Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF? Developer gets elected for Wexford who owes €40,000,000

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭boomdocker

The people of Wexford who voted Mick Wallace into Dail Eireann should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

boomdocker wrote: »
    The people of Wexford who voted Mick Wallace into Dail Eireann should be ashamed of themselves.

Ah, you are being hard on them. Especially when pretty much every other constituency has elected some sort of dodgy gombeen cretin.

Ah well, we'll just put up and shut up, just like always. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

When the guy got elected, he was a bit of a lovable rogue and generally seen as a welcome change from the incompetents in power at the time.

The people of Wexford did the same as many others all across the country who elected other clowns like Ming and Boyd Barrett.

We all have ourselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 firstsport

I wouldnt say hes the first Irish politician to lie on a tax return

We let FF get away with it for donkeys years

Dont see why everyones so shocked now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Pal wrote: »
    When the guy got elected, he was a bit of a lovable rogue and generally seen as a welcome change from the incompetents in power at the time.

The people of Wexford did the same as many others all across the country who elected other clowns like Ming and Boyd Barrett.

We all have ourselves to blame.

I remember those days. There was hope in the country that things would change, that a new government with fresh blood would disrupt the cronyism in the Dail.Revolution was in the air. Unfortunately the only thing that has change is the hope has faded, only to be replace by bitter disappointment. Sigh:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Basically he's as big a crook as those he so freely castigates from the comfort of the Dail.

As long as we keep electing such assholes to the Dail then we can't blame anyone but ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I think he should resign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think he should resign

Nah, he'll hang in there as long as possible to make sure he gets his TD's pension.

Some neck on him. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I think he should resign

I think he should be charged

You're more than likely right BattleCorp.

The politicians are really making a mockery of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Never ever trust a man with long hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The politicians are really making a mockery of this country.
    Their voters are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Nothing he says in the Dail from now on will be taken seriously. He is done. The only think is he will hang on and claim his wages. He should be jailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach,we pay all our taxes on time,everthing and this clown has the neck to stick it to the people he is supposed to represent.
    Politics in Ireland has always been about the individual and what they can milk never about the people.
    We live in a shared dictatorship of 160 odd people make no odds about it it's one way for politicians another for us mere mortals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

If he gets away with this. Then why would the thousands of struggling home owners not just think.. feck it i'm not killing myself to pay my mortgage. I'll do a Wallace and head off to Poland to watch the football and to hell with what i owe.

The sad thing is that the mere mortals put their trust in that person knocking on their door. He tells you everything you want to hear. But as soon as he takes his seat in the Dail...... He's just the same as the rest of them.

It's really depressing. Is there any reason to vote anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭boomdocker

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Ah, you are being hard on them.

I'm qualified to be hard on them...I am one - a Wexford person that is, not a MW voter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Could we get some sort of petition or e signature to force this crook to resign,if I knew how to set one up I would,this is my tipping point I have had enough of this country and it's chancers.
    Today I am ashamed to be Irish for the 1st time in my life,can you imagine what visitors or expats think reading this and nothing is being done while we get crippled by severe budgets and threats if we don't pay a 100 euro tax.

Lots of tweets calling for his resignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

I'm paying hugely raised taxes because of morons like this

resign,

you tax dodging pr1ck

• Advertisement

I dont see what all the fuss is about. I mean he just falsified a tax return as a businessman. I would imagine its done every day
    Its not like he took corrupt donations while in office :confused:

firstsport wrote: »
    I dont see what all the fuss is about. I mean he just falsified a tax return as a businessman. I would imagine its done every day
    Its not like he took corrupt donations while in office :confused:

I hope you weren't importing garlic as onions 'cos that sh1t's heavy man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lock him in stocks outside the Dail, charging €2 a time to whip the fcuker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Had to laugh at the end of the segment on Newstalk this morning when they said something along the lines of there will be a delay is some of the proceedigns because he's heading off to Euro 2012. At least we know that the reason he cant pay the 2m is becaus ehe's on the breadline , stuggling to survive .:rolleyes:

He's saving whatever the fees are for Oatlands anyway after his son got expelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

woodoo wrote: »
    If he gets away with this. Then why would the thousands of struggling home owners not just think.. feck it i'm not killing myself to pay my mortgage. I'll do a Wallace and head off to Poland to watch the football and to hell with what i owe.

