Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LDG KT-100 or cg-3000 for my TS2000?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, any advice about which tuner to purchase for my Kenwood TS2000? I have very limited options for antennas at my QTH,due to space/neighbours/xyl !! etc..so a 60ft dipole,doublet or longwire is my only option.
    I have a doublet strung up at the moment but the built in atu in the Kenwood is not great so was thinking of getting an auto tuner.

Which of the above would be the best buy ? KT-100 made for Kenwoods and works from "tune" button and cheaper. Or CG-3000 , larger tuning range etc but dearer.Would the KT-100 suffice? Thanks for any advice.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

What bands do you plan to use a 60ft dipole is very short for 160/80m and is about 5ft short for 40m.

I have never used a KT100 but had a AT7000 which is the same only for a Icom 7000.

The LDG's are ok but given the very high SWR a 60ft coax fed dipole would have on most bands apart from 40 and maybe 15 I dont think it would be much good.

If you could feed the dipole with 300/450 ribbon to the CG you should be able to use 80-10m but it won't set the world alight. using a some form of a balun you could feed the dipole again with 300/450 ribbon and then a short length of coax to the KT100 not sure it will handle all bands but it might.

A good quality manual tuner might be a another option

I dont like the idea of using dipoles on bands the are not built for as I melted the inside of a PL259 trying to run 400w on a 80m dipole on 160m :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

Hi, Thanks for the reply.I have a doublet fed with 300 ohm ribbon which is actually approx 65/66 feet (noticed I had written 60 in my first post). I had a manual tuner which tuned this quite good but was a bit of a curse what with all the combinations needed each change of freq.This was used with an FT 840 which seemed to be more forgiving.
    I have changed to the TS2000 and find the internal tuner does not cope with much unless the swr is low anyway.(on 40 and 15 )I know these antennae are a compromise when using multiple bands but I am stuck with my options.Just wanted some opinions of the auto tuners.

Advertisement