Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF? Developer gets elected for Wexford who owes €40,000,000

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

oldyouth wrote: »
    What the f*** does it matter what ANYBODY owes providing they are making their monthly payments. Reel your neck in

It matters a lot. Owing 40 million shows he isn't very good at decision making for a start. But I'm not worried about that when it's his own business, but electing him to government where he'll be making decisions on the country's behalf makes it everyone's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

All debts aside,from what I've gathered his policies are wexford youths & America's attack on Iraq,Meanwhile Ireland is going down the swanny...

Well done Wexford,great contribution.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

People should have to do an I.Q test before being allowed to vote, What a bunch of morons they are in Wexford for voting this guy in. He was being interviewed on newstalk early today and he just sounded like one of those lads that you would find in a pub on a tuesday morning, and every other morning for that matter. Did anyone tell some of the people of Wexford what actually happened in this country over the past decade and who was to blame for it ?

Well I didn't vote for him ! :D

orourkeda wrote: »
    He should have no trouble fitting in so.

True that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I think fair play to him..

As far as I know he is a decent ordinary bloke (well except for the hair)

People do the ol keyboard warrior bitching about wanting change and FF are all ****e..

Then this man stands up for what he believes in = change is needed..

and people rip the piss out of him..

Did any of you stand up for what you believe in and put yourself forward in the general election?

I would say let him prove what he can do before he is ripped asunder.

I still haven't seen any proof that he owes €40,000,000 and anyway what if he does, many businesses have debts, it's the way the world works.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

All debts aside,from what I've gathered his policies are wexford youths & America's attack on Iraq,Meanwhile Ireland is going down the swanny...

We thank you for patronising our feeble attempt at civic responsibility. One day we aim to be like you, but it may take time for us to get to grips with democracy

foxinsox wrote: »
    I think fair play to him..

As far as I know he is a decent ordinary bloke (well except for the hair)

People do the ol keyboard warrior bitching about wanting change and FF are all ****e..

Then this man stands up for what he believes in = change is needed..

and people rip the piss out of him..

Did any of you stand up for what you believe in and put yourself forward in the general election?

I would say let him prove what he can do before he is ripped asunder.

I still haven't seen any proof that he owes €40,000,000 and anyway what if he does, many businesses have debts, it's the way the world works.

Ah here,Change isn't an issue,but this lad is taking the piss!
    He's a soccer fan who likes wheel barrows!,
    Bertie ahern was a soccer fan who ****ed up the country and now lives in a cupboard with a really nice selection of biscuits..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭baldbear

He's honest. I think thats why he got elected. Wexford people must be just sick of politicians talking through there holes. He's definatly an ecentric but i look forward to hearing from him and Ming Flanagan!!

Anyway it doesn't matter who got in we are still bollíxed!!!

oldyouth wrote: »
    We thank you for patronising our feeble attempt at civic responsibility. One day we aim to be like you, but it may take time for us to get to grips with democracy

Here,Here.

Ah sure look,He seems to be a sound chap,but he ain't a politician.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Here's a bit about the man himself, if you think he is a slimy scumbag developer after reading that then there is something wrong with you.

http://www.businessandfinance.ie/index.jsp?p=413&n=427&a=2095

He made some bad business decisions, but at least he has the balls to stick around and face the music unlike many of the other developers. He has donated a fortune into his local community, not to win votes or to further his own agenda, he did it simply because he felt it was the right and decent thing to do. His outspoken views against the government and their ruinous policies and tax breaks for developers cost him loads of work during the boom years. IMO we need more people like him in this country and I wish there was a man like him running in my area so I could vote for him.

I'm shocked to see where this guy landed !!
    I know him since 2001-2002,when he worked on South William Street,doing the pavement ! Working shoulder-to-shoulder with others.
    He used to come in the restaurant where i worked for lunch or dinner,with his lads working for him...Always nice,polite,smilling and ...his long hair ! Tipping always for the staff...no sign of superiority either !
    Nice to know that a "normal" person is up there,looking for us ! The Q is: is he going to be in the SYSTEM or against the system !??? With us or against us ??

Re loans...his problem ! Not mine...i remmember banks calling me and asked for limits increased,better deals for loans and so on,putting moneys in my hands. Blame him / us ??? Blame the greedy banks...

Fair play to him and good luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Ah here,Change isn't an issue,but this lad is taking the piss!
    He's a soccer fan who likes wheel barrows!,
    Bertie ahern was a soccer fan who ****ed up the country and now lives in a cupboard with a really nice selection of biscuits..

I don't know the guy personally or live in his constituency..

but I have read about things he has done over the years, I've seen a lot of the work he has done for various charities..

I can't say whether or not he will be a good politician but at least he is willing to try.

I believe he is a decent sort and will give it his best shot.

I personally don't think he is in the same category as Bertie at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Question for all the complainents...

What's wrong with being a property developer??
    Is a property developer by definition any more greedy than any other business person?

I think most businesses will operate to maximise their profits within the market and regulatory system they find themselves.
    Property developers in this country found them in an almost unregulated business climate and system that encouraged them to make huge profits..

