Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing External Plastering

• 26-02-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience removing external plaster from a house. Is it difficult? I'm building a new house at the minute and I'm having an absolute nightmare with the plastering both inside and out. The guy I hired to do it has done a terrible job. The whole thing is a mess. Needless to say he won't be getting paid. Anyway I've had to give him the sack but I'm seriously considering getting the whole outside redone. The only problem with this is that I'm going to hack off all of the plaster myself. I really want to know what I'm getting myself in for prior to starting. Would really appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Sorry can't give you any advice on this as I have never done it before. However I can put you in contact with a top class plasterer who would be able to look at it and give you plenty of help. PM if you want his number as I don't want to put his name and number up here. He's in the Meath/Dublin area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Fair play to you. I am delighted to see someone calling a halt to the disgraceful plastering that is been done. However you have a problem because no reputable plasterer will go in on another plasterers work. Also you need a really good plasterer to cover up bad plastering. It is nearly impossible to remove all the cement plaster. The inside is also a nightmare to try to make middling a bad skim. Again no reputable plasterer will even try. Without seeing it I would say a lime putty skim is your best option for the inside. Can you PM me some pics.
    Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

i have chipped off plaster on outside of a house before and its not a nice job.i hired out a chipping hammer (small kango) got a good pair of ear muffs and goggles. it was a dashed house i done and the stuff was welded to it

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Thanks lads for the replies. I know I'm going to give myself plenty of hardship hacking it off but to be honest I'd rather do that than to have to look at it every time I go outside. It really is an appualing job. Pics to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 WAYNE_R2G

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION.....REQUIRES NO HACKING OFF.....I AM A PLASTERER WHO APPLIES THIS FINISH...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

WAYNE_R2G wrote: »
    HAVE YOU CONSIDERED EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION.....REQUIRES NO HACKING OFF.....I AM A PLASTERER WHO APPLIES THIS FINISH...

YES WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR AND WE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO HERE.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I THINK, THE ONLY WAY TO DO THIS, WOULD BE TO GET A KANGO HAMMER WITH A WIDE CHISEL BIT AND CHIP AWAY AT IT. COMPLETE PAIN IN THE ARSE BUT NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Sorry, just felt the need to do that in block capitals, SO YOU ALL THINK I'M SHOUTING!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

If it's a sand/cement render then I'd sparrow pick all over and remove the soffits and reveals. Keep the wall wet and scud with a mix of the same strength, scratch and float. Each procedure getting the mix a little weaker. Internally, remove soffits and reveals and re-bead. Adhesive and bond out while tacky straighten and plumb. Then skim as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

watched some lad do a whole house in navan last week with a kango,didn't take him long to remove plaster from outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

That may be so but if the walls are scudded the right way and the plaster applied the right way, then it will not come off in slabs. Each score of the Kango chisel will merely remove just a little over the width of the spade. Go figure! Or perhaps Navanman really does exist :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement