Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pitbull Terrier Association

• 26-02-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone has ever gone to any of their training or walks?
    They have a walk on tomorrow and I'm thinking of going with my pb and id love to bring my english bull terrier too but she's dog aggressive and I dont know if she would be ok with them, I dont want to give the group a bad name if people seen her making all her noises:/
    Anyone had any experiences with them?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Is there such a breed as the irish pit bull terrier? Or is that the name of the club? Excuse the ignorance, its just i seen 'irish staffordshire bull terriers' for sale on donedeal and gumtree. 'irish staffordshire'???

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Hi i think its jst the associations name. Iv heard of the Irish Staffie before too... dont know much about it tho:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Is there such a breed as the irish pit bull terrier?

It's Irish as in the association is in Ireland rather than it describing the breed.

I had asked a while ago if there was a breed standard for pit bulls in Ireland or the UK cos there is in the USA but it doesn't seem like there is one specific looking dog that's a pit bull, it's more a description of a dog. Hopefully EGAR will give us a better answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

theres no specific standard here. they are not registered so you cant get a full breed to prove it. people add a bit of staff and mastif to give chunky heads and chest etc. a pitbull here is more of a group of breeds. personally i would still call a staff a staff a pitbull a pitbull a bulldog a bulldog. but theres people out there that call alot of breeds a pitbull. evn cane corso'sand dogo dargentina are called pitbulls by alot or people which is silly really. but if we got the american pitbull recognised here we might have some chance of gettin some sort of standard wrote up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yeah I think it'd be really helpful to have a breed standard for pitbulls here, it's just too confusing so you end up with all bull breeds being called pitbulls. My family know I know quite a bit about dogs and it frequently comes up for me to describe exactly what a pitbull is and I find it impossible. All I can do is point at a dog and say 'that's a staff/american bulldog/english bull terrier/english bulldog/boxer/mastiff etc etc It is a bit frustrating, it creates so many mistaken identity cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement