Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MNSCI membership offer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Funny the way they make it hard for people when times are good, and lick potential members when times are bad as of now. Do people still have to know someone to use midlands? One would think if we are component enough to get a firearm licence through garda vetting etc that the ranges wouldn't have a problem welcoming new members. Or is there an ulterior motive:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Excellent offer :cool:
    kay 9 wrote: »
    Funny the way they make it hard for people when times are good, and lick potential members when times are bad as of now.

How did they make it hard for people to join?
    Do people still have to know someone to use midlands?

You can be signed in as a guest by a member and pay a "green fee" & new members have to be proposed by two existing members both of which are down to the legislation, not MNSCI.
    One would think if we are component enough to get a firearm licence through garda vetting etc that the ranges wouldn't have a problem welcoming new members.

How do they have a problem welcoming new members?
    Or is there an ulterior motive:confused:

What ulterior motive do you reckon they have so ?

For the record, I'm a member there for a good few years and I'm surprised at your attitude/impressions to/of the range:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

It's a great offer!

Especially since people are strapped for cash and reluctant to join because of cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

It's a great offer!

Especially since people are strapped for cash and reluctant to join because of cost.

that makes no differ. If someone dosn have the cash for twelve months they wont have it for twelve months plus 3 free. Stil a good offer though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Dusty87 wrote: »
    that makes no differ. If someone dosn have the cash for twelve months they wont have it for twelve months plus 3 free. Stil a good offer though!!

Dusty I know its hard to swallow but it's only the first year that's the hardest.

• Advertisement

The first year works out at approx €10 per week. I'd spend more than that on ammo in a week :eek:

Subsequent years works out approx €5.50 per week, I rest my case :o

And look at what you get for your money :eek:

The first year works out at approx €10 per week. I'd spend more than that on ammo in a week :eek:

bunny, clive, i agree its a great offer. It is. And fair play to jim and the rest. I was just pointing out as tack said if someone is strapped for cash and cant afford the first year membership in the first place they wont afford the offer. If i could, id be in like flynn but not possible at the minute unfortunatly:(.

I know it's easy say 'only' 10 a week. I know lads can't reach to a box of 22subs things have got that bad for them.

......... but not possible at the minute unfortunatly:(.

Sorry to hear that :o

I'll go hungry if I have to :D
    clivej wrote: »
    ...........I know lads can't reach to a box of 22subs things have got that bad for them.

:(

Sorry to hear that :o

I'll go hungry if I have to :D

:(

yeah me too, baby and missus wont though:(

• Advertisement

yeah me too, baby and missus wont though:(

Responsibilities, had them myself. Luckily all mine have grown up and left home :D ........... except the missus ..................

Dusty times will change and you'll be sorted ;)

Responsibilities, had them myself. Luckily all mine have grown up and left home :D ........... except the missus ..................

Dusty times will change and you'll be sorted ;)

hopefully bunny. I wouldn mind but when i had the money it was spent on stupid things! Not much older, but a lot wiser now;). May get a 22 when times change, give yourself and clive a run in the competition:):)

hopefully bunny. I wouldn mind but when i had the money it was spent on stupid things! Not much older, but a lot wiser now;). May get a 22 when times change, give yourself and clive a run in the competition:):)

Easier said than done :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

€600 is nothing to be sniffed at, but as said its for the first year only. €285 every year after. I know where Dusty is coming from that if a lad is broke, bar the membership is free, any amount of money is too much, but at least its a move forward.

Every year there are a few lads that have cash now wanting to join then realising the membership is not up/due till June, and by the time that roles around the money is gone. This way this offer will be helpful is if a lad gets a small windfall between now and June he can still join at any stage and it will carry him till june 2012.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

clivej wrote: »
    Easier said than done :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

its a date......in the future:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I do wonder sometimes why more clubs don't set up direct debit mechanisms (as opposed to standing order mechanisms) with banks; it's not a huge amount of paperwork and while someone might not be able to dump several hundred euro in one place in one go, dumping 50 euro a month isn't as bad, but still gives you the 600 over the course of the year. It means moving around the club's finances a bit to adopt to the new funding pattern, granted, but still, it ought to be an option.

That being said, I get the feeling that a lot of shooters never donate to their clubs above and beyond the membership fee either. I mean, the college clubs are always strapped for cash, and have introduced and trained about half the target shooters in Ireland to the sport; not too many alumni make donations back to those clubs even knowing how badly off they were financially. We did the numbers a while back - if 10% of all of the college clubs alumni had standing orders to donate €5 a month to the clubs, that would give UCDRC about twice their annual grant from the college (unless it's gone up a lot since I last checked) and DURC about four times their grant; meaning that clubs could finally invest in new firearms, have decent prizes at matches, DURC could switch to electronic targets, and so on.

Granted, other clubs wouldn't get numbers like that; but small monthly donations from lots of people still leads to healthier financials than single lump sums once a year and nothing in between.

Sparks wrote: »
    I do wonder sometimes why more clubs don't set up direct debit mechanisms (as opposed to standing order mechanisms) with banks; it's not a huge amount of paperwork and while someone might not be able to dump several hundred euro in one place in one go, dumping 50 euro a month isn't as bad, but still gives you the 600 over the course of the year. It means moving around the club's finances a bit to adopt to the new funding pattern, granted, but still, it ought to be an option.

That being said, I get the feeling that a lot of shooters never donate to their clubs above and beyond the membership fee either. I mean, the college clubs are always strapped for cash, and have introduced and trained about half the target shooters in Ireland to the sport; not too many alumni make donations back to those clubs even knowing how badly off they were financially. We did the numbers a while back - if 10% of all of the college clubs alumni had standing orders to donate €5 a month to the clubs, that would give UCDRC about twice their annual grant from the college (unless it's gone up a lot since I last checked) and DURC about four times their grant; meaning that clubs could finally invest in new firearms, have decent prizes at matches, DURC could switch to electronic targets, and so on.

Granted, other clubs wouldn't get numbers like that; but small monthly donations from lots of people still leads to healthier financials than single lump sums once a year and nothing in between.

I gave a week of my time last summer driving Dumpers (nothing in comparison to some)
    I think I payed my dues as I don't use the facility as much as others (or as i would like)

I'll give another week this Summer as soon as I am finished with College.
    Mucking in is as good as making donations!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Mucking in is as good as making donations!

True enough. I'd take help with cleaning and bits and pieces of work and such over money any day, and, thankfully, we've got a good bunch who are always ready to put shoulder to wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

True enough. I'd take help with cleaning and bits and pieces of work and such over money any day, and, thankfully, we've got a good bunch who are always ready to put shoulder to wheel.

True - but we have a lot more who physically can't get to the wheel but who could contribute a little financially...

Sparks wrote: »
    True - but we have a lot more who physically can't get to the wheel but who could contribute a little financially...

Hey, if they want to throw money at us, I'll sit back quite happily and won't stand in the way. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

the Mnsci is a great club and range is second to none,personally have found a wealth of knowledge over the years from shooting there.my biggest problem with it is I cant get down as much as I would like due to work and family commitments.the new club house is taking shape also the f class lads would be more than willing to train anybody with a interest in long range target or any discipline. you will always find or just ask and someone will always be willing to give you a hand if needed ,great for anybody starting into the sport or a veteran.the creedmore cup is coming up which will be some event hope to get down for a few days to watch it or give a hand in the butts.

I should have said last night, I think this is a great offer from MNSCI and I'd be sorely tempted to take it if I could really afford it, but the money's all already earmarked. I think the lads have a point that the three months extra free won't help someone who couldn't afford it anyway, but it's a really nice touch for anyone who might have been on the verge of joining anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

I am one that was seriously considering membership anyway but not able to decide when due to financial constraints, like most of the adult population in this country.

This offer and the timing of it is just the sweetener I needed to fill out the form and raid the bank.

It is very true that your second and following years subs is very easy to budget for over a year and very good value. However, for someone considering membership, having a fixed renewal date regardless of when during the year they join is quiet a negative point. I imagine it makes the administration of the club much easier but that will not enter the decision making process of potential future members.

Access to discretionary funds can vary a lot over a year for most people.
    There is enough red tape as well as personal and financial risks involved in owning a gun. Paying a fee for 12 months membership and all the benefits that come with it should be the prize for €600 regardless when during a calender year someone joins.

One more small thing. At the bottom of the application form it states that one should type out the form and then print it. It is not possible to type in your details. Will the powers that be get annoyed if the form is sent to them with all my info handwritten?

I am one that was seriously considering membership anyway but not able to decide when due to financial constraints, like most of the adult population in this country.

This offer and the timing of it is just the sweetener I needed to fill out the form and raid the bank.

It is very true that your second and following years subs is very easy to budget for over a year and very good value. However, for someone considering membership, having a fixed renewal date regardless of when during the year they join is quiet a negative point. I imagine it makes the administration of the club much easier but that will not enter the decision making process of potential future members.

Access to discretionary funds can vary a lot over a year for most people.
    There is enough red tape as well as personal and financial risks involved in owning a gun. Paying a fee for 12 months membership and all the benefits that come with it should be the prize for €600 regardless when during a calender year someone joins.

One more small thing. At the bottom of the application form it states that one should type out the form and then print it. It is not possible to type in your details. Will the powers that be get annoyed if the form is sent to them with all my info handwritten?

You need a signature for a form to be valid, Print it off, fill it out then scan it and send it back.
    The second year is €285 and the same there after.

Appreciate as a member you will also have a place to shoot Longest Range in Ireland and the second longest in Europe

You also would be able to avail of the Pistol range and the small bore range

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

[You need a signature for a form to be valid, Print it off, fill it out then scan it and send it back.]

Ah........ I know I need to sign the form as do 2 current members. It is filling out the rest of the form my question was about, does it have to be typed or will hand written do?

[The second year is €285 and the same there after.]
    The 2nd year and all following years is not the problem. I just made a suggestion, regarding the 1st year, as someone that has been considering membership for a while.

[Appreciate as a member you will also have a place to shoot Longest Range in Ireland and the second longest in Europe]
    It is very appreciated. Hence the application.

You also would be able to avail of the Pistol range and the small bore range
    Sadly the pistol range is likely only to be viewed and not used as getting a FAC for a pistol is as likely as Haille Berry turning up at my door demanding I help her make babies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

Sadly the pistol range is likely only to be viewed and not used as getting a FAC for a pistol is as likely as Haille Berry turning up at my door demanding I help her make babies :(

you could get a unrestricted .22 pistol

Get a nice 5 shot .22lr and happy days!

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=427&content=buck-mark-plus-stainless-black-laminated-udx-firearms

I fancy one of these either
    Hammerli-X-esse.jpg

you could get a unrestricted .22 pistol

You could get a unrestricted .22 pistol
    Note the word Unrestricted .22 handgun.

The Smith & Wesson Model 41 is the top of the line in rimfire pistols. Used by national level competitors for acute precision in competition, the Model 41 is considered one of the best .22 target pistols ever manufactured. $1,139.

130512_01_md.jpg

Browning Buckmark.

I've one of these :cool:

• Advertisement

Browning Buckmark.

I've one of these :cool:
    Will you show us a pic, I know I'd like to see it, and it could be of interest to perspective members

Advertisement