Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I need to buy & what will it cost ?

• 26-02-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭

I have a wonderful elderly Power Book however it's G4 processor can't cope with streamed flash. So I am planning to buy a second hand PC just to watch streamed footy. What is the minimum that I can go for that will be fast enough to process flash video streams ?. I would like to connect it to a TV via video out as I do with the Mac so no need for a monitor. What is this likely to cost second hand ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lots of things will run current flash, but flash is always being updated, and the minimum specs creep up steadily over time. It's the same reason you don't use a PC from 10 years ago anymore: might have been top dog 10 years ago, but it wasnt built with modern internet in mind, which is miles ahead of the year 2001.

You could buy something cheap secondhand on adverts.ie or you could buy something inexpensive, yet new, that will work for much longer. What abouts is your budget for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I haven't really thought about budget as I only want for one specific purpose. The annoying thing is that my G4 handles all other video just fine. I would probably go second hand because streaming sites can be pretty short lived. The other reason for getting it would be to access Sopcast.

What's the minimum spec to go for allowing for a year or two of use ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Right click on the flash video and go to settings, turn off hardware acceleration then go to the display tab in settings and increase the local storage up to around 10mb, that should help a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Already did that & all the other suggestions like using Namoroka optimised for the G4. It helped but it's still jerky. Youtube etc is fine.

Anyone know if this is the latest system requirements:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Discodog wrote: »
    Already did that & all the other suggestions like using Namoroka optimised for the G4. It helped but it's still jerky. Youtube etc is fine.

Anyone know if this is the latest system requirements:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/

Yes those are the minimum System requirements for the current flash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Get a pentium 4 pc unit ,2.0 ghz cpu, or 2.4ghxz pc,1gig ram, 60gig hard drive, at least 32meg vram ,with a free empty pci slot and plug it in to your existing monitor, cost around 70 euro,on www.adverts ie.You can always get a faster graphics
    card ,in the future.
    flash works perfect on my p4 laptop, cpu 1.70ghz cpu,700meg ram, i use firefox, download internet explorer,latest firefox, browser, the new chrome browser, is worth getting too.
    i installed linux mint on my laptop
    , i find flash is better ,it never crashes on linux.the browser never crashes.
    google mint linux download, but stick with xp for the moment if you are buying a pc.

Advertisement