Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admissions for medicine at Ucd

Options
  • 26-02-2011 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

OKAY JUST SAY ,IM A STUDENT WHO IS DOING HIS LEAVING CERTIFICATE AND I GET SAY 505 POINTS .

I WANT TO DO MEDICINE , I SEND MY APPLICATION TO CAO(central applications office)Its my 1rst choice chorse and ucd is my no.1 college ok.
    My subjects in Lc :
    MATHS GRADE = C2 (ORDINARY)
    ENGLISH
    BIOLOGY = GRADE = C1 (HIGHER)
    ART
    TECHNOLOGY
    HOME.EC(SCIENTIFIC + SOCIAL)
    AND GEOGRAPHY.

okay so do i meet the specific entry requirements ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

skyleo wrote: »
    OKAY JUST SAY ,IM A STUDENT WHO IS DOING HIS LEAVING CERTIFICATE AND I GET SAY 505 POINTS .

I WANT TO DO MEDICINE , I SEND MY APPLICATION TO CAO(central applications office)Its my 1rst choice chorse and ucd is my no.1 college ok.
    My subjects in Lc :
    MATHS GRADE = C2 (ORDINARY)
    ENGLISH
    BIOLOGY = GRADE = C1 (HIGHER)
    ART
    TECHNOLOGY
    HOME.EC(SCIENTIFIC + SOCIAL)
    AND GEOGRAPHY.

okay so do i meet the specific entry requirements ?

Unless you get absolutely scandalous marks in your hpat, 505 just wont cut it anymore unfortunately :(

Aside from that, you just need 6 subjects (excluding LCVP) for matriculation purposes. Because you don't do chemistry, you are required to do pre-med which is just a year on top of Med so its 6 years as opposed to 5 years. You need at least a D3 in ordinary in Biology, Irish, English, Maths and in total, you need at least 2 Higher Level C3 and 4 Ordinary Level D3. Thats as far as I remember anyway, and its just UCD I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 skyleo

Oh...Premed is no prob like ...im very into science anyway so im actually happy they do pre med :)

im doing bio as and extra subject at home .
    Oh yeah the HPAT exam , i was reaodng about that today.
    I heard they were thinking of making it harder in the years to come to something called the GAMSAT ? or somthing ? ( im not sure)

Can you study for it ? my mum gave me a game (a logical game )
    filled with puzzles for adults and teenagers , its very hard , if i learn the answers of them will i boost my possible score would you think ?

OKAY SAY I GOT 530 PTS ?

skyleo wrote: »
    Oh...Premed is no prob like ...im very into science anyway so im actually happy they do pre med :)

im doing bio as and extra subject at home .
    Oh yeah the HPAT exam , i was reaodng about that today.
    I heard they were thinking of making it harder in the years to come to something called the GAMSAT ? or somthing ? ( im not sure)

Can you study for it ? my mum gave me a game (a logical game )
    filled with puzzles for adults and teenagers , its very hard , if i learn the answers of them will i boost my possible score would you think ?

OKAY SAY I GOT 530 PTS ?

The HPAT is the Health Professionals Aptitude Test which is supposedly to judge how good a doctor you'd make. The exam was actually today so I don't know if you're doing your LC this year or not, but if you are and you didn't do the hpat today then you can't apply for med?

GAMSAT is the graduate HPAT, say if you were to do a science degree and then go into medicine then you'd be doing the GAMSAT instead of the HPAT. Theres loads of prep courses you can do but to be honest, I wouldn't recommend them. You can buy the sample booklets online and do them for hours and that is the only way you can improve. The thing with the HPAT is that you can't learn anything, its supposed to be something that..I dunno I suppose proves you're "able" for it.

The HPAT is marked out of 300. I got 520pts and 180 in my HPAT and I didn't get med. 520+180=700. Entry to UCD is around 720. I went to a prep course and our tutor guy was doing medicine. He got 210/300 in his HPAT and he was in the 99th percentile, meaning he did better than 99% of people who did the test. The average score for the HPAT is about 160. That means that, taking into account if the points don't go up, you'd need 560 points.

