Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MNSCI membership offer.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Will you show us a pic, I know I'd like to see it, and it could be of interest to perspective members

I'll put up some tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

clivej wrote: »
    The Smith & Wesson Model 41 is the top of the line in rimfire pistols. Used by national level competitors for acute precision in competition, the Model 41 is considered one of the best .22 target pistols ever manufactured. $1,139.
    You have been woefully misinformed there I think Clive :)

ssp_gross_2700000.jpg

Walther SSP. Probably one of the finest rimfire pistol out there (definitely the one I'd pick if I had the money and didn't have to drive for two hours to get to a range where I could use it). But it's definitely not the only one - the Feinwerkbau AW93, the Walther GSP, several of the Morini and Pardini lines, as well as the Matchguns MG2; these are the best .22 target pistols ever manufactured (so far, anyway :D ). The S&W 41 isn't as good as any of them. It's close, but definitely no cigar. It's basicly the CZ to the SSP's Anschutz. A good pistol; not a great pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Excellent offer :cool:

How did they make it hard for people to join?

You can be signed in as a guest by a member and pay a "green fee" & new members have to be proposed by two existing members both of which are down to the legislation, not MNSCI.

How do they have a problem welcoming new members?

What ulterior motive do you reckon they have so ?

For the record, I'm a member there for a good few years and I'm surprised at your attitude/impressions to/of the range:confused:
    If it's legislation that makes it harder for new members then I understand and should have known. For me and many more interested in joining that do not know any members, how does it work? I'm sure people don;t just sign in anybody that shows up:confused:
    Ps Bunny, how do you know what my attitude is when attitude is expressed orally rather than written;)

kay 9 wrote: »
    If it's legislation that makes it harder for new members then I understand and should have known. For me and many more interested in joining that do not know any members, how does it work? I'm sure people don;t just sign in anybody that shows up:confused:
    Ps Bunny, how do you know what my attitude is when attitude is expressed orally rather than written;)

If you and/or others are interested in joining then ring them and arrange to call in for a "tour".

Or I can let you know when I'm going again and I'll sign you in as a guest and I'll give you the grand "tour".

Your "attitude" was plain to 'see' from your post and I notice you have given no explanation or justification for your statements, as I requested.

Have you ever been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I've called them before and whoever I was talking to said it's a must to know someone to sign me in. I visited the place once and really liked it and appreciate the offer of the grand tour. I'll hold you to that Bunny;)

• Advertisement

kay 9 wrote: »
    .........I'll hold you to that Bunny;)

I'll be in touch ............... as soon as ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sparks wrote: »
    ssp_gross_2700000.jpg

I think I've seen one of them before, a lad was using it to install a wooden floor :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

johngalway wrote: »
    I think I've seen one of them before, a lad was using it to install a wooden floor :P

Sell a few Lambs John, pay the 15 Month Entry fee!

Come over an Join us

I'll sponsor your application.
    Pistol shooting is great craic!

And I really want to start a Varmint Section @ midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:pac:

Thanks for the offer Tac, too rich for my blood though :)

:pac:

Thanks for the offer Tac, too rich for my blood though :)

Get them farmers to pay you €5 a fox and you soon will have the funds!;)

• Advertisement

Not so good for that sort of thing, all the nails go in the same hole with one of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Not so good for that sort of thing, all the nails go in the same hole with one of them ;)

yeah! And from 25 meters away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I think the choice or firearm, while obviously important, if not the deciding factor when it comes to competition success

the competitor is.

I agree that the Walther is a tack driver, I agree the 41 is a great gun and far better looking - however - if you look at the results of competitions you will find that neither are used by the best shooters - they just happen to be the best shooters - and got that was using what they had - at one time a colt woodsman would have been the most successful - I won my first few medals with one - the hammerli xsesse has taken it's fair share - the s&w 22a is extremely popular and has also taken an impressive haul - not that the walther (GSP & SSP) or the pardinis of this world have not taken their fair share - the buckmarks and rugers have also been successful (now Bunny and myself have one they will come into their own)

I just think that if someone is a naturally good shot and you give them a chance to do a bit of practice with any gun (to get used to it) they will kick arse anyway (except with a mosquito ;-) )

B'Man

I think B'man, that with full respect to the competitors, the Irish pistol scene is not a good data set to use when deciding on a pistol to buy. We've not had pistols for long enough to get the standard up to where it needs to be, despite individuals who've excelled, so looking down the line at an Irish match - any Irish match - doesn't show you what's best but what was available and cheap and looked good in a catalog.

Look down the line in international competitions to see what's the best. And you do not see many 41s or 22as on the line in Munich. You see SSPs, GSPs, a few Xesses, Morinis and Pardinis and a few Baikals and a few assorted others.

I think B'man, that with full respect to the competitors, the Irish pistol scene is not a good data set to use when deciding on a pistol to buy. We've not had pistols for long enough to get the standard up to where it needs to be, despite individuals who've excelled, so looking down the line at an Irish match - any Irish match - doesn't show you what's best but what was available and cheap and looked good in a catalog.

Look down the line in international competitions to see what's the best. And you do not see many 41s or 22as on the line in Munich. You see SSPs, GSPs, a few Xesses, Morinis and Pardinis and a few Baikals and a few assorted others.

Even More reason to Join Midlands and find out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I know what you mean but precious few of us are lucky enough to compete internationally - for most people their choice of a pistol - especially a first one if to a) learn to shoot and b) compete with people in their own club.

If they then "get the goo" (there's a creme egg ad in here somewhere) and progress to National or indeed International they may find that they outshoot their tool and need to upgrade but that will take a lot of practice.

Personally, whenever I have looked down the line in Munich I saw mostly Glocks - what does that tell ya?

B'Man

It tells me you were at a centerfire match, not a rimfire one; and we weren't talking about centerfire pistols...

But you don't need to be at international standard to buy a great pistol. The Baikal is cheaper than the 41, and it's basicly an unpolished KSP. Like it's air pistol cousin, it can't really compete with today's top end of pistols, but for a beginner, it's probably one of the best possible choices. You just have to grit your teeth when people comment on how it looks like a spare part for a tractor and let its groups speak for themselves...

Advertisement