Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully comprehensive car insurance and personal injury

Options
  • 26-02-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Okay, I know the difference between fully comp, third party insurance etc. But one question arises each year I go to renew my car insurance... If you are the cause of an accident and injure yourself, is there an advantage in having fully comprehensive insurance if you already have good health insurance and your car is not worth a lot (say €1k)? It's really only the cover for personal injuries that draws me to fully comp insurance but is this a false economy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

The cover you have as a DRIVER if you have comprehensive cover varies quite a lot and usually only pays out in the event of DEATH.

If you have comp cover solely for this benefit, then you are wasting money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

tbh you only need comp if you have a high value car and/or car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Aha, I suspected as much... Got suspicious when I saw on an insurance website the mention of a payout of 5k if you lose both legs, 12k if you die etc. Miserable amounts really if any of these things were to happen. Thanks for responding...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Comprehensive insurance won't pay you a penny for injury to you, the driver, that's an extra offered in most renewals but the comp. element of the policy is primarily to protect your pocket if you have a new or high value car that you couldn't afford to replace if you caused the crash that writes it off.

As another poster said, if the car is low value then it's not really worth bothering with fully comp.

Advertisement