Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - The reaction thread....

Options
  • 27-02-2011 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Please be civil don't be posting any nastyness, this thread is for discussing the results of the Donegal NE + Donegal SW only anything national take it to the GE forum please....

Final Results for Donegal SW:
    F279912FAD504C4DBA583F55AD33B98B-0000329556-0002192226-00800L-1CE85733C914498A950C5F34480A9961.jpg

final results for Donegal NE:
    4A93CA1A9BEB48208BA439A355879C50-0000329556-0002192225-00800L-883086B995BE411095E63EC7872AF1F5.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

I was glad to see FF elected instead of Labour to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

So those with the green ticks beside them have most definitely gotten seats then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Cannot believe that we returned a FF again, why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

I would like to have seen Harte get in. I was hoping fr no Fianna Failers at all.

I was expecting McBrearty to do a bit better than just over 2000 votes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sollar wrote: »
    I would like to have seen Harte get in. I was hoping fr no Fianna Failers at all.

I was expecting McBrearty to do a bit better than just over 2000 votes too.
    My sentiments exactly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Please forgive my ignorance, I did not vote as I have no idea about politics whatsoever, to be honest if it wasn't for everyone blaming FF I wouldn't have know who was running the country for the last number of years.

Is this a good result for Donegal?
    And if so why?
    Will it bring more jobs to Donegal?
    Are the guys elected any better than the ones that we had before?
    Will Donegal still remain the forgotten county?
    All genuine questions and no malice meant towards the outgoing TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I thought Pearse Dohertys speech was very good on highland "if the other 2 candidates work for the people of donegal i will work with them but if they dont work in the interests of the people i will hold them to account"

I think co.donegal has 2 very strong sinn fein TDs now and then i think mchugh and pringle are strong too but i would have concerns about mcconologue and dinny mcginley.Mcconolouge will be in an opposition party that doesn't know where its head is and mcginley will either get a cushy goverment ministry like ghaeltact, backbencher or cheanncomh i think he'll fade into the mist and not be very prominent.

Nationally Donegal will not be forgotten about with our new representatives will be very vocal unlike what we have ever seen before the good thing is none of our tds now like the status quo and will bring a fresh style of politics and there will be an end to the jobs for the boys tar my road get me a passport style of TDs (this is in exeption to Dinny i think he will stick that style)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Please forgive my ignorance, I did not vote as I have no idea about politics whatsoever, to be honest if it wasn't for everyone blaming FF I wouldn't have know who was running the country for the last number of years.

And if so why?
    One word will cover most of the questions above - "change"

We have new blood in there now who will make the people in the capital sit up and take notice of Donegal. The 2 disappointments for me personally is that MacConalogue got elected in the NE and McGinley got relected in the SW.

The NE, imo, would have been better served without a FF TD as we needed change and that same TD will do the same as his predecessors did for this county - NOTHING. My personal choice would have been Jimmy Harte but you cant win them all.

In the SW I was hoping that McGinley wouldnt make it. A very very nice man but he has become too complacent and the age is there. A younger person would have breathed new life into what has become a very stale political foothold.

The one factor that I think we can all agree on regardless of our political affiliations is that the incoming lot cant do any worse then their predecessors so I suppose things will either stay static or improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

And if so why?

I think it's not a case of the new people being better (I still think Doherty and SF are deluded in their attitude toward the bail out) but that Fianna Fail needed to be punished, and the fact that people would still vote for them shows how they will bounce back.
    Some of your questions reflect an attitude that is found nationwide; TD's are elected to run the country not to do favours for their area. Every time a candidate does something for their area or gets bought off like independent candidates do then the Health Service or Education System is losing out money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

fontanalis wrote: »
    (I still think Doherty and SF are deluded in their attitude toward the bail out).

I think alot of that was bluster to gain votes from the anti bailout sentiment. Now the election is over their attitude will probably soften to a structured default.

• Advertisement

sollar wrote: »
    I think alot of that was bluster to gain votes from the anti bailout sentiment. Now the election is over their attitude will probably soften to a structured default.

The anti bail out sentiment was another doozy; sure no-one wants their country to be getting bailed out but ireland is broke and it wasn't the IMF/EU that done it.
    If people were as vocal when the banks (especially Anglo) were guaranteed it may have been better, speaking of which Brian Lenihan got elected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Obcene isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

If BOD was a sole FF candidate he wouldn't have picked up the entire FF vote geography would have come in and pringles 1st preferences would have increased dramatically!

Pringle is now the sole TD in the donegal electoral area thats a massive vote catchment area and i think we'll see his vote increase on this!

And you say its bad that we have 1 third of our TD representing republican hard left well all i can say to that is it will be 10 times better than having 2 thirds "republican" hard right that we just got rid of!

Come on FF were no where near hard right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

tbh, I dont think it appropriate that a slight speech impediment is highlighted in questioning how an elected TD appeals, especially from a mod given the level of (very good) modding done in the other election thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I couldn't be more delighted myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

My liver is going to fail me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Big night in the cope house lastnight. Someone asked was I late? Said I dont know I cant remember..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

My liver is going to fail me :D

WHAT? is it a FF liver transplant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Great to see pringle get in. I think he will be a lot better for the county than coughlan ever was.
    and NE....i was hoping neither mcconalogue or harte got in. couldnt the just have closed the count at two seats and told them both to piss off??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

shame mcginley got in just been sitting there as the invisible man, claiming his expenses
    but, considering the candidates that were there .............

great to see doherty returned and pringle in fresh blood and all that

anyone think coughlans i'll be around for 20 years put anyone off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Dunno about the rest of you, but it's my belief that the old 'what's he gonna do for Donegal, Cork, Mayo etc type of politics in what got us where we are. I want the newly elected candidates to do their best for their Country, not County...
    And I hope all the newly elected independent TD's are worth their €140K+ wages...

Firblog wrote: »
    Dunno about the rest of you, but it's my belief that the old 'what's he gonna do for Donegal, Cork, Mayo etc type of politics in what got us where we are. I want the newly elected candidates to do their best for their Country, not County...
    And I hope all the newly elected independent TD's are worth their €140K+ wages...

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Lahm wrote: »
    I was glad to see FF elected instead of Labour to be fair.
    Why? I was glad Pringle got in. On a side note, its a shame that BOD is in FF. Hes actually a good guy and if he wasnt a part of that organisation, I'd definitelt give him a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Very true. But our elected politicians never really did much for our county to begin with. We're the poorest county by far and what little industry we had has been destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

I hope Pringle can wrestle the new pier in Killybegs away from the stranglehold of the kfo and open it up to trade . The finest harbour and services on the entire west coast could have the south of the county working again and damage quantus airline profits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redfox79

I am so delighted that the arrogance of FF in running two candidates after the absolute devastation they have caused in this country has cost them both seats.............beautiful.
    Delighted to see two fresh faces with integrity and passion represent Donegal SW. Here is hoping they do great things:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is true.

We all give off about the likes of Jackie Healy Rae doing deals to get things for his home county, yet we then say "I really hope these new guys get plenty of investment to Donegal". I really hope they do of course, but you could say its hypocritical of us. Bollix. We have been the forgotten county for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Very true. But our elected politicians never really did much for our county to begin with. We're the poorest county by far and what little industry we had has been destroyed.

That's my point, not alone has the parish pump politics ruined the country, but it has never been anygood for Donegal since... well.. forever; moving away from this method of delivering public services/investment/largesse can do nothing but improve the results for people in Donegal.

Advertisement