Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan V. Manchester United (Setanta Sports 1 - 3.00pm)

• 26-02-2011 2:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

149673.png
    Wigan host Manchester United on Saturday in a North West derby clash of sides needing the points at opposite ends of the table.

Roberto Martinez's Latics are currently sitting third from bottom in the top flight, with 27 points from their opening 27 games.

But results have improved of late, with five points from their last three league outings, including a pulsating 4-3 home derby victory over Blackburn.

The Wigan boss rested nine players who earned the excellent 1-1 draw at Liverpool for the most recent FA Cup loss to Bolton and he will now be expecting a maximum effort from his returnees.

But it will be tough against a United side who will also be desperate for a win having seen their lead at the top cut to just a solitary point by Arsenal's midweek victory over Stoke.

The Red Devils lost their unbeaten start to the league season with a shock 2-1 defeat at Wolves but have bounced back to go three games undefeated - beating arch-rivals Man City in the league, seeing-off a determined Crawley in the FA Cup and holding Marseille to a goalless UEFA Champions League stalemate in France in midweek.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side face a crucial week ahead - following up their clash at the DW Stadium with trips to rivals Chelsea and Liverpool - but history is firmly on the Red Devils' side here, with United having won all 12 matches they have played against Wigan in all competitions, scoring 37 goals and conceding just four.

Team news

Defender Emmerson Boyce is Wigan's only major injury concern for the visit of the Red Devils.

Boyce is yet again troubled by the hamstring injury which has dogged his season and will be assessed before the game.

Callum McManaman is also a slight doubt after suffering a nasty cut in last week's FA Cup fourth round loss to Bolton.

Goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi should return after being ineligible to face his parent club while new signing Conor Sammon is also back in contention.

For United, Michael Owen, who last featured in the FA Cup win at Southampton last month, could return for short trip to the DW.

The former England striker is back training after suffering a groin injury and could be available.

The 30-year-old was one of seven senior players to miss Wednesday's draw with Marseille and, of the rest, only veteran winger Ryan Giggs is in contention to play, either at Wigan or Tuesday's crucial clash with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Rio Ferdinand, who has not played since suffering a calf injury in the warm-up ahead of United's shock defeat at Wolves earlier this month, and fellow defender Jonny Evans are not expected back until the Liverpool game next Sunday, which means Chris Smalling could continue to deputise in the heart of defence.

United boss Ferguson also believes Antonio Valencia, Park Ji-sung and Anderson will be out for at least another two weeks.

Possible starting XIs
    Wigan: Al Habsi, G Caldwell, Alcaraz, Figueroa, Gohouri, Diame, Watson, N'Zogbia, McCarthy, Rodallega, Moses.

Man United: Van der Sar, Rafael, Evra, Smalling Vidic, Carrick, Fletcher, Scholes, Nani, Rooney, Berbatov.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

attack, attack, attack attack attack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Such an important match for United, really need to get 3 points here!

Will this be available on the Eircom website?

EDIT: just checked - it is! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Who broke twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Some stats a found Courtesy of Yahoo

Manchester United have won all 12 matches they have played against Wigan in all competitions scoring 37 goals and conceding just four.

Wayne Rooney has scored nine goals in 12 games in all competitions against Wigan.

Wigan have only scored one goal in their last seven matches against Man Utd.

Dimitar Berbatov has scored five goals in eight Premier League games against Wigan.

12 members of Manchester United’s current squad have scored Premier League goals against Wigan before.

Charles N’Zogbia has been tackled more than any other player in the top-flight this season; 224 times.

Park Ji-Sung has scored four goals from just five shots on target (eight shots overall) in the Premier League this season.

Wigan have scored four goals from counter-attacks in the Premier League this term; more than any other side.

Manchester United have conceded the first goal in a game on four occasions this season in the Premier League, but have yet to lose (three draws, one win).

Wigan have conceded 10 goals by opposition substitutes in the Premier League this term; more than any other outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any line ups in yet?
    Any possibility of Owen starting?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dahat wrote: »
    Any line ups in yet?
    Any possibility of Owen starting?
    I've gotten the impression that he might but I'd still be very surprised if he does! But not unhappy, he deserves a start tbh.

I've gotten the impression that he might but I'd still be very surprised if he does! But not unhappy, he deserves a start tbh.

Actually hoping he does n leaving Rooney on the bench,get him rilled up for the Chelsea match........
    Rated Rooney 0 (zero) for the Marseille match!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I would like Owen to start today. I dont know why but I have a feeling he could do a good job today. I think this game would suit him more than chico and Rooney needs a break. I also think we should go 442.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

VDS, O'Shea, Smalling, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Nani, Rooney, Chicharito.

Confirmed by MUTV.

Bench: PIG, Brown, Da Silvas, Berbatov, Gibson, King

From RedCafe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hoping Wigan can hold out for a draw but can see UTD winning this one 3 goals to one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

has Dimitar been coming on to Fergie's wife or something?

SlickRic wrote: »
    He has not been at his best the last few games. Also Rooney needs goals and chico needs minutes.

SlickRic wrote: »

Is Rooney Fergie's son or something?
    Not happy with Berba on the bench and Rooney starting,hope Chico gets 4

lol, Owen not even on the bench. Fúck sake fergie.

Looks like 4-5-1 to me with Rooney on left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

United at 4/7 looks good! Can't see any other result other than a United win, they always beat Wigan.

Johner wrote: »
    United at 4/7 looks good! Can't see any other result other than a United win, they always beat Wigan.

have you seen our away form this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Interesting to see Chico start. Hope he can deliver for us today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Got some tough games coming up so hopefully 3-0 up by 60 minutes, bring on King and Gibson, then take off Gibson again to show he's not wanted and hopefully convince him to fúck off. Jobs a good'un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

have you seen our away form this year?

You will still win easily today, it's Wigan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think i'd prefer Berbatov to Rooney at the minute. Rooney needs to back to the training pitch and work on the basics like his first touch and control of the ball.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    I think i'd prefer Berbatov to Rooney at the minute. Rooney needs to back to the training pitch and work on the basics like his first touch and control of the ball.

IMO he can only improve that out on the pitch. I think this might be a 442 with fletcher out right then if we start losing the midfield Rooney will drop left and make it a 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Our best striker this season on the bench, it puzzles me some times

poor king :D

Berba most be livid tbh and who would blame him?

Headshot wrote: »
    Our best striker this season on the bench, it puzzles me some times

poor king :D

Berba most be livid tbh and who would blame him?

Not sure who said it here but how long will a player put up with knockbacks like that?
    Wonder if this means he will start v Chelsea?will we see the same situation as Marseille during the week?

Ah feck sake Fergie, I made Berbatov captain in FPL, you're killing me here!

If anything it is a good sign that he is being rested for this game. If he was not gonna play against Chelsea he would be out there on the pitch today. Chelsea and Liverpool are huge games and Berba has looked a little off for the last couple of games and he also played upfront on his own the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think Rooney will score today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

lol, Owen not even on the bench. Fúck sake fergie.

Looks like 4-5-1 to me with Rooney on left?

You could be right, but I think he may go 4 4 2 with Fletcher RM, Nani LM and Chico/Rooney up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Sopcast stream for anyone interested - [URL="sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/90685"]here[/URL]

Match also here for Eircom broadband users

EDIT: Sopcast link seems to have gone down

Veetle link - here not sure how long it will stay up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A good oppurtunity to improve that mediocre away record. I think Chico will be good for a goal or 2.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think Rooney will score today.
    Does it matter? He's already proved that he can show moments of brilliance and then suck ass the other 98% of the time. I don't care if he scores, I want him to perform!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

now the hunt for a good stream :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Given United's recent form there can be no guarantee's here today.
    Wigan have had a poor season but they've improved recently and could possibly be capable of upsetting a United side who's looked short of the most basic levels of composure, never mind championship form in their most recent games.

No one gave Wolves a chance of beating United and that happened only a few weeks ago.
    With a large number of big games coming up for United this is a must win game, Wigan have weaknesses that will be hard to come by against Chelsea and Liverpool, and therefor should be exploited.

If United concetrate it should be three points in the bag, if they continue their poor form anything could happen.

Glazers Out!

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Sopcast stream for anyone interested - [URL="sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/90685"]here[/URL]

Match also here for Eircom broadband users

EDIT: Sopcast link seems to have gone down

Veetle link - here not sure how long it will stay up

Veetle is good.. but last time it went after 10 min ! lets hope it doesn't happen again

NeVeR wrote: »
    now the hunt for a good stream :)

http://www.tvoo.eu/ch3.html

Channel is holding up though still on ad breaks!!!not sure what language it will be in,i find the non english commentary channels hold up better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont think its a bad idea to make Rooney the main man for this game, he has a terrific record against Wigan.

I think maybe Alex is just trying to get a bit of confidence into him before the Chelsea game.

• Advertisement

http://www.tvoo.eu/ch3.html

Channel is holding up though still on ad breaks!!!not sure what language it will be in,i find the non english commentary channels hold up better

Ya i normally go the non-English after all others fail lol

lets hope this veetle holds up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Im going for a draw here although I am delighted to see Hernandez start. Considering the performances he has put in, his form deserves this start.

°°°°°

Wigan racing out of the blocks.
    Hopefully United can stamp some authority on the game.

Glazers Out!

Dodgy defending there, Vida making amends though. Good start from Wigan.

°°°°°

Smalling and Vidic having a decent start.
    It would be nice to see some more of our players on the ball.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Awful free-kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Some tempo at the moment. Smalling looks on form.

Wigan have been the better team so far

°°°°°

Well done O'Shea, good composure there.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Streaming link?
    one's posted won't work for me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bit of controversy already! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Great play from Chico there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rooney you ****in twat

WTF was Rooney thinking? This has a UTD loss written all over it.

Rooney should of been sent off for that

• Advertisement
Advertisement