Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought a new 360 slime with the 250GB HD and it's very noisy

• 26-02-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

I mean abnormally noisy. Basically, I had the old one that came out in 2006 and the DVD drive broke. Now, I've been without an xbox for probably over a year. So I dunno if they were noisy before but when I'm installing a game to the HD, it's taking a long, long time to install Fable 2 (upwards of 5 minutes as I speak).
    So did I get a dodgy one (I got it new from a well known videogame shop) or is it really this noisy when installing and taking so long.

I've been used to the PS3 for the last year or so and I'm not sure if the xbox is honestly just a lot louder or if it's a dodgey xbox.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well i had 20gb one amd now i got new slim one. I got ps3 too.

So old xbox is like freaking aircraft, i even call it xblender. New one is better, but it is not silent. Its still buzzler. Ps3 is very good with noise. Way better. So you might overreact to noise of xbox.

As for instalation, it took me good 5-10 mins to install black ops. So i think you got it normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Installation time sounds right, can take 15, nearly 20 minutes depending on the game and also if there are any light scratched to the disc that seems to cause it to take longer.

As for the noise, if it's the new Slim then you're looking for it to be completely silent when playing an installed game, if not then there's a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

It's noisy still, I wouldn't call it sillent and I suppose compared to the PS3 it's just me over-worrying but of the few games I have on it so far: Fable 2, Batman: AA, Tenchu Z, Overlord 1 and Tekken 6 but none of them would be sillent. Don't get me wrong it's nowhere near as noisy when it was installing the games but I can clearly hear some kind of noise. I mean right now I've just switched it on (with Fable 2 inside it) but on the dashboard and it's not that noisy but it's far from silent. I'm not in the mood to trek with the thing down to the shop.

Does anyone know what Game's warranty is on new consoles? I'm gonna stick with it for a few weeks and hopefully it'll be grand.

Alright, it's been on since I posted this first (so roughly... 4 hours and thirty minutes). Seems to die down right away when I started playing Fable. But it was fairly noisy just on the dashboard.

I suppose it's actually just it's worse compared to the PS3 and I was over-reacting. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

Just while on the topic of downloading game as I dont want to start a new thread for a small question but when dowloading a game to your hardrive does the disc spin as I have a badly scratched black ops disc and I do not want to see it wreck my new console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Lordhogo wrote: »
    Just while on the topic of downloading game as I dont want to start a new thread for a small question but when dowloading a game to your hardrive does the disc spin as I have a badly scratched black ops disc and I do not want to see it wreck my new console.

Downloading or installing?

If you meant installing (as in installing from the game disc to the HD), no, it wouldn't do damge AFAIK. If it just gets stuck on the installer then you know to stop it and take it out.

• Advertisement

Lordhogo wrote: »

It shouldn't affect your 360 at all; the Xbox initially just checks if the game disc is in the drive, but reads all the data from the Hard Drive.

Depending on how badly damaged the disk is, you may need to rent/borrow to do the install (Xbox won't be able to read it). After that, just use your original disc to play the game.

You could try boiling the disk... it's worked out for me a few times:

Advertisement