Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Elected TD's

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

kilburn wrote: »
    And on the funny side here is one from a granny saying he told her to feck off.
    http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/141538-granny-claims-willie-odea-told-her-feck-off-9.html

Tbf, he has form for that. I've heard quite a few accounts of his bad grace whenever he meets someone who doesn't fawn at him while he's canvassing. A few years back he called to my parents' door and my brother answered the door. My brother had died his hair green for some fancy dress party, Willie took one look at him and turned around and walked away.

He also yelled at one of my uncles a couple of weeks ago that if he was so smart why didn't he run the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Despite everything that happened, the fact that Willie lied in court and had to be thrown off his ministry position, the fact that he was always going to blindly follow Fiannal Fail no matter what even they have destroyed the economy, the fact that he is the classic example of Parish pump politics at its best, he still ended up coming 2nd, getting more 20%. Im amashed to be from Limerick, it seemed to reverberate all around the more culchie parts of the country, because in Dublin the average was about 10% to 15% Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The 4 seats have shown no surprises really, we all expected Power to get the road. I wonder and her is the big one now folks are we going to have 2 FG Ministers from Limerick City or if Labour hop into bed with them will Jan give us 3 Ministers from the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Noonan might get Finance. O'Donnell a junior ministry. Jan nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

yankinlk wrote: »
    Jesus are you never happy? FF obliterated and the poll topper in limerick reduced to the last seat. He had to phone people up on the day of the election begging for votes on voicemail.
    Just cause people picked a party member you don't like don't call them ignorant. The people have spoken, all the people.

FF being obliterated is great news.

The fact that lots of our city believe that a useless lying double-standards perjurer is representative of us is sickening and saddening

• Advertisement

Can we all park our bitterness and look to the future and see what our new government will bring to our fine city :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think Noonan and Jan will be fine ministers if selected. Though the rumour in political circles for the alst number of months was that Noonan's price for taking Finance in Opposition was that he wants to be Ceann Comhairle, leaving just Jan, or if a minority government, nobody in the worst case scenario.

O'Donnell, just ask any civil servant that has had to deal with him, they wonder how (or if) he dresses himself in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

All I want to know is who I contact about some dope dropping off Willie O'Dea leaflets managed to break my letter box flap off :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

ninty9er wrote: »
    O'Donnell, just ask any civil servant that has had to deal with him, they wonder how (or if) he dresses himself in the morning.

I didn't even vote for him but you are doing no favours to Peter Power or yourself by showing such bitterness. If we are judging candidates than I will have no problem recalling the ineptitude of Peter Power while he was a seat holder.

All the best to the elected candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

zig wrote: »
    Despite everything that happened, the fact that Willie lied in court and had to be thrown off his ministry position, the fact that he was always going to blindly follow Fiannal Fail no matter what even they have destroyed the economy, the fact that he is the classic example of Parish pump politics at its best, he still ended up coming 2nd, getting more 20%. Im amashed to be from Limerick, it seemed to reverberate all around the more culchie parts of the country, because in Dublin the average was about 10% to 15% Fianna Fail.

He came third. Still too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

iguana wrote: »
    Well at least you can now still be assured of him turning up at the funeral of your loved one and letting your shock at his bare-faced cheek momentarily distract you from your grief.:mad:

Ah sure thats all he's good for anyway, turning up at funerals, God forbid he'd do anything worthwhile like bring some much needed IDA jobs here :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Kess73 wrote: »
    What annoyed me was his speech/interview last night. He went about how 5,000 of "his" votes were taken from him by the change in the voting areas, and that he was a "victim" of the feeling against Finnia Fail.

He also went on about how FF needed a leadership change earlier and seemed to be painting himself as being one that brought that up publically long before it happened.

He then went on to lavish praise on Micheal Martin.

I seem to remember him coming out with similar guff when Cowen took over from Ahern, but I can clearly remember O'Dea as being one of the most vocal defenders of Cowen so where he is getting his revisionist tale of him being the one who was speaking out for leadership change is beyond me.

