Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being censored by Eircom?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I set up a website a while ago, it wasn't a success so I haven't paid much attention to it.

Politicswiki.ie

Now that is hosted on a server on a sweedish server that is handled by PRQ. PRQ hosted Wikileaks and as long as they don't think it's illegal in sweeden they will host it.

Now of course the concern would be that because it is complete freedom of speech this means that someone could say that it was ok to molest children. Yes, they can say that, they can't post pictures but they can say it.

It took me a long while before the idea that the ISP was blocking the site entered into my head.

I mean I tried every device capable of using it, I used opendns, I tried loads of things.

The thing is, it seems as though that not only were they preventing me from connecting to the websites but they were also stopping my connections to opendns that would allow me to find out the IP addresses of these sites.

So confused as I was I googled for eircom and censorship and piratebay came up. And apparently the same people who host the pirate bay were also involved in setting up prq.

Now I know that most people will look at this and say it serves you right for using prq but.. does it? I mean, all I'm doing is using the services of people I feel promote pure freedom of speech. Is it right that I get cut off.

Maybe there is a problem with that network and it's not censorship at all.

semisecure.org
    crowdleaks.org
    politicswiki.ie

are all hosted on prq... there is nothing illegal about our arrangement with prq, prq don't do anything illegal in sweeden, none of the websites don't do anything illegal in either Ireland or sweeden... so what is the problem?

Am I being censored and if so why?

And if I am going to be continued to be censored could I please get a warning like the one you get when you view the pirate bay explaining to others why my website is dangerous.

Also I found this website which you may find interesting http://www.cleanternet.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

What exactly are you saying? Are you saying you cannot get to those 3 websites from eircom? I'm on eircom bb and can open them fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

I was able to get to http://www.politicswiki.ie/Main_Page when i tried it via eircom BB.

It looks fine to me....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I was able to get to http://www.politicswiki.ie/Main_Page when i tried it via eircom BB.

It looks fine to me....?

Hi ninjasurfer1,

Thanks for your reply.

I can also confirm that I am able to connect to these websites on an eircom connection.

The customer may need to check their firewall(s) or Internet browser settings, anti-virus programmes, etc.

Cheers
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I was seriously worried about that, thanks for checking. Not sure where the problem is then... :S

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ________

I'm very skeptical of what I've read here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement