Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan V. Manchester United (Setanta Sports 1 - 3.00pm)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

cson wrote: »
    Whatever about the ins and outs of banning him, anyone else think it was an absolute brain fart moment? I mean there was no need whatsoever to even challenge McCarthy let alone elbow him in the head - I really thought Rooney had gotten rid of that side of him.

Itc was utterly brainless and completely unprovoked. He needs to sort himslef out big time. At 10 men, at that stage of the game, with the way Wigan were playing 3 points would have been a huge ask. He is going to do something thats gonna cost us hugely in the next few games if he doesn't cop himself on sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ref seen it and gave the free kick, matter over.

RasTa wrote: »
    Ref seen it and gave the free kick, matter over.

Ref bottled it completely and Rooney is absolutely blessed. If he gets suspended in retrospect I'd have no complaints. What he did was completely retarded in such a massive game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the ref saw it.

nothing will happen so.

that's the matter dealt with.

Fergie's little rant after he was asked about it was childish to say the least though; somehow claiming Rooney is victimised by the FA because he's Wayne Rooney.

if he'd thought about it for 2 seconds, after saying the ref dealt with it, he could've just said my first three lines. but no, for whatever reason, he chose the low road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

As an aside re Fergie's comments; as an Arsenal fan it does give me a chuckle when he fiercely defends Rooney [in spite of clear evidence] and he's taken at his word whereas if/when Wenger does something similar he gets crucified for it. Just the way it is with the meeja I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wenger doesn't see stuff like that, so can't comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The ref saw it and dealt with it, rightly or wrongly doesnt come into it unless the FA decide to change their rules

Was cringing a bit when Fergie said that tbh. I understand he wants to defend his players at all costs and is trying to pre-empt the media witch hunt. But he could just have said nothing. Thats Fergie for you though, he'll defend his players to the hilt in public and crucify them behind closed doors.

However my anger is directed at Rooney for doing it in the first place and putting Fergie in the position where he has to deal with this added distraction in the most important week of our season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

I've been cringing with regards to Fergie since God knows when.

Don't get me wrong he knows his football but has the ability to talk some abundance of dogs bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cson wrote: »
    As an aside re Fergie's comments; as an Arsenal fan it does give me a chuckle when he fiercely defends Rooney [in spite of clear evidence] and he's taken at his word whereas if/when Wenger does something similar he gets crucified for it. Just the way it is with the meeja I guess.

when is he taken at his word? The media are always having a go at him and what he says (and press conferences getting cancelled over it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Crikey, just seen that Rooney incident there. Very silly behaviour and he deserves to be punished. Suspect he will too - depsite arguments that the ref has dealt with it by awarding a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Crikey, just seen that Rooney incident there. Very silly behaviour and he deserves to be punished. Suspect he will too - depsite arguments that the ref has dealt with it by awarding a foul.

With the two games coming up for United and since its Rooney he will get away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

With the two games coming up for United and since its Rooney he will get away with it
    Yeah, but mainly because the ref already dealt with it (however badly) during the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I met a real life Wigan supporter today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Disgusting behaviour from Rooney, deserves to be banned for that carry on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

lordgoat wrote: »
    Course he won't. Ref saw the incident and dealt with it. Wither it's right or wrong that's how things are done in the FA. Right?

Unless the FA change the rules yet again.
    Haven't seen any of the game yet so I won't give an opinion on what should be done.
    However there is precedent for the FA stepping in and banning a player when the ref has only handed out a yellow. Anyone remember Ben Tatcher's assault (can't be called a challenge) on Pedro Mendes?

However since it was their golden boy this time I'd be surprised if anything was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

lordgoat wrote: »
    Course he won't. Ref saw the incident and dealt with it. Wither it's right or wrong that's how things are done in the FA. Right?

Unless the FA change the rules yet again.

He wasnt booked for it so it can be reviewed by the FA to see if further action can be taken.
    If he was booked that is seen as sufficent punishment,open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

mars bar wrote: »
    I met a real life Wigan supporter today.

Rugby League forum >>>>>>>>>

Dave! wrote: »
    Yeah, but mainly because the ref already dealt with it (however badly) during the match.

I obviously see where you are coming from by the BBC showed clearly that the ref didn't see the incident. He blew for a foul in response to the the crowd and players reaction.

I very much suspect that the FA won't see that as the issue having been dealt with though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

dahat wrote: »
    He wasnt booked for it so it can be reviewed by the FA to see if further action can be taken.
    If he was booked that is seen as sufficent punishment,open to correction on this.
    If the incident was seen by the ref which it was and acted upon which it was then there is nothing they can do unless they change the rules.
    That would kinda conflict with Rafas retarded Phacts though..Surprised Pool fans disagree with their beloved. :rolleyes:
    That doesn't take away from the fact that it was a straight red card offence and the referee fooked up but hey it will keep the haterz typing out more crap here so it's all good. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Surely whatever goes into the refs report will determine if the FA look into it... If the ref says he only saw a coming together of players there is more chance of Rooney getting a ban, if he saw a forearm to the head and awarded the free kick for that then there can't be a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

It isnt cast in stone as is pointed out with the pedro mendes one. Didnt adebayor get 3 games for something similar v arsenal? and got it extended to 6 for the run to the arsenal fans. Hard to say if he will get anything, depends if the ref has another look at it before filing his report, he clearly didnt see it, just caught it in his peripheral vision imo.

d22ontour wrote: »
    If the incident was seen by the ref which it was and acted upon which it was then there is nothing they can do unless they change the rules.
    That would kinda conflict with Rafas retarded Phacts though..Surprised Pool fans disagree with their beloved. :rolleyes:
    That doesn't take away from the fact that it was a straight red card offence and the referee fooked up but hey it will keep the haterz typing out more crap here so it's all good. :p

Incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I want him to play in the next two games, he has been muck all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Nothing to do with arguments, it's the Fa's rules. ;)

Nobody is saying he shouldn't be banned as you well know but eh rules are rules etc...

daithijjj wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Now that I think of it, if it incident is mentioned in the after match report, it is considered as having been dealt with. If is not mentioned, then the FA can act as it means the matter has not been dealt with..

Remember that being spoke about somewhere before.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Nothing to do with arguments, it's the Fa's rules. ;)

Nobody is saying he shouldn't be banned as you well know but eh rules are rules etc...

Indeed. I am just saying that I suspect that he will get pulled up on it. Irrespective of what silly rule exist, he deserves to be pulled up on it. Agreed?

Now that I think of it, if it incident is mentioned in the after match report, it is considered as having been dealt with. If is not mentioned, then the FA can act as it means the matter has not been dealt with..

Remember that being spoke about somewhere before.

Yea, thats kinda what i meant when i said it depends if he has a look at it again. If martinez was in his ear about it at halftime he might have another look at it. He wouldnt have any other reason to put it in his report. Is a ref allowed to do that? im not sure. What i mean is, if he files a report it would have to tally with the 'punishment' handed out. In this case there was no punishment worthy of being added to a report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Haven't seen any of the game yet so I won't give an opinion on what should be done.
    I've just seen it now. What an absolute scumbag of a man, won't be impressed if he gets away with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

He's always doing stuff like what he did. The chap is a born and bred natural scumbag. If he wasnt playing football he would either be in prison or terrorizing people in a housing estate. He is a terrible human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pauleta wrote: »
    He's always doing stuff like what he did. The chap is a born and bred natural scumbag. If he wasnt playing football he would either be in prison or terrorizing people in a housing estate. He is a terrible human being.

Ridiculous statement tbh. Have you ever met the chap? Have you a degree in psychology?

Rooneys actions yesterday were out of order and he should have been sent off. He's also lost lost his head many times in the past on the pitch and has cheated o his wife on more than one occasion.

Now that doesn't make pretty reading and he doesnt deserve any sympathy for the criticism he gets over it, but to jump from that to the views in your post above are, well, just tabloid style trash.

The amount of self righteous bs been thrown around here lately is actually depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

After receiving a warning for my above post i would like to say that Wayne Rooney is a fine upstanding individual. A man of great honour and valour. A role model to all and his honestly and integrity shall never be questioned again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

After receiving a warning for my above post i would like to say that Wayne Rooney is a fine upstanding individual. A man of great honour and valour. A role model to all and his honestly and integrity shall never be questioned again.

Mmm, lemony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Read the morning that the FA can still stitch him up if they want but they'd have to deem it an exceptional case as they did previously with Ben 'Niceguy' Thatcher.

If the ref's report says he saw it, then that's the only thing the FA could do.

gosplan wrote: »
    Read the morning that the FA can still stitch him up if they want but they'd have to deem it an exceptional case as they did previously with Ben 'Niceguy' Thatcher.

If the ref's report says he saw it, then that's the only thing the FA could do.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

mixednuts wrote: »
    ?

Oh yeah, sorry. I meant to type '**** him up'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just saw the incident, thuggish behaviour. John Hartson was spot on just there on MOTD2, undefendable. Phelan looked to be defending Rooney post match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney is an idiot for doing what he did just like every other footballer that has done something similar over the past ... well ever. Case closed until the fa does or doesn't do something about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

No charge from the FA for Rooney. Anyone surprised? I'm certainly not.

keano_afc wrote: »
    No charge from the FA for Rooney. Anyone surprised? I'm certainly not.

i'd have been more surprised if he was charged, considering the ref saw it and dealt with it - so by their own rules there is very little the FA could have done.

Only people who would have been expecting for something to be done are those that love to single United and United players out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he should be charged for the conduct, but themz the rules.

this isn't about preferential treatment, it's about the rules the FA have set in place.

if the ref said he saw it, which he didn't going by the replays, then, rightly or wrongly, there's nothing that can be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

i'd have been more surprised if he was charged, considering the ref saw it and dealt with it - so by their own rules there is very little the FA could have done.

Only people who would have been expecting for something to be done are those that love to single United and United players out.

FFS. This is a player who deliberately ran toward and elbowed a young player in teh face deliberately. It has NOTHING to do with singling out United or Rooney. Personally, ANY player who does that should be charged and punished irrespective of what club he plays for.

SlickRic wrote: »
    he should be charged for the conduct, but themz the rules.

this isn't about preferential treatment, it's about the rules the FA have set in place.

if the ref said he saw it, which he didn't going by the replays, then, rightly or wrongly, there's nothing that can be done.

Bet your bollox if it was Barton that done it he would be up against the FA , if the ref seen it or not .

Suppose it wasn't Barton and those are the (flawed) rules , so time to move on .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

karma_ wrote: »
    FFS. This is a player who deliberately ran toward and elbowed a young player in teh face deliberately. It has NOTHING to do with singling out United or Rooney. Personally, ANY player who does that should be charged and punished irrespective of what club he plays for.

This. Even the most blinkered of Utd fans cant deny that ye have got away with some humdingers this season, at vital times in games. Neville at West Brom and Brown against Villa spring to mind.

• Advertisement

Your dead right !

If you believe in your own user name then sit back and watch the balance been performed .

But it was stated several times that the ref saw the incident, and dealt with it (however wrongly or ineffectually he did so) at the time, so the FA were not in a position to meet out a retrospective punishment for it.

By wanting Rooney punished, despite the facts of the case meaning he should (wrongly) get away with it, you are wanting the FA to single him out and treat him differently in spite of their rules (and previous rulings on similar cases).

Argue for the rules, in general, to be changed so that players are charged regardless of whether the ref made a poor call (while calling it) but surely you can see that it would be unfair to change rules and procedures mid-season on an ad-hoc basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

mixednuts wrote: »
    Bet your bollox if it was Barton that done it he would be up against the FA , if the ref seen it or not

The FA wants the referee to be viewed as infallible, regardless of the player/club involved.

I don't accept your point unless you can cite a previous incident.

keano_afc wrote: »
    This. Even the most blinkered of Utd fans cant deny that ye have got away with some humdingers this season, at vital times in games. Neville at West Brom and Brown against Villa spring to mind.

Funny how ABUs only ever remember the decisions that go for United, not the ones that go for the other clubs, or against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyone who thinks that this is special treatment for Rooney or United is quite frankly deluded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement