Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using core drill to put vent in

• 26-02-2011 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

we were told recently we need a vent in the living room as we use a gas heater alot and have no ventilation outright in the room. i need to use a core drill to put 1 in. i have never used one of these before so am looking for any tips or advise on using it. i am looking to put in a 4inch hole to create a vent so we can use the heater and have proper ventilation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

don't do it yourself, the gear you hire will throw up a dust storm in your living room there are companies out there that will do it for you, reasonable cost and little mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

do you know anyone that would do it? and at what cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

don't do it yourself, the gear you hire will throw up a dust storm in your living room there are companies out there that will do it for you, reasonable cost and little mess.

You can hire the bit from any hire shop, failing that any plumber would have a core bit, and bore the hole for you, used to pipe soil stacks etc, you could drill part way from the inside to stop tear out, and place a funnel over the bit to contain the dust, finish the hole from the outside to prevent dust, a Hoover and a few dust sheets will save any clean up.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

what type of construction is your home
    core bits make too much dust and destroy the place
    if i were you i would use good masonry drill with a long masonry bit (10mm diameter)and drill series of holes then hammer the block out
    if it is a cavity block it should be easy enough
    drill hole all the way through from inside and then go outside and enlarge hole
    then enlarge inside
    if you leave your vacum cleaner turned on when working this will help the dust removal

im not bothered much about the dust as long as it ends up with having a neat and tidy vent in the corner of the room so the gas heater and open fire doesnt poison us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

They are dusty things, but if you send a pilot hole from inside out with any masonary bit first, you can do most of it from the outside.

The type of construction of your house will make it easy or a bit more difficult.

If it is built with 9" cavity blocks you might get unlucky and have a web in the middle of your desired location.

A standard Cavity construction will be much easier. Timber Lath's could get in the way to again depending on how your house is built, and you don't want to hit timber with them!

Obviously make sure you pick a spot where you know there are no wires or pipes buried behind your slab.

Try drilling at an angle downwards too (not much), and fill the hole with a bit of 4" wavin so that any condensation that may occur will drip out rather than in.

if you are handy enough this will do the job for you
    you will also need to get the extra bits
    still cost less than €110 total
    maybe cheaper than hiring
    you can then take your time
    only slight problem is drill bit wont reach all the way through so you will have to complete outside hole first ,then drill in.this will give you an inside indication.you can then work from inside
    mc quillan tools do a cheaper and similar product but i cant find it on line

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=7110869&authToken=

what ive most nervous of is i have never done anything like this ever before and i am real nervous of drilling arseways and making a right mess of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As far as I can remember A 4in. or 100mm vent is not big enough for most gas fires.
    You need to check the the spec for your fire.

• Advertisement

sorry i should have specified that the gas heater used is the one where you have a gas cylinder in the back of it. we also have an open fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have done this lots of time.

You need to go to the hire shop. Hire a Hilti . A big one. Hire a 4" core bit(check the teeth before leaving shop) . Hire an extension bar for the SDS Max drill.

Dont even bother with a cheap or small drill to drive a 4" core bit.

Use hammer action. and be ready for it to jam anytime and twist the whole drill out of your hands.

You will need a lump hammer and a cold chisel .

A good A frame ladder.

a bit of 4" soil pipe to line your new hole and a tube of all weather silicone to seal it in.

2 vent covers and some sheets to cover area to keep clean.

Ear defenders, dust masks and gloves.

Its hard work . Start in the inside at a slite angle to prevent rain running back into the house.

When near the out side with the center drill, bring the gear outside and start from the outside. If you dont the core bit will remove lumps from your wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

you need a 112mm core to get the 4" wavin through

got some right good advice here, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In fairness, ask the hire shop if they can give you a high speed drill and a 4 inch diamond core bit.

High speed is quicker than using a slow rotary hammer sds, as the diamond will do all the work. It will save you at least half the time it would normally take. Plus, when you breach the outside wall it won't burst the plaster outward, it will have a nice finish.

Advertisement