Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron 640m - Invertor or Screen faulty?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi

A few months ago the screen on my Dell inspiron 640m stopped working - it went very dim, started flickering, then went off, then it suddenly started working again for a few days, then stopped again, and never worked again.

I can still see the image on the screen if I look very carefully but for practical purposes there is no image.

I think it's either the backlight or the invertor that needs to be replaced, the problem is which one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd guess it's the inverter. It's hard to be absolutely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nodgienodge

well I haven't got a clue.
    All I know was I was in a computer shop and the guy told me it was the screen cause he tried another invertor and said it didn't work.

However I smelled a rat, so I said: Ok, well u replace the screen but I want to keep the old screen (because it's mine)

He seemed reluctant because if he was to buy a replacement screen he'd be making a loss on this transaction and he had this idea in his head that he was somehow "entitled" to keep my old screen

So I told him to put the laptop back together and give it back to me. I may be wrong still but it's bugging me now because if it is the invertor I can probably fix it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

well I haven't got a clue.
    All I know was I was in a computer shop and the guy told me it was the screen cause he tried another invertor and said it didn't work.

However I smelled a rat, so I said: Ok, well u replace the screen but I want to keep the old screen (because it's mine)

He seemed reluctant because if he was to buy a replacement screen he'd be making a loss on this transaction and he had this idea in his head that he was somehow "entitled" to keep my old screen

So I told him to put the laptop back together and give it back to me. I may be wrong still but it's bugging me now because if it is the invertor I can probably fix it myself.
    If you can fix the inverter you can replace the screen. You'll have to completely open up the laptop to get at the inverter, replacing the screen is only a few more screws away.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

I'd be 90% sure it's the screen. It usually is when the backlight goes.

The guy in the shop might be returning your screen to get back some money for the defective one. Obviously it depends on a lot of things but your nose will tell you if he's genuine or not.

Screen replacement should'nt be much harder than the inverter TBH. Just make sure you don't damage the lcd cable at the back when removing the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Considering you can still see an image with no backlight I think you can safely rule out the screen being at fault.
    The CCFLs used in backlights are rated for on average 50,000 hours and even so are unlikely to simply die. Generally they dim to around half-brightness if they're on the way out.

An inverter problem is by far the most likely and is fortunately the cheapest part to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

My laptop had the same symptoms before and it was the invertor.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nodgienodge

Just ordered a new inverter on ebay :)

Ok well that all seems to make sense. I don't know what an inverter actually does but I calculated the screen would have been on about 5000 hours maybe. Moral of the story: Don't trust laptop repair shops. Ever

Advertisement