It was government policy not developers that wrecked this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Here,Here.

Sounds like Enda Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Here,Here.

Thank fook for that, we might get a straight answer out of him so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

husky2012 wrote: »
    frist long haired td in dail? time for a change

First long haired male TD, i think you mean; and come to think of it, that was Jackie Healy-Rae.

• Advertisement

*braces for entry
    Thank fook for that, we might get a straight answer out of him so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Caught a glimpse of him on TV and I thought it was worzel gummidge that got elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

*braces for entry
    Not tonight sweetie, I've got a bit of a headache:P

Caught a glimpse of him on TV and I thought it was worzel gummidge that got elected.

May as well of been Worzel

Not tonight sweetie, I've got a bit of a headache:P

fair enough :D

• Advertisement

I think he looks like the singer from Van Halen ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sammy Hagar in the Dail would be quite entertaining.

mike65 wrote: »
    Sammy Hagar in the Dail would be quite entertaining.

Wait until you see Ming the Merciless on drums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He always reminds me of Robert Plant(who also loves his football)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

TheUsual wrote: »
    Wait until you see Ming the Merciless on drums.

Thought he preferred the pipes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Here,Here.

Just read this piece in The Tribune and quoted to Mick Wallace:
    "Keynes wouldn't have been a fan of neoliberalism and he also believed that excessively unequal income distribution greatly increased the danger of financial instability. Whether our government actually does anything about that or not remains to be seen," said Wallace.

Does he sound like the average politician? No. He sounds 100% smarter, more considered and more astute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Nor have I. But did I not see him on Prime Time last year saying he wasn't repaying his loans in full?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Millicent wrote: »
    Just read this piece in The Tribune and quoted to Mick Wallace:

Does he sound like the average politician? No. He sounds 100% smarter, more considered and more astute.

Millicent, the voice of reason saves the day as per usual :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

People should have to do an I.Q test before being allowed to vote, What a bunch of morons they are in Wexford for voting this guy in. He was being interviewed on newstalk early today and he just sounded like one of those lads that you would find in a pub on a tuesday morning, and every other morning for that matter. Did anyone tell some of the people of Wexford what actually happened in this country over the past decade and who was to blame for it ?

People should have to do an I.Q. test before being allowed to post on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I remember when he was the contractor for Dublin Corporation doing the pavements near my business in Dublin 2. The work went on for more months than originally planned and coming up to Christmas, trade was down because of the disruption in the street. He was very understanding of the situation and worked late with his lads to get the pavement finished in time for the busiest weeks of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

WTF has his hair got to do with anything???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

This thread shows how moronic some of the people in Ireland can be. BrenIreland, you're making assumptions, you're from Longford and you don't know anything about this man. He's done wonders for the county (More than all of the other candidates put together) and you criticise him because he isn't a politician? Well look where the politicians have gotten us. We need businessmen in power, not some eejit who's only in the Dail because of his family/connections and who doesn't have a clue how economy's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

As a wexfordman, i'm delighted Mick got in, even though I didn't vote for him. I just hope he doesn't realise all too soon the reality of politics and get fed up of it (as he was advised just after announcing it on Vincent Browne!)

edit: ye might enjoy this!
    Some years ago, one of Dublin's biggest builders was given a stark example of this. Wallace did £170,000 worth of work for him but was only paid £150,000, a stunt the powerful builder was well-known for. After six months of legal action, Wallace's solicitor told him it would take two years to get to court and he'd be lucky to get £2,000.
    "So I knew of a guy made a living out of a gun," he says. "I made contact with him and said ‘listen, there's a guy owes me £20,000 - will you get it for me?' He said he would give me £16,000 and keep £4,000."
    "There was a guy working for the builder and I deliberately went for a pint with him," continues Wallace. "‘Did you hear I'm getting the money out of your boss?' I said to him. ‘I hired a hitman and he's going to get it. Don't tell anyone now.' Next day I got a phone call from the managing director. ‘Mr Wallace,' he says, ‘I believe there is a bit of a financial dispute on that job. Can we meet and talk about it?' I met them and they offered me £15,000. I said I'd take £16,000. Of course, I never would have dreamt of actually hiring the hitman. I only used him as leverage but it worked."

As a thundercnuk

Good name.
    It suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

To be fair, I have met the man and he is very nice, works a lot with children and youth in the area. Always gives a helping hand where needed. I was a bit wary as he is a developer and all that, but he's not by any means a bad person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Here's a bit about the man himself, if you think he is a slimy scumbag developer after reading that then there is something wrong with you.

http://www.businessandfinance.ie/index.jsp?p=413&n=427&a=2095

He made some bad business decisions, but at least he has the balls to stick around and face the music unlike many of the other developers. He has donated a fortune into his local community, not to win votes or to further his own agenda, he did it simply because he felt it was the right and decent thing to do. His outspoken views against the government and their ruinous policies and tax breaks for developers cost him loads of work during the boom years. IMO we need more people like him in this country and I wish there was a man like him running in my area so I could vote for him.

