Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy Tropical Fish

Options
  • 26-02-2011 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I'm looking to buy some tropical fish. Does anybody know the best place to buy tropical fish in Kerry. The only place I've seen is PetMania in Manor West.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Yes, I think Petmania is the only place in the wider Tralee area for saltwater aquarium supplies. But you might want to consider something entirely different:

I watched an episode of RTE's "Living the wildlife" about 2 years ago. It was about setting up native tanks in schools for educational purposes, with animals mainly collected from rock pools. I loved the idea and bought a small tank in the pet shop next to the court house in Tralee a couple of days later (it's a german made 54l MP-aquarium which cost about €85 incl. hood with light, heater, thermometer and filter. Petmania was about 50% more expensive for a comparable setup). I just added a chinese (Resun) wavemaker from ebay for about €20 and left the heater out.
    We filled the tank with water taken from Fenit in drinking water canisters which is easy enough with a tank this size and after some time started adding some small animals from rock pools, mainly shrimp and prawn, mussels, a small (hermit) crab or two, some small starfish etc. Note that a 54l tank is usually not big enough for fish, at least not if you plan to keep them for longer periods of time. We sometimes do keep small fish though, such as goby or gunnel, but we always release them after a week or less and never had more than three small fish at a time.

To cut it short: We still love the tank and never regretted buying it. The animals are pretty hardy and way more interesting to watch than one might think. If you plan to go on holiday you simply release them back into the wild where you caught them and catch new ones after you returned, which is especially great if you can do it together with children. Every single visitor in our house loved it, especially the children and most of all my daughter.
    It's a great way to deeply connect children with maritime nature and such a tank is incredibly easy (and cheap) to run compared to a tropical setup. You don't need a heater and if you keep only smaller animals and mainly invertebrates you don't need a skimmer as well. Just some light, good aeration and regular water changes will do the trick. Think about it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjIoiC8WnOw --> Original video from our tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pollyw00

Thanks for this idea. I will consider it. It's actually freshwater tropical fish I'm interested in but it's a nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

pollyw00 wrote: »
    Thanks for this idea. I will consider it. It's actually freshwater tropical fish I'm interested in but it's a nice idea.

I thought they had a few tropical fish in the petshop near the courthouse in Tralee, but haven't been in there for a long time, so don't know whether they still do.

Ok, thanks. Not sure where the courthouse is but I'll take a look around.

• Advertisement

Very helpful, thanks a lot! :)

Advertisement