If he doesn't face a jail term for this, then it sets a precedent for lots of other businesses which are struggling at the moment. They will know they can commit tax evasion and if they get caught then all they have to do is agree a repayment schedule with revenue. Its a zero risk strategy for businesses, and it will be us, the taxpayers, who will be left to pick up the bill for the shortfall in tax revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Sappa wrote: »
    Could we get some sort of petition or e signature to force this crook to resign,if I knew how to set one up I would,this is my tipping point I have had enough of this country and it's chancers.
    Today I am ashamed to be Irish for the 1st time in my life,can you imagine what visitors or expats think reading this and nothing is being done while we get crippled by severe budgets and threats if we don't pay a 100 euro tax.

Completely agree with you. Imagine the laugh that's been had in Europe? Stupid Irish......see what they let people get away with? And still vote them into power? Fools!

Sign me up for that petition....:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

woodoo wrote: »
    I'll do a Wallace and head off to Poland to watch the football and to hell with what i owe.

he is a public servant paid by the taxpayer now and can go on fancy holidays if he wants. Most of the private sector workers I know cannot afford holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

maglite wrote: »
    So we have, on the face of it, a good developer who ran,and is running a successful business, has not defaulted on paying his LOANS and is now competing in a market that has fallen through its arse due to the actions of the Banks and Gov. He was critical of the Banks and Gov for fecking up the market by artificially stimulating and encouraging competition.

He is now looking at a longer repayment period on the loan in his business. Why should he not have the right to run for GOv and try to make a difference. Its surely better than keyboard warriors criticizing a man for his chosen profession. He does not appear to have done anything wrong or dodgey?

Egg on face. I've been waiting nearly a year and a half for this moment, muwhahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The sad thing is that the mere mortals put their trust in that person knocking on their door. He tells you everything you want to hear. But as soon as he takes his seat in the Dail...... He's just the same as the rest of them.

100% right, we somehow believe that politicians are upstanding and honourable but to get elected these qualities alone will not get you there. You have to be sly, devious and generally morally corrupt. Its the more questionable human traits that will see a person democratically elected by the people. So it takes a certain type of person to get that far. After the reach the pinnacle they are the same as everyone else, raising a family, doing a day job etc however we place much more faith in them because they were voted in by us despite the very fact that the reason they got voted in was down to their more questionable traits. Then we act surprised when they find themselves caught up in something wrong.

Wallace is a chancer but obviously has the gift of the gab because I have no other idea how he got himself elected.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

And if he hangs on in there till the end of the governments reign he will have a handy 30/40k pension for the rest of his life ! Nice or what ? WTF :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

There's plenty of reason to vote, to kepp effers like that out.

Of course the problem is people give up voting and this lad gets in again based on his core support.

Elections aren't just about voting for someone, they are about keeping chancers out too. Voters fail to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Wallace is a chancer but obviously has the gift of the gab because I have no other idea how he got himself elected.

Same as.

After all the country has gone through, destroyed by developers and bankers, the people of Wexford voted this lad into the Dail!!

I just couldn't understand it myself at the time but he hasn't only made fools of the Wexford voters.

Vincent Browne has given him plenty of unchallenged airtime too over the past two years to spout all his populist BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Congrats to the people who elected him to represent them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

old_aussie wrote: »
    Congrats to the people who elected him to represent them.

...and now I see that he doubled his and sons take from the business in 2008 albeit the company wa already in some financial difficulty at that stage. Could this be deemed reckless trading, and thus allow the courts lift the veil of incorporation, and thus make him personally liable for the company debts. I hope so ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Had to laugh at the end of the segment on Newstalk this morning when they said something along the lines of there will be a delay is some of the proceedigns because he's heading off to Euro 2012. At least we know that the reason he cant pay the 2m is becaus ehe's on the breadline , stuggling to survive .:rolleyes:

He's saving whatever the fees are for Oatlands anyway after his son got expelled.
    pjmn wrote: »
    ...and now I see that he doubled his and sons take from the business in 2008 albeit the company wa already in some financial difficulty at that stage. Could this be deemed reckless trading, and thus allow the courts lift the veil of incorporation, and thus make him personally liable for the company debts. I hope so ....

Same son by any chance?

2012: Son expelled from 5th year
    -> http://www.independent.ie/national-news/four-boys-including-mick-wallaces-son-expelled-over-facebook-sex-claims-about-teachers-3110904.html

Wallace doubled his and sons pay in 2008
    Company records show M&J Wallace paid the TD and his son, the only directors, €290,000 for the year ended August 2008, when it made a €2.6m loss. Their pay was up from €148,141 a year earlier.
    -> http://www.independent.ie/national-news/how-wallace-doubled-pay-as-his-firm-was-going-down-drain-3132379.html

So much for charging VAT to his customers and keeping it purely to save his business so! I wonder if it was the same son? He'd have been in first year in secondary school in 2008. The article is a bit ambiguous whether they were paid 145k or 290k each. Not that it makes much difference. Even if it was a different, older, son, I'd wonder what he did to justify the drawing of such a salary from a company losing serious money and withholding money from the taxpayer....

Man of the people alright!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

The other director's name, i.e. this son, is Sasha, and it seems this story was known about a fair while ago

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/wallace-i-face-ruin-2656616.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

true wrote: »
    he is a public servant paid by the taxpayer now and can go on fancy holidays if he wants. Most of the private sector workers I know cannot afford holidays.

What a load of sh**te !

He owes this money from his private sector developer days, and the sooner people wise up and realise that Wallace and his ilk were the main contributors to the mess that we are in,the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0608/technical-group-whip-not-asking-wallace-to-quit.html

Can you imagine what she'd and people like Joe Higgins would be saying if this was a FF/FG TD?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0608/technical-group-whip-not-asking-wallace-to-quit.html

Can you imagine what she'd and people like Joe Higgins would be saying if this was a FF/FG TD?

Giz me sum of dat money Micka?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Has anyone asked Joe what his opinion is on all of this? He's normally not shy offering one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Sappa wrote: »

Hang on a second.

Mick Wallace did something really, really stupid: he got into financial trouble, and he tried to get himself out by underdeclaring VAT one year, with the intention of making the money back and paying it the next year.

Very stupid. And not honest. But not the kind of systematic crookery he's being accused of. And he is already paying back the money he owes to the banks. If he is made bankrupt, of course, he automatically loses his Dáil seat.

I don't know much about the guy, but I'm made uneasy by the baying mob armed with torches who are going after him at the moment. Let's stand back a little, calm down for a while, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

To be fair, the Taoiseach has been saying pretty much the same thing.

Hang on a second.

Mick Wallace did something really, really stupid: he got into financial trouble, and he tried to get himself out by underdeclaring VAT one year, with the intention of making the money back and paying it the next year.

Very stupid. And not honest. But not the kind of systematic crookery he's being accused of. And he is already paying back the money he owes to the banks. If he is made bankrupt, of course, he automatically loses his Dáil seat.

I don't know much about the guy, but I'm made uneasy by the baying mob armed with torches who are going after him at the moment. Let's stand back a little, calm down for a while, lads.

He ran on the ticket of not being corrupt- turns out he's just like the rest of them.

We have to get the ball rolling somewhere on convictions...oh and he's not the only one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Hang on a second.

What did you think about him taking taking pension payments from his workers and failing to actually put them in the pot? Man of the people indeed.

Hang on a second.

Yes, he did do something really, really stupid and illegal and should resign his seat in the Dail because of this. How do you expect Ireland to be taken seriously again on a worldwide market if it's representatives are defrauding their own country?

If the shoe was on the other foot, what do you think Mick Wallace would be saying if the tax dodger were a member of another party? He was asked that question yesterday and he couldn't give an answer.

If Mick Wallace does not resign for this embarrassment, then it raises another question....... Is he in the Dail just for himself rather than for his country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

c_man wrote: »
    What did you think about him taking taking pension payments from his workers and failing to actually put them in the pot? Man of the people indeed.

Actually, I'm baffled by the fact that journalists haven't found any of these workers to talk to. And yes, I think failing to pay your workers' pension contributions is criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Actually, I'm baffled by the fact that journalists haven't found any of these workers to talk to.

It was all over the news when he was brought to court and forced to pay :confused:

I think the opposition TDs are coming off very badly from all this. Higgns et al would be calling for the heads of any FG/Labour TD who did similar.

How many of ye that are castigating Mick Wallace have paid the household charge ;)
    He couldnt afford to pay his tax so he didnt. I couldnt afford the charge/tax so I didnt pay it

How many of ye that are castigating Mick Wallace have paid the household charge ;)
    He couldnt afford to pay his tax so he didnt. I couldnt afford the charge/tax so I didnt pay it

That's what the garlic man thought:(

He couldn't pay over VAT which was not legally his to keep but he could double the amount of drawings he paid himself and his son.

• Advertisement
Advertisement