Should be well suited in Dáil éireann so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I'm delighted he got in. He seems to be a good hard working man. My understanding of his debt situation is that unlike a lot of deveopers he is servicing his loans and not defauting.
    Well may he serve his constituency and country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

maglite wrote: »
    So we have, on the face of it, a good developer who ran,and is running a successful business, has not defaulted on paying his LOANS and is now competing in a market that has fallen through its arse due to the actions of the Banks and Gov. He was critical of the Banks and Gov for fecking up the market by artificially stimulating and encouraging competition.

He is now looking at a longer repayment period on the loan in his business. Why should he not have the right to run for GOv and try to make a difference. Its surely better than keyboard warriors criticizing a man for his chosen profession. He does not appear to have done anything wrong or dodgey?

Actually, that's a fair point. I'm more talking about developers in general and their name as a whole, which is mud. Apparently he's big in local sports though, which would account for a reasonable level of support.

He should totally have the right to run for government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

JayEnnis wrote: »
    This thread shows how moronic some of the people in Ireland can be. BrenIreland, you're making assumptions, you're from Longford and you don't know anything about this man. He's done wonders for the county (More than all of the other candidates put together) and you criticise him because he isn't a politician? Well look where the politicians have gotten us. We need businessmen in power, not some eejit who's only in the Dail because of his family/connections and who doesn't have a clue how economy's work.

Bren Ireland is ranting from the hip with no solid basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Rabble rabble developers rabble rabble banks rabble rabble burn the bond holders...

The guy is paying his loans and they're to foreign banks so I can't see any problem.

Also most of his property is in built up areas so its not as if his assets are all ghost estates that will still be worth nothing in 20-30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Not this shit again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

This is the guy.

wallace 2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I don't see how people can have a problem with a property developer being elected because the majority of people have voted for FG, a party funded by property developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Gyalist wrote: »
    I remember when he was the contractor for Dublin Corporation doing the pavements near my business in Dublin 2. The work went on for more months than originally planned and coming up to Christmas, trade was down because of the disruption in the street. He was very understanding of the situation and worked late with his lads to get the pavement finished in time for the busiest weeks of the year.

I remember this also .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Solnskaya wrote: »
    And it also helps that Mick Wallace is a sound skin who has done a huge amount for the youth in his own area, as well as being a man who never shied away from telling it like it is. I was delighted to see him elected, he is a very smart cookie and a breath of fresh air. His workers like him too. His developments in dublin are high quality and vibrant and add to the city in a positive way. And I don't have a good word to say about nearly anybody, usually. Go for it Mick.

Which developments in Dublin are you referring to?

BTW he does owe € 40mio to mainly foreign banks who if they issue proceedings against him, will result in MW being declared bankrupt. AFAIK bankrupts cannot be a TD.

'Work hard, play hard' with other people's money?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Bren Ireland is ranting from the hip with no solid basis.

just like you done their so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Mick Wallace is a gent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Delighted for him. Met him once, years ago in the Italian Quarter in Dublin. Chatted away for an hour or so in a cafe, it was only after he'd left someone told me who he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The hair & the Sport Connection

Lest we forget

Weeshie's Picks

• Back to Weeshie's Picks

Dail Stars - From Croke Park to Leinster House
    pick15.jpg
    Price: €13.60
    Explores the remarkable journey of how the GAA has been a breeding ground for Irish politicians for over a century.

In Dáil Stars, Conor McMorrow picks an All-Star team of politicians whose prowess on the playing field or in GAA administration has been matched by their success in Irish politics.
    By devoting a chapter to each of the 15 'Dáil Stars' the book tells each player/politician's individual GAA and political story using candid interviews and archive material for the historical figures.
    Among the Dáil Stars featured are Eoin O'Duffy, Austin Stack, Jack Lynch, Dan Spring, Jimmy Deenihan, Martin Ferris, Henry Kenny and more.
    It includes:-
    • How Blueshirts founder and former Ulster GAA Secretary Eoin O'Duffy invited a Nazi spy to an All-Ireland final; and the story of the Monaghan football team's audacious jailbreak plan.
    • How Mayo football star and TD Henry Kenny, father of Enda Kenny, invited TDs to his own all-night 'wake' in the Dáil bar.
    • Sinn Féin TD Martin Ferris on winning an under-21 All-Ireland title as an IRA fugitive on the run and breaking his hand by hitting future Fine Gael TD John O'Mahony in the final against Mayo.
    • Fine Gael TD and Kerry legend Jimmy Deenihan on his heart-to-heart with John B Keane about entering politics;
    • Six-time All-Ireland winning dual star Jack Lynch and when the whiskey goes 'below Thurles';
    • How Seán Flanagan, the GAA's 'original Roy Keane', tried to scrap his own government department as a minister and how he took the Mayo backs to London to learn from the Arsenal FC defenders.
    • Des Foley, the Arms Trial and the medal robbery.
    • Plus the 'Substitutes' (more GAA politicians) and the 'Also-rans': GAA stars who unsuccessfully stood for election.
    http://www.terracetalk.com/picks/15/Dail-Stars--From-Croke-Park-to-Leinster-House

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Hahaha a developer got elected????:eek:

Oh man, this country, Jesus wept!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement