them in hot water but I'm sure there is something I could add to the water to do it better except I can't remember.
    Any ideas?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Hermy wrote: »
    Doing a small bit of an overhaul in the kitchen and I'm trying to save some of the wall tiles. I'm wondering what's the best way to clean the grout off them. I'm gonna soak them in hot water but I'm sure there is something I could add to the water to do it better except I can't remember.
    Any ideas?

x2 would also like to know myself.ive bathroom tiles and the grout really needs a cleaning,bleach?regrout?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

These are tiles I've taken off the wall and I want to remove the grout from them to use them again - just incase I didn't asplain well in my op.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You wont clean them.

You can buy tile acid that costs 60. 4-5 yards of kitchen tiles will only cost you 80 euro so it seems like madness to spend so much on cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

soak the tiles in buckets/basins of cold water for a day or 2, this will help loosen up the adhesive and grout, then using a chisel scrape off the loose adhesive. I find grout easiest to take off with a stanley knife up the sides. also if theres any stuck on the face of the tiles I use a stanley knife blade, or if its just dirt then jif and a pot scrubber is usually best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

In the end I just soaked them in plain hot water and that did the job. I just thought I remember someone telling me before that you could add bread soda or something like that to the water but I'm probably imaging things as usual.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You can use brick cleaner to clean grout or adhesive on tiles. Basically it just attacks the cement in the grout and it will peel off then.

Advertisement