Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite comic/graphic novel/complete story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kristy01

MAUS is best Graphic Novel in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The ballad of Halo Jones and after that one I love/hate Killing Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Love The Killing Joke. Just utterly fantastic. Though I haven't read a lot of graphic novels anyway, but it would be hard to top that

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Barrington wrote: »
    Love The Killing Joke. Just utterly fantastic. Though I haven't read a lot of graphic novels anyway, but it would be hard to top that

You Might like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Bistoman wrote: »
    You Might like this.

Classic, reminded me of just how good the book was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bistoman wrote: »
    You Might like this.

You know me so well :D

I have just started reading them, but the Civil War books already have me hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

kristy01 wrote: »
    MAUS is best Graphic Novel in my opinion.

Maus is great, and if you liked it it might also be worth giving Persepolis a try; it has a similar kind of tone I think, very strange, disturbing events told in a really deadpan, matter of fact kind of way.

It's a great read anyway.

I've also just finished reading Will Eisner's A Contract With God. It's fantastic. I've been a huge Eisner fan since reading his Spirit strips anyway, but ACWG took everything great about his Spirit storytelling and told some really different, slice-of-life storys. Great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MCPlant

I'm a real stickler for Batman, but for some reason I always get a sideways glance and a "really?" when I declare that Batman: Hush is my favourite arc.
    I think it's a hoot - I know it's not exactly a masterpiece but it sure is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I've not been reading that many Graphic Novels yet but I loved the ones they published for Silent Hill.
    Great style and visuals :)

I love The Crow (the movie) so I read the original by James O'Barr ... and didn't like it at all. All the things I loved about the movie were somehow missing while other things I didn't like that much were really prominent, so yeah... not really my kind of thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

My favourite graphic novel has to be the conract with god trilogy by Will Eisner. His art style is great and the story is amazing.

If were talking about trade paperbacks then i would have to go with either the walking dead series or the sandman. Both excellent stories and artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

firstprime wrote: »
    My favourite graphic novel has to be the conract with god trilogy by Will Eisner. His art style is great and the story is amazing.

He's amazing, his Spirit stuff was where I first came across him, the new Darwyn Cooke stories were great but just not the same.

Eisner's great. Sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

+1 on the Walking Dead. Just waiting for the next compendium now as I can't afford the individual TPBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Hey, has anyone read the graphic novels from 30 Days of Night?
    I've been wanting to read them ever since the movie came out, but I'm not sure whether to get them or not - they are a bit expensive ;)
    Plus I'm not that much of a GN maniac after all ...
    I'm just curious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

kickarykee wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone read the graphic novels from 30 Days of Night?
    I've been wanting to read them ever since the movie came out, but I'm not sure whether to get them or not - they are a bit expensive ;)
    Plus I'm not that much of a GN maniac after all ...
    I'm just curious.

I've read the first two; the first one is pretty good, same overall storyline as the film. I wasn't so keen on the second one, which picks up the aftermath of the first one.

Mr Diamond wrote: »
    Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's 'All Star Superman' is tremendous.
    Big ideas with a lot of heart.

I have a huge collection so its very difficult to cherry pick, but thats the most recent one I've particularly enjoyed and would recommend.

Excellent series, the film is worth a watch too, stays very true to the source material.

I just read superman secret identity and I must say I was very impressed. An excellent different look at the character. Not my favourite graphic novel but still definitely recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 gloriacollins

The Dark Knight Returns is nice...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

My favourite has to be the brilliant Ronin by Frank Miller.Also V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd and of course,Hellboy Seed of Destruction by Mike Mignola.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Ghost World and Maus are two of my favourites. Judge Dredd's The Cursed Earth is a great romp too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

really recomend Fables, for any fans of the sandman. also chew is worth picking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sirenshiera

Gotta be Kingdom Come written by Alex Ross and Mark Waid and painted by Alex Ross.
    The amazing story is enough, but Alex Ross' artwork is mind-blowingly good! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Got jollies for Batman: Year One, Kraven's Last Hunt, Persepolis amongst many. Basically, anything trendy, middle-class teenagers tell me to like.
    I tend to go for some awful ones when left to my devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

I'm re-reading Watchmen. For about the 40 bazillionth time :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fiesta111

Watchmen
    -Who watches the watchmen?-

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

Fiesta111 wrote: »
    Watchmen
    -Who watches the watchmen?-
    Me. Until Doctor Manhattan got that restraining order.

:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hey, strange question but can anyone recommend a graphic novel for a 70 year old?
    Something a little highbrow I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

jank wrote: »
    Hey, strange question but can anyone recommend a graphic novel for a 70 year old?
    Something a little highbrow I suppose!

Maus: A Survivor's Tale, by Art Spiegelman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

In agreement with many others.. Preacher. Also, Invincible. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Spr1ngsteen

Not a big comicbook guy, but in my opinion, Maus is one of the best books I've ever read, let alone graphic novel....

Advertisement