Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF? Developer gets elected for Wexford who owes €40,000,000

• 26-02-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Seriously... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Probably getting the €200,000 dole from NAMA aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Bit of clarification/expansion on that statement would be lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'm sure he'll be living in a hostel and his salary will be deducted until the debt gets paid :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

I was a bit perplexed when i heard him announce he was running on vincent browne. But i thought he wouldn't have a hope being a broke developer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Does his election somehow change the fact that he owes money? afaik about him, he's been very outspoken against other reckless developers and the banks which provided them with money

OP is talking about Mick Wallace btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

sollar wrote: »
    I was a bit perplexed when i heard him announce he was running on vincent browne. But i thought he wouldn't have a hope being a broke developer.

He looked as though he was a bit perplexed when he announced it too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If he owed me €40m I might be bothered, but then only if I didn't think I'd be getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Seriously... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know anything about him till today, but from the brief interview from when he was elected: He didn't build anything in the arse end of nowhere, it was generally built with a view to profit in Dublin, all his properties are occupied and generating rent, he's not in Nama, and all his loans are with foreign banks, as he was badmouthing our banks for ages.

I'm not sure if that's all true, but that's what he said. I'm a bit surprised that he's getting a vote though. He's a developer. People should be picking up the arms of developers to beat bankers to death with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

sure with the building trade banjaxed he needs some way of paying it back. a TDs salary will be a start :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

just goes to show what kind of government people want dont it
    if i owed the bank 4 grand i would be hounded till death yet he and the other bankers/developers walk scott free with there hidden cash fancy houses and cars just diabolic if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Apparently he won't be wasting any money on suits and ties....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

galwayrush wrote: »
    Apparently he won't be wasting any money on suits and ties....:D

just palermo jerseys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Yeah he might even treat himself to a new pink poloshirt to celebrate. That one he had on today and on the vincent show looks a bit haggard.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

its great isnt it! He reminds me of one of the members of Bon Jovi with his curly locks!!! we are going to have some alternative folk in the dail, i really hope joan collins gets in in dublin, she sounds like a real champion.

I thought it was very unfair that candidates from such parties as the "New Ireland Party" were presented on the baled paper as being non party, it lost them votes for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do a bit of research before starting threads:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Anyone got any link to him owing 40 million ?

Not that I am saying he doesn't, just that he was on Newstalk Radio a few weeks ago and he said he was not bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I didn't know anything about him till today, but from the brief interview from when he was elected: He didn't build anything in the arse end of nowhere, it was generally built with a view to profit in Dublin, all his properties are occupied and generating rent, he's not in Nama, and all his loans are with foreign banks, as he was badmouthing our banks for ages.

I'm not sure if that's all true, but that's what he said. I'm a bit surprised that he's getting a vote though. He's a developer. People should be picking up the arms of developers to beat bankers to death with.

So we have, on the face of it, a good developer who ran,and is running a successful business, has not defaulted on paying his LOANS and is now competing in a market that has fallen through its arse due to the actions of the Banks and Gov. He was critical of the Banks and Gov for fecking up the market by artificially stimulating and encouraging competition.

He is now looking at a longer repayment period on the loan in his business. Why should he not have the right to run for GOv and try to make a difference. Its surely better than keyboard warriors criticizing a man for his chosen profession. He does not appear to have done anything wrong or dodgey?

He has a tax clearance cert unlike that fcuking scumbag Bertie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

maglite wrote: »
    He does not appear to have done anything wrong or doggy?
    He may have done, but I really don't think his sex life should be brought into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Snakeblood wrote: »

The bold part is as a direct result of the part in Red.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Do a bit of research before starting threads:rolleyes:

I beg your pardon?!? A developer who owes 40 mil due to greed should not be representing anyone in the Dail! I don't give a ****e if his properties are in Dublin or elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

TheUsual wrote: »
    Anyone got any link to him owing 40 million ?

Not that I am saying he doesn't, just that he was on Newstalk Radio a few weeks ago and he said he was not bankrupt.

Just because you're not bankrupt doesn't mean you don't owe money. Most of the country owes money to someone, very few of us are bankrupt.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/builder-in-poll-race-has-euro40m-debts-2527520.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

And it also helps that Mick Wallace is a sound skin who has done a huge amount for the youth in his own area, as well as being a man who never shied away from telling it like it is. I was delighted to see him elected, he is a very smart cookie and a breath of fresh air. His workers like him too. His developments in dublin are high quality and vibrant and add to the city in a positive way. And I don't have a good word to say about nearly anybody, usually. Go for it Mick.

Solnskaya wrote: »
    And it also helps that Mick Wallace is a sound skin who has done a huge amount for the youth in his own area, as well as being a man who never shied away from telling it like it is. I was delighted to see him elected, he is a very smart cookie and a breath of fresh air. His workers like him too.

He's a developer that owes 40 million due to greed like all the rest... deal with that point please instead of the ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I beg your pardon?!? A developer who owes 40 mil due to greed should not be representing anyone in the Dail! I don't give a ****e if his properties are in Dublin or elsewhere!
    What the f*** does it matter what ANYBODY owes providing they are making their monthly payments. Reel your neck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If he is declared bankrupt, doesn't that mean he can't serve in the dail.

He's a developer that owes 40 million due to greed like all the rest... deal with that point please instead of the ****e

His expenses should cover it.

His loans are being serviced he has dealt with his banks

HE IS NOT WALKING AWAY FROM HIS COMMITMENTS

unlike so many in his business

oldyouth wrote: »
    What the f*** does it matter what ANYBODY owes providing they are making their monthly payments. Reel your neck in.

Perhaps you can give us some insight, as a constituent in Wexford... why vote a guy in thats the epitomy of all thats wrong in the country?

• Advertisement

His loans are being serviced he has dealt with his banks

HE IS NOT WALKING AWAY FROM HIS COMMITMENTS

unlike so many in his business

LMAO, they are not being serviced... he owes 40 million that he nor his business can ever hope to repay

Delicious irony

Perhaps you can give us some insight, as a constituent in Wexford... why vote a guy in thats the epitomy of all thats wrong in the country?

http://www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie/

He owes the Irish Taxpayer nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How is he the epitome of all that's wrong in the country? Lots of business people owe money.. developers on the same scale as Wallace tend to have large loans relative to other business owners.

He's not trying to wiggle his way out of paying those loans back.. he's not moving abroad to avoid anything.. he's still servicing his loans.

Who did you vote for btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 husky2012

frist long haired td in dail? time for a change

LMAO, they are not being serviced... he owes 40 million that he nor his business can ever hope to repay

He has the "foreign" banks onside costing the Irish people nothing

thats all that matters

• Advertisement

He is a businessman, he made choices that were affected by the global situation and, he will tell you himself, some poor personal decisions. What does he do then?? Does he throw himself at NAMA, does he flee to the USA??? No, he stays in this country, he faces his debts and makes arrangements with his bankers while still paying back what he owes. He may still go down, but not before he has done his best to honour his commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Apparently the mans quite popular, as he's seen as upfront and honest about his issues. He doesn't take well to pink one little bit, but the man stood legally and was elected legally. There's obviously something about him that's known to his constituency that people trust him for - and in fairness, to be elected to the Dáil while being a known property developer (jesus I make it sound like he's a drug dealer) is a pretty tough thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

****ing BANANA REPUBLIC.

Aye, posters on here confirm that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Lad is a pure gob****e don't know what he's going to do in the dail.

• Advertisement

Aye, posters on here confirm that
    Confirm what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

sonic85 wrote: »
    just palermo jerseys
    juve one's as well!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play to Mick. He hasn't been declared bankrupt and is actually paying his debts back to the banks not like alot of feckers!

He has invested alot in soccer and actually gave something back to his community with Wexford Youths. Back when the Iraq war started he put up a few protest banners and then lost some building contracts from the government.

He's actually a good develepor!!!

38740_2.JPG

baldbear wrote: »
    Fair play to Mick. He hasn't been declared bankrupt and is actually paying his debts back to the banks not like alot of feckers!

He has invested alot in soccer and actually gave something back to his community with Wexford Youths. Back when the Iraq war started he put up a few protest banners and then lost some building contracts from the government.

He's actually a good develepor!!!

38740_2.JPG

And because of those banners he never got another building contract from Dublin City Council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

People should have to do an I.Q test before being allowed to vote, What a bunch of morons they are in Wexford for voting this guy in. He was being interviewed on newstalk early today and he just sounded like one of those lads that you would find in a pub on a tuesday morning, and every other morning for that matter. Did anyone tell some of the people of Wexford what actually happened in this country over the past decade and who was to blame for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Aside from Wexford ****ing youths what are his policies,he was ****eing on about an u-17 match today after been elected wtf?,At least enda has 5 points,But this guy with his pink shirt is cuckoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

The fundamental lack of understanding as to how money, finance and loans work displayed by posters is astounding.

Everyone* owes money. The average national personal debt is about 200% of household income. If i recall correctly.

Do we know if this fella is actually making money on his property. There is a good chance they might even be returning a profit for him. Just because he developed does not make him incompitant or evil. Sure If we took that approach we should never build another thing. THE PROBLEM WE HAVE IS DEVELOPERS WHO DEVELOPED STUPIDLY.

Aside from Wexford ****ing youths what are his policies,he was ****eing on about an u-17 match today after been elected wtf?,At least enda has 5 points,But this guy with his pink shirt is cuckoo.
    You've too many letters there in the title of the club.

He should have no trouble fitting in so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Here's a bit about the man himself, if you think he is a slimy scumbag developer after reading that then there is something wrong with you.

http://www.businessandfinance.ie/index.jsp?p=413&n=427&a=2095

He made some bad business decisions, but at least he has the balls to stick around and face the music unlike many of the other developers. He has donated a fortune into his local community, not to win votes or to further his own agenda, he did it simply because he felt it was the right and decent thing to do. His outspoken views against the government and their ruinous policies and tax breaks for developers cost him loads of work during the boom years. IMO we need more people like him in this country and I wish there was a man like him running in my area so I could vote for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement