Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray hen in Riverwood, Carpenterstown

Options
  • 26-02-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

Last night there was a hen on my front lawn. I went out with my son and two nieces and the hen was quite tame, coming quite close.

When we went back inside it hung around the front door, even attacking the window a few times.

Overnight it slept on some leaves in the corner of the porch. It was there at 6am but gone an hour later. It appeared to have moved to the next garden.

Late in the morning I gave it some sunflower seeds which it devoured.

Anyone missing a domesticated hen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

could you give a detailed description of the hen.
    height? weight? any distinguishing facial features.
    cluck with an accent?

really though - do you live near any farms or agri-businesses.
    if youre where i think you are theres a travellers estate near you, maybe its theirs.
    otherwise keep it as a pet. name her chantelle and build her a fully detached east facing roost. let her have the odd c0ck and get free eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

yummie, a free "snackbox":D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've heard a cock crowing a couple of times while waiting for a train at Coolmine, so it appears that someone around the area keeps some poultry. I'd feckin' hate to live next door to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I know of someone who keeps a couple of chickens in Lohunda. I'll make enquiries and see if any are missing.

I would prefer to have chickens near me than dogs who spend the day barking.

The chickens can be kept in this kind of thing

http://www.keeping-chickens.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/eglu-egglooegloo.gif

I wanted to get one, but was refused planning permission by the appropriate authorities (Mrs Murt).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I saw a stray red hen is the Phoenix Park near to Knockmaroon Gate about a year ago. More and more people are keeping hens as pets and for eggs so more stray hens appearing around the place is to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

One of the neighbourhood kids told me he saw a sign about a "Lost Hen" in Clonsilla, close to the Discount Fuels petrol station.

I cycled up there but didn't see any signs alongside the Clonsilla Road.
    When I asked the boy again he said it was in one of the estates but he didn't remember which one.

So, if anyone lives in Clonsilla, can you please keep a look out for a poster and PM me the info on it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A nearby resident contacted the DSPCA about the hen. The DSPCA had been contacted about a missing hen.

The DSPCA came out a short time ago and took the hen away. We miss her already.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MYP82

daymobrew wrote: »
    A nearby resident contacted the DSPCA about the hen. The DSPCA had been contacted about a missing hen.

The DSPCA came out a short time ago and took the hen away. We miss her already.

has anyone claimed it? take it back if not if u miss her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hopefully no fowl play was involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Just seen her crossing the road!

• Advertisement

What's with all the hen sightings. It's like Dublin 15's Sasquatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Zaph wrote: »
    I've heard a cock crowing a couple of times while waiting for a train at Coolmine, so it appears that someone around the area keeps some poultry. I'd feckin' hate to live next door to them though.

I live in Delwood, very close to the train station, and I thought I heard a cock crowing recently, but didn't believe my ears. Are farm animals allowed in private back gardens?

Advertisement