Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

insurance????

• 26-02-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭

ok lads and lassies i have a mate who bought a bike today to come out with us an our weekly rides. thing is he has no insurance and doesnt intend on getting it either. he says everyone is doing it. so anyone out there riding without insurance? or know of people doing it? im intrested to find out is it a big thing in the biking community. all posts greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its a really really stupid thing to do. Surely you can see this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

sure can but he wont listen im afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I would say that there is more doing it than you would think, plenty of cagers doing it......I would doubt very much if my cretin neighbour has insurance. I would like to see more Garda checks. I guess I wont get to much support for that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Maybe there are plenty of people doing it but having the attitude of "well, everyone else is doing it so they won't single me out" won't make a blind bit of difference if he's involved in an accident or is stopped at a checkpoint.

If you are all out as a group and come upon a checkpoint if your mate gets stopped and they find he has no insurance they will be more likely to examine the rest of the group in greater detail.

I would tell him to get insurance and then he can go on rideouts with you and your mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know a few who done it alright. All of them are insured now as far as I know.

• Advertisement

the bike is also a northern registered bike and he thinks because of this that the gaurds wont be bothered with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He's really stupid and even more silly of you to ride with him. What happens if he crashes into one of your mates and seriously injures him, never mind complete strangers?

thanks for your views people. anyone who rides without insurance want to input anything? not waiting to attack ye just want your views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

karlram wrote: »
    thanks for your views people. anyone who rides without insurance want to input anything? not waiting to attack ye just want your views

You're not going to get anyone here with an ounce of sense admitting they drive without insurance.

What your friend is doing is irresponsible and very illegal. I hope he gets stopped sometime soon for his and our sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭captainbirdseye

KTRIC wrote: »
    very illegal
    As opposed to? A little bit illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

As opposed to? A little bit illegal?

Well this is Ireland , so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

the bike is also a northern registered bike and he thinks because of this that the gaurds wont be bothered with him

The northern plate is more likely to attract attention than distract from it - since it's a bike that's been imported without paying VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I would have thought that the Northern registered bike would have meant more bother. I know a couple of guys on northern registered bikes and they always park with the plates hidden, especially when the guards are around.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    He's really stupid and even more silly of you to ride with him. What happens if he crashes into one of your mates and seriously injures him, never mind complete strangers?
    In fairness, if you're on a bike the chances are you're going to do very little damage to anything else if you hit them. Obviously hitting a pedestrian is different, but I never heard of a bike hitting one. The price of 3rd party only insurance in Ireland is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

KTRIC wrote: »
    Well this is Ireland , so yes.

lol

some people do seem to chance riding around on a northern reg for a long time when as far as I know you have a small amount of time in which you are supposed to get it registered here if you are resident here

some of the unregistered bikes for sale on donedeal have definitely seen irish roads for long periods of time without registration...if you did buy and brought it down to be registered you could be liable for penalty charges backdated to when it entered the country but as I understand it this rarely happens + think you can use the it was a trackbike excuse?

this is Ireland after all.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    In fairness, if you're on a bike the chances are you're going to do very little damage to anything else if you hit them. Obviously hitting a pedestrian is different, but I never heard of a bike hitting one.

There was vid posted here a few months ago of 2 bikes having a major crash. It does happen and they are serious.

A bike and rider will weigh at least 250kg, at any speed bar walking that's a lot of potential energy
    The price of 3rd party only insurance in Ireland is ridiculous.

Don't I know it. But since it's law to have 3rd party insurance to drive a vehicle on the roads you need to pay it or remove the engine.
    amacca wrote: »
    lol

some people do seem to chance riding around on a northern reg for a long time when as far as I know you have a small amount of time in which you are supposed to get it registered here if you are resident here

some of the unregistered bikes for sale on donedeal have definitely seen irish roads for long periods of time without registration...if you did buy and brought it down to be registered you could be liable for penalty charges backdated to when it entered the country but as I understand it this rarely happens + think you can use the it was a trackbike excuse?

this is Ireland after all.

I don't understand this. With cars they've the random number generator of OMSP, with bikes it purely cc based. No benefit from holding out.

There was vid posted here a few months ago of 2 bikes having a major crash. It does happen and they are serious.

A bike and rider will weigh at least 250kg, at any speed bar walking that's a lot of potential energy

Don't I know it. But since it's law to have 3rd party insurance to drive a vehicle on the roads you need to pay it or remove the engine.

2 bike crashes are very very rare. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't condone it, and wouldn't do it myself and if you're caught you're in trouble. But in reality it isn't that serious. Any bike that's at fault and hits a car is probaly going to cause such little damage that they won't pay through insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't understand this. With cars they've the random number generator of OMSP, with bikes it purely cc based. No benefit from holding out.

I'm sure there are other reasons (by no means an expert)

but

you have to make an appointment to get it registered

= cost + hassle people will be tempted postpone paying

tax will have to be paid = cost so temptation to take a chance...ill be careful and it wont happen to me sort of mentality

perhaps mileage below the limit when it entered the country (anything below 6,000 or 3,000 - ive forgotten what limit is tbh - then you get charged as if importing a new vehicle - so extra time = more miles at time of registration

some were genuinely only intended to be track bikes so owners loathe to pay vrt & road tax even though I think legally they are obliged to pay the vrt in this case (not sure of that either) some informed head will fill in the gaps correct misinformation im sure

papzarro i know the insurance is ridiiculous but its a must to do what we love. i know people will be reluctant to admit it but even people can say they know someone..... and what their views are

2 bike crashes are very very rare. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't condone it, and wouldn't do it myself and if you're caught you're in trouble. But in reality it isn't that serious. Any bike that's at fault and hits a car is probaly going to cause such little damage that they won't pay through insurance.

There's a reason why it's called an Insurance policy not an Assurance policy.

I know plenty of people on bikes don't have insurance and I also agree that if a bike hits a car the biker will always come off worst. But these people are the reason why we pay such high insurance.

Also if someone driving without insurance crashes and gets badly injured they can still be taken to court by an insurance company to recoup the costs paid out, with the current state of insurance companies finances I can't see them continuing as they are now for long, which BTW is loading law abiding bikers policies to cover illegal bikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

650Ginge wrote: »
    I would say that there is more doing it than you would think, plenty of cagers doing it......I would doubt very much if my cretin neighbour has insurance. I would like to see more Garda checks. I guess I wont get to much support for that idea.

just one of the problems on our roads ....like mentioned earlier its not just bikes...cagers are doing it too.

we need proper clampdowns and enforcement ...none of the ... "well your car is not taxed or insured but shure drive on home and get it done in the next week or two...or whenever you can"

I will also add that at present my motor tax is out of date - Nov 2010 (its not that I'm avoiding paying - I have full intentions of paying, but in December I needed to get it DOE'd (its a commercial) ... and with all the snow, I couldn't and in Jan and the start of Feb ...its been getting repairs done (due to old age/driving in the snow possibly caused damage) ...so I've had it back properly on the roads for about a week or two .... and unfortunately I've been working 7 days a week and have not been able to take time to get it DOE'd - being self employed its not easy to turn down work in the current state of affairs and finding a DOE center available at short notice is difficult.

(I should add that I couldn't find the Vehicle Registration Cert until Jan too)

The system is set up to be difficult for self-employed people to work - hopefully will all be sorted within next week or two.... with the election ending I might get a day off.

• Advertisement

i dont think there will ever be the big clamp down thats needed by the authorities to overcome this problem. there for our insurance will remain high and people will continue to ride and drive illeagley:mad:

There's a reason why it's called an Insurance policy not an Assurance policy.

I know plenty of people on bikes don't have insurance and I also agree that if a bike hits a car the biker will always come off worst. But these people are the reason why we pay such high insurance.

Also if someone driving without insurance crashes and gets badly injured they can still be taken to court by an insurance company to recoup the costs paid out, with the current state of insurance companies finances I can't see them continuing as they are now for long, which BTW is loading law abiding bikers policies to cover illegal bikers.
    That's a fair point. It's just that 3rd party only is about 10 times cheaper in other countries, it's hard to justify paying so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Whiteyie

I would just tell him not to come out with you on your rides and as thats why he bought the bike in the first place then he will go get the insurance or it will just end up being a waste of money!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Bout 6 months ago one of the lads was on a restricted license but his bike wasn't restricted. He was at the petrol station filling her up and a bike cop came over telling him about a guarda bike training day kinda yoke. Anyways he was chatting away to the cop and the cop knew the bike was more than likely not restricted. Eventually me mate admitted it wasn't. Cop didn't care about that and talked me mate into doing the day course. Off he goes and does the course except on the day there was another cop there who copped on the bike wasn't restricted. Told him to get it restricted or he will do him. Paid the 200 for the restriction and then 3 weeks later when his restriction period was up he took em out again. The cop that talked him into doing the day apologized to him for getting him in trouble.
    Im sure that story would be better I'm a different thread but sure we on about no insurance so I lobbed it in here.
    Same fella is some fecker for getting off with stuff. He got caught speeding one time and the cops said the usual why ya speeding etc. Him being him obviously told the truth. Said he was dying for a crap and was rushing home before he crapped himself. Got off with it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

im not sure i would go out for a spin by choice with someone who wasn't insured, if he took you off your bike and you were injured/out of work... or your bike was fooked what would you do then?, if the bloke is too cheap to take out TPO insurance is he going to pay your hospital bill, or workshop bill..

i know insurance is over the odd's but thats what you buy into when you get into biking, if he's so confident in his riding that he will cause no accidents, tell him to buy cheaper gear and take out the TPO that way he'll be the only one in danger, and not innocent road users/pedestrians

Unfortunately if he crashes we pay. That's partly the reason why insurance is so expensive for the people who pay.

Advertisement