Just a shame he got in and is now able to continue the tradition of Limerick city having at least one totally ineffective FF Dail seat.
    Willie only turned bitter against Cowen and FF when he was caught lying under oath and felt Cowen should have toughed it out against the greens so willie could keep his little bum in the merc for longer,if that hadnt happened he would be trotting out the same sh*t as the others,"we had to make hard decisions blah blah".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I'd like to see 1 of our new TD's get the enterprise & trade position. That's the key 1, the local economy needs jobs, let's forget about the past and apply pressure on the new guys to deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Perhaps Peter Power will take this as an opportunity to go back to education and skill up. There is always a place waiting for him in the UL Student Union.

Jigga wrote: »
    Perhaps Peter Power will take this as an opportunity to go back to education and skill up. There is always a place waiting for him in the UL Student Union.

I'd be more sympathetic towards Power than O Dea. O Dea was a senior minister and still couldn't do anything. He may not even have got elected if that report came out before the election.

apparently Fintan O'Toole is touting Jan for Health can not see this happening at all.

Denners wrote: »
    I didn't even vote for him but you are doing no favours to Peter Power or yourself by showing such bitterness. If we are judging candidates than I will have no problem recalling the ineptitude of Peter Power while he was a seat holder.

All the best to the elected candidates.
    It was a direct quote from a senior member of staff at County Hall to my mother. I don't see how that can be construed as bitterness.

I've lost elections before and more than likely will again at some point, but there's no credible way of knowing me (which, fair enough, you don't) and associating such a comment with bitterness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

It was a direct quote from a senior member of staff at County Hall to my mother. I don't see how that can be construed as bitterness.

I've lost elections before and more than likely will again at some point, but there's no credible way of knowing me (which, fair enough, you don't) and associating such a comment with bitterness.

A campaigner for an outgoing TD makes a derogatory comment about a newly elected TD from a different party, I would classify such an act as one of bitterness.

I don't know you but please don't lower yourself to the levels that we were so accustomed to under Mr. Power.

I've said my piece anyway.

A campaigner for an outgoing TD makes a derogatory comment about a newly elected TD from a different party, I would classify such an act as one of bitterness.

I don't know you but please don't lower yourself to the levels that we were so accustomed to under Mr. Power.

I've said my piece anyway.

Yes, I would agree, just because somebody in county hall says something to your mother, that doesn't necessarily make the statement true. I don't know either canditate, but Power like most canditates took his defeat well and I for one wish him well in whatever he does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think we can leave the debate about what happened/was said, during the election campaigns now.

• Advertisement

I'll mind myself thanks. I'm well able to fight my own battles, but if you insist on slurring someone like that at least point to some backup so that there can be a context put on it.

That statement is meaningless as you posted it.

I don't intend to engage in a tit for tat exchange with someone who has picked up on the least important part of what I actually said.

Like I said, I've seen defeat more than once and I gladly conceded to my opponents. I am not a bitter person, and strangely enough, as a result of my job I have empirical evidence to back that claim up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think Noonan and Jan will be fine ministers if selected. Though the rumour in political circles for the alst number of months was that Noonan's price for taking Finance in Opposition was that he wants to be Ceann Comhairle, leaving just Jan, or if a minority government, nobody in the worst case scenario.

Seems all the rumours you hear are wrong. Delighted for Noonan but there's a long way to go to rebuild the country after Fianna Fail shattered it.

I wish him the best. I'm assuming we'll get Jan as a junior too now. Don't think she's likely to get Irish Aid though as we have a Labour minister in Foreign Affairs.

Dan Neville may also get a junior in health given the commitment to mental health in the PFG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I wish him the best. I'm assuming we'll get Jan as a junior too now. Don't think she's likely to get Irish Aid though as we have a Labour minister in Foreign Affairs.

Dan Neville may also get a junior in health given the commitment to mental health in the PFG.

I'd say she'll get something in 2013 when Kenny says he'll reshuffle.

Advertisement