Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where all my hard disk space gone?

• 26-02-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I’ve a relatively old laptop (5 yrs) on windows Vista (upgraded from XP). I ran out of hard disk space recently so begun removing a lot of my data (big stuff like movies, photo’s music etc) onto an external hard drive.

I’ve now removed all of these files from the laptop and have managed to free up about 25gb of space on the hard disk, but I can figure out what is occupying the remaining 50gb of hard disk space.

Can anyone tell me how the hell I can free up this space? These’s literally no personal data on the laptop so I can understand where this 50Gb has gone.

Relatively basic knowledge of computers so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Pstj2000 wrote: »
    I’ve a relatively old laptop (5 yrs) on windows Vista (upgraded from XP). I ran out of hard disk space recently so begun removing a lot of my data (big stuff like movies, photo’s music etc) onto an external hard drive.

I’ve now removed all of these files from the laptop and have managed to free up about 25gb of space on the hard disk, but I can figure out what is occupying the remaining 50gb of hard disk space.

Can anyone tell me how the hell I can free up this space? These’s literally no personal data on the laptop so I can understand where this 50Gb has gone.

Relatively basic knowledge of computers so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Programs, games, temporary files, recycle bin, system restore points/back-ups and the OS itself all take up space. CCleaner is a great application for recovering space lost to needed temporary files and stuff, give that a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 iSoap

Use a program such a SpaceSniffer or other freeware apps to analyze the the usage of disk space on your HD. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-disk-space-analyzer.htm#SpaceSniffer

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

It's possible the xp recovery partition is still on your hard disk using up the remaining space. You would have to you use some partition manager to merge the partition to your C: drive.

Advertisement