Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish and moving to Dubai

Options
  • 26-02-2011 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi
    Im planning on moving to Dubai in September 2011 to teach and am quite nervous as am going on my own! Any tips on where best to live? Do's and Don'ts? And where the Irish hang out?:):cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jojonagh

hi leelaw am hoping to do the same!!! do you have a job yet?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 leelaw17

no not yet bu am hoping to here something soon, how about you?Scary move but i hear all good things!

have you applied to many places? I've applied to a fair few but heard nothing! anywhere around jumeirah is supposed to be the place to go!!

ya iv seen that name popping up a good bit while iv been sussing it out on the internet-dya mind me asking what sector you are looking for work in?All this craic going out at home need something completely different + sun n Dubai seems to tick all the boxes

yeah sun sounds fab! im primary, u? I've a cousin in uae at the mo so she's kind of checking out stuff for me?! pm me if u want me to ask anything r dat!

• Advertisement

cheers, im a primary teacher too, sound but iv no idea how to private message on this it took me awhile to see how to post something up-what county you from?

so were in the same boat den! im from louth! to pm u click on my name and den click send pm i think! never done it b4 either!:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

Chat away but please remember text speak is not permitted here.

As a fellow boards member living in the Middle East, I fully recommend researching the job and the country before you move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Hey guys ive just moved back to Ireland after living in Dubai for 10 years.Ive made a huge mistake,Ireland is awful,this place depresses me,if ye guys need to know anything just ask,rock on.dubai aint perfect but its a gud life xx

cheers tweedledee thanks a mill!ya this place wud drive u nuts!Whats the social seen like?living conditions?is it as strict as people make out- for instance read yesterday that crossing your legs in public is highly offensive as showing the sole of your foot to anyone is an insult?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

leelaw17 wrote: »
    cheers tweedledee thanks a mill!ya this place wud drive u nuts!Whats the social seen like?living conditions?is it as strict as people make out- for instance read yesterday that crossing your legs in public is highly offensive as showing the sole of your foot to anyone is an insult?

Could I ask where you read these things? Any links?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dubai? No birds in short skirts or revealing tops when out-on-the-town at night, no wearing micro bikinis or topless on beaches, and no public display of affection like kissing or lap dancing. Doesn't sound like Paradise to me for you lads. Go to Rio instead and enjoy all of the above. Ha! ;)

Source: http://www.dubai-livethedream.com/dos-and-donts.html

i don't know where i read that on some website about westerneres living in dubai...exaggerated i'm guessing??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Black Swan wrote: »
    Dubai? No birds in short skirts or revealing tops when out-on-the-town at night, no wearing micro bikinis or topless on beaches, and no public display of affection like kissing or lap dancing. Doesn't sound like Paradise to me for you lads. Go to Rio instead and enjoy all of the above. Ha! ;)

Source: http://www.dubai-livethedream.com/dos-and-donts.html

Sounds like every other Muslim country in the region. If that is what you after, perhaps living in a Muslim country isn't for you.
    leelaw17 wrote: »
    i don't know where i read that on some website about westerneres living in dubai...exaggerated i'm guessing??

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Polleta

I am moving to Dubai in one month. I am not a teacher I am afraid I work in the CPG sector. I'm also looking to live in the jumeriah area or near the Dubai Marina but that is slightly expensive.

I have friends living there now and have asked lots of questions of the team I am going to work with and it is not as strict as a lot of other muslim countries. As a single female I will be able to do everything I normally do except live with a partner which is still very frowned upon.

I am at the excited/scared stage as it is creeping very close very fast!! :)

hi again!

New question!How far is Mamzar from the city centre of Dubai?

Dubai is very open and very safe.Just dont be drunk in public or any way antisocial and all is kewl.If you have,God forbid,a car accident dont get angry,call the police yourself and dont accept full responibility unless its blatently obvious you caused it.Don't buy any property in UAE,no matter how good it looks or sounds,its cheaper to rent and bank the rest.No need to buy a car for a while as public transport is very cheap but if you do want a car get a male friend to haggle the price for you,ohh same if you going to rent,men get more respect when involved in a cash deal,thats the way it is over there.Jumeirah and Downtown are a rip off,Dubai is down the toilet when it comes to accomodation,they suffered bigtime after the credit crunch so there are much better places to be found at much cheaper prices than the above two.
    AVOID International City,its a dump.Somewhere near the Greens or around that area is nice,some very cheap and modern apts near Bur Dubai.Enjoy......:cool:

Mamzer is about 15 to 20 mins drive from Dubai,depending on time of day.Its on the Sharjah border so its VERY VERY strict about booze and western traditions.Prices are very cheap there because most westerners dont want to live near Sharjah,its a very Islamic area with heavy influence from Pakistan and Saudia.
    You can easily find somewhere just as cheap to live in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.Lots of scary stories regarding Sharjah Police and silly drunk western girls.They have big issues in Sharjah with westerners,be careful.

Advertisement