ACER Website:
    www.acer.edu.au/

www.********-hpat.ie/

thanks aine , im actually in 5th year and im so passionate about medicine ive always wanted to be a doctor . did you see junior doctors on bbc3 last week i think it was shown on rte on 22nd of february :) it looked awesome:rolleyes:

was about 6 or 7 , under grads that had completed the 5 year course and were doing the last year of being a g.p or somthing , i know im sounding stupid but my brain is a bit slow today .

so did you go onto to med ? , im defo putting it as no .1 in cao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Well judging by that I hope you're not counting English for points.

Well judging by that I hope you're not counting English for points.

well its good for some who know everything ....and there was not need for that comment on this thread ....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Well, you're shooting for medicine which is demanding to say the least and unfortunately, although you may well be intelligent, academically brilliant and just basically suited to medicine, when you post grammarless ALL CAPS stuff you just come off sounding like an idiot. Apart from anything else, poor english will tend to drag your marks down in most relevant exams.

If you'd really be interested in the UCD course, get in touch with the Med programme office, (01) 716 6686, they can fill you in on the entrance requirements and give you more info on the hpat. There's a few local UCD nuances that might come up like bonus points on maths etc. Open days will be in December of your LC year as well, you should drop in and see the Health Sciences stand.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

No reason to rip the guy apart just because of his posting style. Does it matter how he expresses himself on a forum as long as he's doing it differently when it comes to the crunch (exams, papers etc)?

Give him some slack, he just asked some questions about a course he's interested in. This kind of attitude is not very welcoming to potentially new students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Whilst there is no need to be a díck on a thread, it can be very annoying reading certain posts. So a gentle nudge towards decent spelling, grammar and layout is no harm.

OP read this brochure on entry to Medicine at UCD and as is mentioned above, you can also contact the School of Medicine directly.

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/2010eumedicalbrochure.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Parker, that'd be OK if he consistently posts like that. He just started the thread and his 2nd post already showed a different style. Some people just jump the gun a bit imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

You'll need more than 505 points OP, I'm afraid. 530 or 535 at the absolute minimum. Also, I did a prep course when repeating the Hpat and found it very helpful. But ideally you'd need around 535 or 540 points in the lc to start off.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

You'll probably have to do better than 530. I think average in my class is around the 570/580 mark. That said 510 would have gotten me in the first year but you really can't rely on your hpat as you don't know how good you are at it until you sit it. There are loads of people that get 600 points but their hpat lets them down. If you only get a C in biology then I'd question whether medicine is for you. Also it will be difficult not having done chemistry or physics. Possible but a lot of extra work to catch up. If you like science why aren't you studying them?
    Learning off answers to puzzles will do you no good. Being good at puzzles will and the practice couldn't hurt. Get yourself the practice booklets. Do one under test conditions and see how you do.
    As far as I know you need 2 science subjects for trinity and cork

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

I recall hearing that Trinity took Geography as a science subject in some circumstances... Not sure if they'd make that exception for medicine, but it's worth contacting the School Office about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

lctake2 wrote: »
    You'll probably have to do better than 530. I think average in my class is around the 570/580 mark. That said 510 would have gotten me in the first year but you really can't rely on your hpat as you don't know how good you are at it until you sit it. There are loads of people that get 600 points but their hpat lets them down. If you only get a C in biology then I'd question whether medicine is for you. Also it will be difficult not having done chemistry or physics. Possible but a lot of extra work to catch up. If you like science why aren't you studying them?
    Learning off answers to puzzles will do you no good. Being good at puzzles will and the practice couldn't hurt. Get yourself the practice booklets. Do one under test conditions and see how you do.
    As far as I know you need 2 science subjects for trinity and cork

My secondary school did not offer Physics or Chemistry for the Leaving Cert, the OP could be in a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

aine92 wrote: »
    The average score for the HPAT is about 160. That means that, taking into account if the points don't go up, you'd need 560 points.

Actually you'd need 600 points because the LC points are matriculated. i.e. 600 points becomes 560, 560 becomes 552, 570 becomes 554...etc ....

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    Actually you'd need 600 points because the LC points are matriculated. i.e. 600 points becomes 560, 560 becomes 552, 570 becomes 554...etc ....

You wouldn't need that much. I got 540 in the Lc. Mind you, I did seriously well in the Hpat, but i think that if you do a course for it, it helps a lot. I repeated the test, doing a course this time, and nearly doubled my percentile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No offence but it really shouldn't be like that. Either they should give it random structure or make it more difficult, because being able to double your percentile by basically studying for an intelligence test indicates that something is very wrong with the system.

tony007 wrote: »
    You wouldn't need that much. I got 540 in the Lc. Mind you, I did seriously well in the Hpat, but i think that if you do a course for it, it helps a lot. I repeated the test, doing a course this time, and nearly doubled my percentile.

No no no... someone commented saying that if you got 160 in the HPAT, that youd need 560 points .... I was just mentioning that 600 is converted to 560 so if they wanted 560 to add to their 160 HPAT score, then they'd have to get 600 LC points. (Hence, the matriculation :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Hoku wrote: »
    I recall hearing that Trinity took Geography as a science subject in some circumstances... Not sure if they'd make that exception for medicine, but it's worth contacting the School Office about it.
    Trinity do count Geography as a science subject but it cannot be counted as a science subject for medicine as you can see here http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=187

• Advertisement

No offence but it really shouldn't be like that. Either they should give it random structure or make it more difficult, because being able to double your percentile by basically studying for an intelligence test indicates that something is very wrong with the system.

Completely agree with you. It's a silly system

The points matriculation begins over 560, 560 is the "cut off" point, as such.

The points matriculation begins over 560, 560 is the "cut off" point, as such.

Which is what I said :D

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    Which is what I said :D

Which means that 160+560= 720

It'd be 565 etc which would be subject to 5points=1 point or whatever, I can't remember.
    In short...ya won't get in on any less than 560!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Which means that 160+560= 720

It'd be 565 etc which would be subject to 5points=1 point or whatever, I can't remember.
    In short...ya won't get in on any less than 560!

So your saying that you need 560 in the LC minimum? Thats not right is it?

Also did someone say that LCVP doesn't count?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

LCVP doesnt count as a subject for matriculation. You still have to have 6 other subjects. LCVP can still be used for points instead of one of those 6 subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    LCVP doesnt count as a subject for matriculation. You still have to have 6 other subjects. LCVP can still be used for points instead of one of those 6 subjects.

I see thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Have to agree. If you need to study or be tutored for an Aptitude Test, you have some serious issues.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Have to agree. If you need to study or be tutored for an Aptitude Test, you have some serious issues.

I don't think it's an aptitude test at all. The score you get can be influenced by how you feel on the morning of the test. The questions are silly and don't really determine if you will be a good doctor or not. Also, when I went into it the first time, I didnt get a feel of what the paper was going to be like. I didn't do much basic preparation the first time round, so that would have an influence on my score, IMO. Preparation is key. That's the only thing I did different the second time round. Just looked at the kind of questions that would come up, looked at timing, that sort of thing. Just getting into the correct mindframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

tony007 wrote: »
    I don't think it's an aptitude test at all. The score you get can be influenced by how you feel on the morning of the test. The questions are silly and don't really determine if you will be a good doctor or not. Also, when I went into it the first time, I didnt get a feel of what the paper was going to be like. I didn't do much basic preparation the first time round, so that would have an influence on my score, IMO. Preparation is key. That's the only thing I did different the second time round. Just looked at the kind of questions that would come up, looked at timing, that sort of thing. Just getting into the correct mindframe.

Your still studying for a test that shouldn't really be studied for. Its meant to test you as a person not on your preparation. You'd be effectively lying to yourself and your abilities. By all means look at past papers, get a feel for the exam but as for studying or grinding, thats stupid.

Beyond the rote learning of the leaving certificate, life has exams one can't study for. A real job isn't going to have past papers to reference. "Thinking outside the box" is something the leaving certificate fails to teach and its something no one can learn or teach.

Advertisement