Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrabane loughrea

Options
  • 26-02-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Am thinking of moving to Galway . One of the areas I was looking at was carrabane as it has easy links to galway .anyone have an opinion on the area . Has it a good name or would Loughrea town be better Are there any areas that should be avoided especially with teenagers {mine} who I'd like to steer away from any bother .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sakdolan

Lovely area and friendly people. There's a half-empty housing estate meaning property is reasonably cheap. The parish (Kilconierin) comprises of three old parishes (Kilconierin, Lickerrig or Carrabane, and Kilconickny or Clostoken). The Pub (Gate Lodge) and Hotel (Meadown Court) are in the immediate vicinity. Good luck in your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velogalway

I live in Carrabane, moved here in 1999. Great community life, the biggest scout unit in Co. Galway, Juvenile Hurling Club of the Year for two years running, forest walks, excellent school, great pub, five minutes from the M6 motorway, I would never leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tanoone

sounds good . Was looking at Croi an Bhaile . Some of the houses have bad water damage which is a pity .
    I see 2 secondary schools in loughrea .Any opinions about the differences between them . More concerned about making friends than results at this stage.
    Is one of them on a really old building ?.[ Was trying to see them on google earth]

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velogalway

tanoone wrote: »
    sounds good . Was looking at Croi an Bhaile . Some of the houses have bad water damage which is a pity .
    I see 2 secondary schools in loughrea .Any opinions about the differences between them . More concerned about making friends than results at this stage.
    Is one of them on a really old building ?.[ Was trying to see them on google earth]

Both schools have earned themselves a strong reputation. There is a school bus serving the village connecting to Loughrea. The older school building is St. Raphael's College. The school board of management is campaigning for a new school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sakdolan

And Raphael's is a fine school in itself too. The parish would benefit greatly from a shop, but Loughrea is only 5 mins away and the new shops are 'the right side of the town'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement