Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - The reaction thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

rushnaldo wrote: »
    I hope Pringle can wrestle the new pier in Killybegs away from the stranglehold of the kfo and open it up to trade . The finest harbour and services on the entire west coast could have the south of the county working again and damage quantus airline profits

Come again ? Killybegs port damaging Quantas profits ? Explain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

May have something to do with "flying fish" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

anyone noticed how the weather got better since FF were kicked out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Frosty around Frosses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Pique wrote: »
    Come again ? Killybegs port damaging Quantas profits ? Explain please.

Killybegs is a fishery harbour centre port therefore fishing gets top priority and the Killybegs fishernens organization rule the roost. Fishing only creates about three months work a year now due to Brussels giving all our fish to other eu nations. The stem of emigration flying out to Australia on quantus airlines is higher in Donegal than any other county. If the pier was opened up to trade like meat and coal and timber etc etc which the kfo dont want in then this would create jobs and keep our greatest exports our people here and working..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I thought Jimmy Harte might have got the message after 4 failed election campaigns that nobody wanted him as a td in Donegal, but no, I heard he was on highland radio crying about all the dirty tricks that were played against him and how it was everybodys fault that he did not get elected. It is nobodys fault Jimmy, it is just that the people of Donegal NE do not want you to represent them in Dail Eireann and if you had a shread of integrity left you would accept our wishes and stop polluting out town with your hundreds of posters every election time and polluting our airwaves with you nonsense, pointless arguments just so you can get on the radio. Give it up Jimmy, the people have spoken and made our wishes clear on several occasions and why not go with a bit of dignity and go quietly instead of looking like a sore looser making angry speeches at the count and on Highland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

rushnaldo wrote: »
    coal and timber etc etc which the kfo dont want in then this would create jobs and keep our greatest exports our people here and working..
    Not coal sure that would dirty the spanking new pier! (BTW this is true!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

I thought Jimmy Harte might have got the message after 4 failed election campaigns that nobody wanted him as a td in Donegal, but no, I heard he was on highland radio crying about all the dirty tricks that were played against him and how it was everybodys fault that he did not get elected. It is nobodys fault Jimmy, it is just that the people of Donegal NE do not want you to represent them in Dail Eireann and if you had a shread of integrity left you would accept our wishes and stop polluting out town with your hundreds of posters every election time and polluting our airwaves with you nonsense, pointless arguments just so you can get on the radio. Give it up Jimmy, the people have spoken and made our wishes clear on several occasions and why not go with a bit of dignity and go quietly instead of looking like a sore looser making angry speeches at the count and on Highland.

Here Here.

The guy is a shambles. He doesn't know what party he's in.

He tried Fine Gael, Independent and now Labour. I'd say his father Paddy who was a big Fine Gael boy wasn't too pleased.

People can't be bothered electing someone who keeps switching around parties. It's nonsense. The whole abortion saga is only an excuse.

I've seen plenty of posters about the town of Letterkenny for Jimmy. Most of them have sketches of the male genital organ on them. A sign of disapproval from the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

€130K+ per year... FOR LIFE! :eek:

FFS! If she lives to be 80+ that's about 40 years... = €5.2 MILLION!

Jesus wept... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 libsduf

Is there anything the incoming government can do to cut Mary Coughlans pension. I feel physically ill the thought of the damage her party caused. We are the most in debt country per head of capita on the planet, yet our friend Mary will continue to bleed us dry, is this reversible???
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Harte v Fianna Failer , Harte everytime.

Harte doesn't come across well on the airwaves but he is no worse than many of those elected. He would have been elected if he was native Letterkenny and had the hideous holier than thou anti-abortion brigade not interfered the result would have been closer.

libsduf wrote: »
    Is there anything the incoming government can do to cut Mary Coughlans pension. I feel physically ill the thought of the damage her party caused. We are the most in debt country per head of capita on the planet, yet our friend Mary will continue to bleed us dry, is this reversible???
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    It should be taxed at 90% so they can pay for some of the mess they caused!

Jimmy Harte has failed abysmally in every election he has gone for, not because he is not a native Letterkenny man, not because of pro lifers but because nobody takes him seriously as a politician. How can a man run for 3 different parties in 3 elections and look anything other than desperate too get elected at any costs. He would still be with FG had they not thrown him out, one of their smarter moves. In an election where Labour dramatically increased their vote and where Fianna Fail were completely decimated, Jimmy Harte failed to take the third seat ahead of one of a handful of FF TD's too get elected, he diddent even get close. That says it all, if he couldent get elected in that election then he never will.

Jimmy Harte has failed abysmally in every election he has gone for, not because he is not a native Letterkenny man, not because of pro lifers but because nobody takes him seriously as a politician. How can a man run for 3 different parties in 3 elections and look anything other than desperate too get elected at any costs.

That's it. It's all about his shifting about. Also made a bit of an eejit of himself by splashing "VOTE LOCAL" on his posters when the dude isn't even from the town. His own family (siblings, etc) couldn't even vote for him because they live in the other constituency!

I'd say he'll be with Sinn Féin next time round. Wonder what the odds are!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, the moving parties would put me off but people do change opinions!

Still, saying a FF'er is more preferable! Nah!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Basically all these guys are going to be doing from now on is getting passports for people who are too lazy to que in the post office themselves or getting grants for people who are not entitled to them so i wouldent worry too much about what party they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Basically all these guys are going to be doing from now on is getting passports for people who are too lazy to que in the post office themselves or getting grants for people who are not entitled to them so i wouldent worry too much about what party they are from.

Fair point. Unfortunately all politics is local and FF were master as that. I don't think this election has seen a sea change in that regard.

Harte seems to have suffered from the rosary brigade. Apparently he was targeted outside his own chapel! That is wrong. We've had enough of that type of thing at this stage!

Labour only want to legislate for the X case, that is the Constitution as voted on by the Irish people and interpreted by the Irish Supreme Court.

The rest just want to form a commmitteeeeaaaa on it and forget all about it, not that I blame them!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Lahm wrote: »
    T His own family (siblings, etc) couldn't even vote for him because they live in the other constituency!

That's not entirely true to be fair. HIs brother lives here, and his own family were reared here. In terms of being local, thats good enough for me.

• Advertisement

Jimmy Harte has failed abysmally in every election he has gone for, not because he is not a native Letterkenny man, not because of pro lifers but because nobody takes him seriously as a politician. How can a man run for 3 different parties in 3 elections and look anything other than desperate too get elected at any costs. He would still be with FG had they not thrown him out, one of their smarter moves. In an election where Labour dramatically increased their vote and where Fianna Fail were completely decimated, Jimmy Harte failed to take the third seat ahead of one of a handful of FF TD's too get elected, he diddent even get close. That says it all, if he couldent get elected in that election then he never will.
    He is being linked to a seat in the Seanad according to media reports:eek: Thought they were going to get rid of that waste of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Collegebhoy

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, the moving parties would put me off but people do change opinions!

Still, saying a FF'er is more preferable! Nah!

Have to admit I gave McConalogue a preference just to keep Harte out.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

To be honest, I think it typical south west Donegal showing how bad their vote management is.... All the TDs for this area are now from Killybegs and further south.. So the people from Ballybofey, Donegal Town , Ballyshanon and Bumdoran could not show their votes any better and at least have someone in this area... I know people where annoyed at FF but, half a loaf is better than no bread!!

Have to admit I gave McConalogue a preference just to keep Harte out.

Likewise! :pac:

I went a step further, I gave him a no.2 and a no.3 to Ryan just in case McConlogue went first and it was between Harte and Ryan. I never thought I would see the day I would put a tick in a Fine Gael box!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

LoanShark wrote: »
    To be honest, I think it typical south west Donegal showing how bad their vote management is.... All the TDs for this area are now from Killybegs and further south.. So the people from Ballybofey, Donegal Town , Ballyshanon and Bumdoran could not show their votes any better and at least have someone in this area... I know people where annoyed at FF but, half a loaf is better than no bread!!

At the risk of sounding pedantic, there are no TD's from further south in Donegal than Thomas Pringle in Killybegs, what with both McGinley & Doherty being with from Gweedore or there abouts.. and for a candidate to satisfy the requirements of the people of Ballyboffey, Donegal, Ballyshannon, and Bundoran - as laid down by you, (s)he'd have to be a dab hand at the new art of quad-location...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Labour don't appear to want to take Donegal seriously. Candidates like McBrearty will never be elected to anything other than the council and Harte only figured as long as he did because FF only ran 1 candidate-he's changed his stripes too many times to be taken seriously.

If stories are to be believed, Labour approached Pringle before the election. With these sort of antics, they're clearly not willing to invest the time and resources to establish a credible presence in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I went a step further, I gave him a no.2 and a no.3 to Ryan just in case McConlogue went first and it was between Harte and Ryan. I never thought I would see the day I would put a tick in a Fine Gael box!

Putting a tick in would have spoiled your vote :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Cronyism is rampant

LoanShark wrote: »

There was a very poor choice and calibre of options available for voters to choose from. Indeed I think the final mix without FF is better for the people of SW Donegal from the choice on offer.

To build on your analogy - There is no point going to the cupboard and eating mouldy stale bread (Ms. Coughlan) when at least there were a few biscuits in the assorted box left from Christmas to ease the hunger. Who knows by 2016 we may get a few crackers to vote for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Advertisement