Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darkys rom on Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

ok found the problem there is no samsung android driver on my laptop and ****ty windows 7 cant find one this getting fustrating lol atleast i can still use my phone as it is if worst comes to worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Forget about transferring files by usb, Get swiftp to setup the phone as an FTP server and use Filezilla to drag and drop the files to the phone over wifi. This is the only way to transfer files, no messing with cables

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

superfish wrote: »
    ok found the problem there is no samsung android driver on my laptop and ****ty windows 7 cant find one this getting fustrating lol atleast i can still use my phone as it is if worst comes to worst
    Take a look at post # 196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

ok pog il tell you where i stand i had to go back and start from step one so i wiped the data and the catche and installed odin now ive rebooted and set up phone for first use I have a lovely balck and green setup. not this is where im stuck ive to turn on usb debugging which i did and connect to my pc again but my pc wont pick up my phone its so annoying cas ive done the hard part i jut need to save the resurection file to the phone and install

if you're copying over files to your phone from the PC then turn off usb debugging and then in usb settings choose 'Mass Storage'
    Then copy over the file to your internal SD card

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Forget about transferring files by usb, Get swiftp to setup the phone as an FTP server and use Filezilla to drag and drop the files to the phone over wifi. This is the only way to transfer files, no messing with cables
    ok im going to give that a try just the guy in the video says you have to have usb debugging on
    G1032 wrote: »
    if you're copying over files to your phone from the PC then turn off usb debugging and then in usb settings choose 'Mass Storage'
    Then copy over the file to your internal SD card
    ive done this and if i click into my files icon you can clearly see ive both resurection and 9.4 but first i need to complete the process shown in the vid by installing resurection to the internal sd with debugging I cant seem to move the file to the internal sd I assumed it was already on as ive the external removed so when i go into recovery i get 3 or four options one is install from zip and others are to clear catch so i click install from zip and i get the message there is nothing to install i also notice that my options are blue an the guy in the video are red confused.com

ok im going to give that a try just the guy in the video says you have to have usb debugging on

Ah, I thought you were further than this. disregard what I said about using Swiftp in that case, use it any other time. Odin needs usb debugging on. I thought You were on Darkys, a simple reboot to clockworkmod recovery upgrades to 9.4

well ive gone wrong somewhere I can see i have the files on my phone but when i go into recovery it wont install them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

do you have clockwork mod recovery? ie, did you start with the steps in the original post in this thread?

have you defo placed them in the right place? on the internal SD? not the removable card.

ok guys thank you all so much for the help it turns out what happened to my phone has happened to quite a few the only way round it is to install an app called rom manager it basically flashes your phone for you and installs clockwork too then it will install any rom you select it worked like a charm for me ive got 9.2 fully installed now and just giving my phone a charge before using it to install 9.4 again guys thank you all so very much il be installing it on my girlfriends phone tommorow, its so much faster already

• Advertisement

Remember 9.4 needs wipe selected info Darkys configurator.

ok I got 9.4 looks nice and I did not wipe before install because I had just wiped before installing resurection maybe thats where ive gone wrong. im having a problem with xt9 predictive text it wont turn on you have to turn it on and off everytime you want to text is there a fix for this ?

ok I got 9.4 looks nice and I did not wipe before install because I had just wiped before installing resurection maybe thats where ive gone wrong. im having a problem with xt9 predictive text it wont turn on you have to turn it on and off everytime you want to text is there a fix for this ?

I told you, you need wipe when coming from 9.2. Its a new kernel. It doesn't matter that you wiped before 9.2. Flash again and this time wipe

I just installed go sms and it seems to have fixed the problem so think il leave it alone now its all working as should be so il wait for a newer version to come out and il wipe an install that one cheers for all the help po

I just installed go sms and it seems to have fixed the problem so think il leave it alone now its all working as should be so il wait for a newer version to come out and il wipe an install that one cheers for all the help po

So you're not wiping, its the one rom Darky insisted you must wipe for, all others could be upgrade without wipe but not this one, foolish not to IMO

So you're not wiping, its the one rom Darky insisted you must wipe for, all others could be upgrade without wipe but not this one, foolish not to

really ? ok then im just worried about doing it again because i used rom manager to install it so unsure of how to do it il give it a go though you got me worried now ha ha

• Advertisement

I think I know the mistake you're making, is it that when in recovery you're selecting apply sdcard:update.zip when you should be selecting install zip from sd card and navigating to the Darkys file at the bottom.

On 9.4 you will have Dark Voodoo Recovery which is black with grey text, hold power and select recovery to boot to it.

yea you were right what ive just done is rocovey, wipe data, wipe catche, update zip lol and it did nothing so then went to install zip and chose darky rom 9.4 let it do its thing now im just rebooting was this way ok ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone able to install Angry Birds Rio on 9.4 ?

Removed SD card adn it installed, Aparently it's a known bug.
    Either that or unmount the card.

Ste- wrote: »
    Anyone able to install Angry Birds Rio on 9.4 ?

Yeah, installed fine. If you're having problems installing apps with 9.4, copy it to your internal sd, unmount your external sd card, install it and then remount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Yeah, installed fine. If you're having problems installing apps with 9.4, copy it to your internal sd, unmount your external sd card, install it and then remount

Just did, thanks PogMoThoin.

• Advertisement

ok im all good to go 9.4 is class I still had the xt9 problem though even after a wipe an reinstall but go sms seems to have sorted that again pog your a star its all thanks to you, you really know your stuff I think you should be made a mod :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Is anyone on 9.4 missing the adblock program that was included in the 9.2 & 9.3 builds?

cdb wrote: »
    Is anyone on 9.4 missing the adblock program that was included in the 9.2 & 9.3 builds?

What adblock program? I never had any, maybe you installed it yourself and now its not showing after a wipe.

What adblock program? I never had any, maybe you installed it yourself and now its not showing after a wipe.
    If you didn't have it then its most likely I downloaded it in a market frenzy post Darky's 9.2 and thought the source was Darky's ROM. Thanks for clearing it up.

http://lifehacker.com/#!5612338/adfree-blocks-ads-on-your-rooted-android-phone

hi cbd the above is a link to the adblocker you were on about hope this helps

ok im all good to go 9.4 is class I still had the xt9 problem though even after a wipe an reinstall but go sms seems to have sorted that again pog your a star its all thanks to you, you really know your stuff I think you should be made a mod :-)

Glad to see you finaly got sorted. regarding the xt9 problem , what keyboard are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi Superfish,
    How are you finding the phone since you installed Darkys Rom? Have you noted an increase in Battery life etc ??
    I have a Galaxy S just over a week and am tempted to do this.

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Glad to see you finaly got sorted. regarding the xt9 problem , what keyboard are you using?

im using the samsung 3x4 keypad as dont like the gingerbread or qwerty and I previously had go sms before wipe so thats what im used to it was just pure luck it happened to fix the xt9 problem, pcs are so much easier to mod and reinstall these phones remind me of the old pcs when you had to install everything your self in dos mode

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi Superfish,
    How are you finding the phone since you installed Darkys Rom? Have you noted an increase in Battery life etc ??
    hi ger all I can say is after suffering with samsungs 2.2 laggy crap for so long this is awsome its super fast and does not freze up when using some apps, im afraid its still too early for me to comment on batterylife although I have been on it constantly since lastnight and all day today thats including installing everything and im down to about 30% battery, I know with that kind of use before I would be lucky to see 7 hours use although Il really notice once I give it a fresh charge. to be honest everything is just so much nicer well worth doing it just be carful not to be a butterfingers like me and put it straight into download mode ha ha

http://lifehacker.com/#!5612338/adfree-blocks-ads-on-your-rooted-android-phone

hi cbd the above is a link to the adblocker you were on about hope this helps
    Thats the one I was after superfish. Cheers.

• Advertisement

cdb wrote: »
    Thats the one I was after superfish. Cheers.
    no probs ive just installed it myself hate them ads with a passion. wow what a great app worked perfect

im using the samsung 3x4 keypad as dont like the gingerbread or qwerty and I previously had go sms before wipe so thats what im used to it was just pure luck it happened to fix the xt9 problem, pcs are so much easier to mod and reinstall these phones remind me of the old pcs when you had to install everything your self in dos mode

I upgraded last night to 9.4 from 9.3. I use samsung qwerty and my xt9 is fine, must have been something to do with go sms.
    By the way do you have Darkys Rom config app installed, because thats all you'll need from now on to update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Gerard93

Thanks Superfish for the reply, I think I'll give it a go alright, there's more than enough info on this thread about doing it anyway - Thanks.

Ger.

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    I upgraded last night to 9.4 from 9.3. I use samsung qwerty and my xt9 is fine, must have been something to do with go sms.
    By the way do you have Darkys Rom config app installed, because thats all you'll need from now on to update.
    yes I installed it before I put 9.4 on and used it to do a wipe but to be honest any future updates Il be using rom manager its so much easier and does all the leg work for you. its deffo not go sms that was the prob because I did a wipe before installing 9.4 so go was not even on it when I was having the prob I did read on the web that this was a common problem in 9.2 and a few people are having it in this version to be honest if I could not fix it Id just use the qwerty keypad instead as ha dthis on my old blackberry although it would take some time getting used to again

yes I installed it before I put 9.4 on and used it to do a wipe but to be honest any future updates Il be using rom manager its so much easier and does all the leg work for you. its deffo not go sms that was the prob because I did a wipe before installing 9.4 so go was not even on it when I was having the prob I did read on the web that this was a common problem in 9.2 and a few people are having it in this version to be honest if I could not fix it Id just use the qwerty keypad instead as ha dthis on my old blackberry although it would take some time getting used to again

Fair enough whatever works for you.
    I'm finding battery much better on 9.4. At 72% after 12 hours above average use.Let's hope it keeps up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

When you go from a sense rom to a non-sense one is there any way to get the HTC browser back?

EGriff wrote: »
    When you go from a sense rom to a non-sense one is there any way to get the HTC browser back?

??????? Think you're on the wrong thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I've had a few issues with 9.4. Just wiped reflashed 9.4 hoping that things work better this time. If not, it'll be back to 9.3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi Superfish,
    I've had a few issues with 9.4. Just wiped reflashed 9.4 hoping that things work better this time. If not, it'll be back to 9.3.

If you don`t like or are not happy with 9.4, I strongly suggest you try Insanity 6.8 ROM w/ Damian kernel, for me I found it faster and bug free...

• Advertisement

lewis wrote: »
    If you don`t like or are not happy with 9.4, I strongly suggest you try Insanity 6.8 ROM w/ Damian kernel, for me I found it faster and bug free...

I'm gonna try this I think. On 9.4 with no issues but I've seen you mention this before.........

Is it 0.6.8 in post #2 at the following link?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843019

If not can you post a link please

Also, coming from 9.4 will I need to disable Voodoo Lagfix??

G1032 wrote: »
    Is it 0.6.8 in post #2 at the following link?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843019

If not can you post a link please

Also, coming from 9.4 will I need to disable Voodoo Lagfix??

Yeah.

Always disable any lag fixes and tweaks just to be on the safe side, it takes about 10 minutes!

Speed has never been an issue on Darkys. 1ghz is 1ghz (for the most part).

Everythign seems to be working grand now. Batterylife to come in a day or two...

Speed has never been an issue on Darkys. 1ghz is 1ghz (for the most part).

Everythign seems to be working grand now. Batterylife to come in a day or two...

True 1ghz is 1ghz, but not if its 1.6 or with Damian 1.2, he`s working on a new one that`s 1280....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i want to uprade to darkys rom.
    i am currently on 2.2 froyo unrooted.
    i cannot connect to kies s/w on my pc. the s/w does not find my phone
    it was fine when i upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2
    any help/suggestions?

• Advertisement

any help/suggestions?

Forget about Kies, if you flash to Darkys you will never need it again

There's easier ways to transfer files than by usb, Get Swiftp to setup the phone as an FTP server and use Filezilla client on your pc to drag and drop the files to the phone over wifi. This is the only way to transfer files, no messing with cables and no using Samsungs stupid Kies software

There's easier ways to transfer files than by usb, Get Swiftp to setup the phone as an FTP server and use Filezilla client on your pc to drag and drop the files to the phone over wifi. This is the only way to transfer files, no messing with cables and no using Samsungs stupid Kies software

I`ve said this to so many people but they seems to think they need Kies to do anything, use windows explorerererer!!!!

any help/suggestions?

I had the same problem windows does not have the drivers installed to recognize the phone I tried a few things including driver fetch until the lads here kindly saved me the leg work with this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728929

If you insist on doing it without cables I suggest using dropbox . Throw the file into a folder there, and watch it download onto your phone using the dropbox app.

Cable isnt so bad either though, especially for the large rom file which is >250mb.

If you insist on doing it without cables I suggest using dropbox . Throw the file into a folder there, and watch it download onto your phone using the dropbox app.

Cable isnt so bad either though, especially for the large rom file which is >250mb.

Yes but then you gotta copy or move the file from your dropbox folder to your sd card (in the case of a new rom), with ftp you put it where you want it, copy it once. ;)

I also use dropbox for some things, but for multiple files or big files like roms I use ftp

• Advertisement
Advertisement