Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Temple Bar - How were they allowed open there?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed Tesco opened in fleet street, complete disgrace that they were allowed open there. I thought Temple Bar had a cultural committee can't believe there wasn't a serious objection.
    Next we'll see them in the GPO:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Sounds as disgraceful as any other crap on Fleet Street, modern nightclubs, burger joints and fishing tackle shops all sound about as classy as a Tescos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I never go into any Tesco.
    They are like a virus, the whole Country will just a giant Tesco one day.

Vote with your feet (and Euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Temple Bar is a kip, the best thing in the place now is that Tesco which I will use on occasion if I am passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Temple Bar? Cultural?

Its basically a large pub. Cobbled streets do not a cultural quarter make.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,426 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In fairness, there are too many pubs and restaurants in Temple Bar and not enough shops.

Its often completely dead during the day and too busy in the evening into the early hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The cobblestones are a pain in the hole. Temple Bar is a murky kip. Tesco would seem to fit in with the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

RMD wrote: »
    Sounds as disgraceful as any other crap on Fleet Street, modern nightclubs, burger joints and fishing tackle shops all sound about as classy as a Tescos.

Uncalled for; Rorys has been there for yonks and is a lovely little family run shop. The kind of place Dublin needs more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

The only thing I would go near temple bar for was Eamon Doran's when I was 18/19. Now I wouldn't bother. Temple Bar has been far from a "cultral" area for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Is nothing sacred? Next they'll be turning Town Halls in to McDonalds. Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

TheUsual wrote: »
    I never go into any Tesco.
    They are like a virus, the whole Country will just a giant Tesco one day.

Vote with your feet (and Euro).

Do i need to remind you they employ 13000 people in Ireland...grow up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

BTW - when did Fleet Street become Temple Bar?
    It was always the 79 terminus when I were a lad, and then all these yung 'uns with their book learnin came in and changed the whole street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Do i need to remind you they employ 13000 people in Ireland...grow up

Jobs which would be there regardless of Tesco. People need to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

stoneill wrote: »
    BTW - when did Fleet Street become Temple Bar?
    It was always the 79 terminus when I were a lad, and then all these yung 'uns with their book learnin came in and changed the whole street.

Fleet Street isn't just the part between Westmoreland St and D'olier St, it goes into Temple Bar too

To answer the OP's question, they applied for planning permission and nobody had any good reasons they shouldn't be allowed open, i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

fontanalis wrote: »
    Uncalled for; Rorys has been there for yonks and is a lovely little family run shop. The kind of place Dublin needs more.

i agree, cracking shop.

the complete antithesis of Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Fleet Street isn't just the part between Westmoreland St and D'olier St, it goes into Temple Bar too

To answer the OP's question, they applied for planning permission and nobody had any good reasons they shouldn't be allowed open, i guess

Which is where the 79 and 78 terminus was, and many other routes. Right outside the old ESB,where tesco is now. It was an oil soaked kip back then,it's improved greatly over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Victor wrote: »
    In fairness, there are #two# many pubs and restaurants in Temple Bar and not enough shops.

Its often completely dead during the day and too busy in the evening into the early hours.

Which two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

dubtom wrote: »
    Which is where the 79 and 78 terminus was, and many other routes. Right outside the old ESB,where tesco is now. It was an oil soaked kip back then,it's improved greatly over the years.

Now its just a puke soaked kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just noticed Tesco opened in fleet street, complete disgrace that they were allowed open there. I thought Temple Bar had a cultural committee can't believe there wasn't a serious objection.
    Next we'll see them in the GPO:mad:

I read a great quote last week about the general election from Rev Jesse Jackson who was visiting Ireland with words to the effect of "Those that do not vote lose the right to criticise". This applies here too- how many of you complaining about Tesco locating in Temple Bar formally lodged an objection to the council listing the valid reasons as to why it shouldn't open during the planning notice period??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Temple Bar is a hole and disgrace to Dublin, i really dont understand how opening a Tesco's is going to make it any worse.

i remember the original Temple Bar where you could buy your secondhand levis for a €5 :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think Temple Bar has a massive image problem as a giant tourist trap filled with rip off-pubs and third rate restaurants.

15 years ago, the area held so much promise as a new "cultural quarter" for Dublin. Cool new buildings and public spaces were being built and Temple Bar represented the new, modern Ireland of the 1990s but the place degraded fast around 2000.

There are still assets to TB - its location first of all, the Irish Film Institute, Project Arts Centre, The Ark, quality restaurants like Eden and Il Baccario, the Green Building, the PorterHouse and The Palace - one of the last remaining pubs in TB that hasn't been gutted and turned into a superpub.

Temple Bar needs to re-brand and re-launch itself. Maybe a new campaign featuring our beloved drag diva Shirley Temple Bar of telly bingo fame would fit the bill?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Was the Oirish classic Far and Away filmed in Temple Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

fontanalis wrote: »

Agreed. Handy for a pint of maggots.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

wyndham wrote: »
    Agreed. Handy for a pint of maggots.
    I always go there for my maggots and then the whole train carraige stinks of them on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Love Tescos, think it's great to have one close by whereever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

bladespin wrote: »
    Love Tescos
    rtd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

bladespin wrote: »
    Love Tescos, think it's great to have one close by whereever you are.

Jesus.

The posters saying that temple bar is a puke-filled kip with no culture...erm, are you living abroad or just 'in the 90s'? How about a wander through next thursday?

On the First Thursday of every month a selection of gallery spaces in Dublin City are opening their doors after hours offering you an extra chance to see art, culture and events in a number of venues between 6–8pm. The next First Thursdays Dublin takes place on Thursday April 7th. See list of eleven cultural spaces below who will be participating.

Clyne Gallery The Wooden Building, Exchange street Upper, Temple Bar, D.2
    Clyne Gallery is loaded with work from some of Ireland’s strongest creative talents – it is a distinctive fusion of applied art and fine art. www.clynegallery.com

Fish-Bowl Gallery / Exchange Dublin, Exchange Street Upper, Temple Bar, D.2
    Less But Better opens on 7th April and is an exhibition about and inspired by the industrial designer Dieter Rams. He is regarded as one of the most influential designers of the 20th century. www.exchangedublin.ie

The Project Arts Centre, 39 East Essex Street, Temple Bar, D.2
    Things (2009) is a mesmerising aesthetic experience, and with longer exposure, one’s idea of a landscape of art begins to shift into a topography of art. www.projectartscentre.ie

NGG – No Grants Gallery The Culture Box, 12 East Essex Street, Temple Bar, D.2
    Capital Craft – The Art of Uilleann Pipemaking in Dublin City
    An exhibition showcasing the rich heritage of uilleann pipe making and pipers who performed in Temple Bar dating back to the early 1800s. www.templebar.ie

Gallery of Photography, Meeting House Square Temple Bar, D.2
    Worlds of Colour by Steve McCurry continues in the Gallery of Photography until 24 April. www.galleryofphotography.ie

Temple Bar Gallery & Studios 5-9 Temple Bar, D. 2
    Offline launches on the 7th April and is an exhibition bringing together five artists including: Alexksandra Domanovi, Joel Holmberg, Parket Ito, Eilis McDonald and Jonathan Rafman. www.templebargallery.com

Monster Truck Gallery 4 Temple Bar, D.2
    Tristan Perich: Interval Studies – a solo exhibition by New York-based artist and composer Tristan Perich. Inspired by the aesthetics of maths and physics, Perich works with simple forms and complex systems. www.monstertruck.ie

As well as the galleries, there are various culture nights (hugely popular), Live music in venues including Market Square, The New Theatre, The Project Theatre, The Irish Film Institute, FilmBase....

To say Temple Bar is just pubs is like saying Dublin is just two train stations and a port.

More on the disgrace of tesco (not the one theyre trying to close the Lighthouse Cinema to install) http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0225/1224290837440.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its very handy for people who live in the area, what exactly is wrong with it?, better than another sh!tty pub or club :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

poochiem wrote: »
    Clyne Gallery The Wooden Building, Exchange street Upper, Temple Bar, D.2
    Clyne Gallery is loaded with work from some of Ireland’s strongest creative talents – it is a distinctive fusion of applied art and fine art. www.clynegallery.com

Fish-Bowl Gallery / Exchange Dublin, Exchange Street Upper, Temple Bar, D.2
    Less But Better opens on 7th April and is an exhibition about and inspired by the industrial designer Dieter Rams. He is regarded as one of the most influential designers of the 20th century. www.exchangedublin.ie

The Project Arts Centre, 39 East Essex Street, Temple Bar, D.2
    Things (2009) is a mesmerising aesthetic experience, and with longer exposure, one’s idea of a landscape of art begins to shift into a topography of art. www.projectartscentre.ie

NGG – No Grants Gallery The Culture Box, 12 East Essex Street, Temple Bar, D.2
    Capital Craft – The Art of Uilleann Pipemaking in Dublin City
    An exhibition showcasing the rich heritage of uilleann pipe making and pipers who performed in Temple Bar dating back to the early 1800s. www.templebar.ie

Gallery of Photography, Meeting House Square Temple Bar, D.2
    Worlds of Colour by Steve McCurry continues in the Gallery of Photography until 24 April. www.galleryofphotography.ie

Temple Bar Gallery & Studios 5-9 Temple Bar, D. 2
    Offline launches on the 7th April and is an exhibition bringing together five artists including: Alexksandra Domanovi, Joel Holmberg, Parket Ito, Eilis McDonald and Jonathan Rafman. www.templebargallery.com

Monster Truck Gallery 4 Temple Bar, D.2
    Tristan Perich: Interval Studies – a solo exhibition by New York-based artist and composer Tristan Perich. Inspired by the aesthetics of maths and physics, Perich works with simple forms and complex systems. www.monstertruck.ie

As well as the galleries, there are various culture nights (hugely popular), Live music in venues including Market Square, The New Theatre, The Project Theatre, The Irish Film Institute, FilmBase....

All RUINED by Tesco! Just so that the people that actually live in the area can buy food. What a disgrace.

There were objections, there was a whole thread on here before it was built. Clearly no one actually cared enough to complain to the planning committee. Anyway, when I was 16/17, spending my days wandering round Temple bar looking for schneaky naggins, I'm sure I would have become quite endeared towards a supplier of reasonably priced booze and sweets such as Tesco. I'm sure the the kids round town now are loving it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

HivemindXX wrote: »
    All RUINED by Tesco! Just so that the people that actually live in the area can buy food. What a disgrace.
    Exactly! Why should the hundreds of people who live above these galleries and pubs be catered for!
    There were objections, there was a whole thread on here before it was built. Clearly no one actually cared enough to complain to the planning committee. Anyway, when I was 16/17, spending my days wandering round Temple bar looking for schneaky naggins, I'm sure I would have become quite endeared towards a supplier of reasonably priced booze and sweets such as Tesco. I'm sure the the kids round town now are loving it!
    The Tesco doesn't have an off license section, at least not yet anyways. Musgraves have a monopoly on off licenses in the area anyways (Centra Dame street/Temple bar/Super value aston quay), only alternative is Londis Aston quay so I would not have an issue with Tesco opening an off license in store due to this.

Nick

Advertisement