Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite identity?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I was aligning my telescope on Saturday evening around 18:45 and was pointing at Rigel and fine tuning the position, when I noticed something pass north-south just to the west of Rigel. I reckon this must have been a satellite on a polar orbit, but does anyone have any idea of what it might have been, or where I could find this information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The ISS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Plug wrote: »
    The ISS.
    No ISS is not in a polar orbit and does not orbit north to south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Could be the NOAA weather satellites, they are polar orbiting ones. Dont think they can be seen with naked eye, but certainly could with that scope, was it through the scope you seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I knew it wasn't the ISS - wrong time, and wrong direction of orbit :)

I was looking through the scope at the time, and the object would probably not have been bright enough to see with the naked eye - certainly not with the Dublin light pollution anyway!

ceejay wrote: »
    I knew it wasn't the ISS - wrong time, and wrong direction of orbit :)

I was looking through the scope at the time, and the object would probably not have been bright enough to see with the naked eye - certainly not with the Dublin light pollution anyway!

Sounds like one of the NOAA weather satellites so. They have polar orbits. Magnitude is about +6 so just about ouside naked eye perception especially in a city area with lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

According to Heavens-above.com four bright satellites were viewable from Dublin around that time:

Resurs 1-4 Rocket
    Magnitude 2.1
    Started @ 18:36:05 10° SSE
    Max Altitude @ 18:41:20 75° ENE
    Ended @18:46:44 10° NNW

CZ-4C R/B
    Magnitude 2.8
    Started @ 18:36:53 10° NW
    Max Altitude @ 18:43:12 58° NNE
    Ended @18:49:58 10° ESE

Lacrosse 4 Rocket
    Magnitude 1.8
    Started @ 18:46:39 10° SW
    Max Altitude @ 18:51:01 71° NW
    Ended @18:55:32 10° NE

Cosmos 1154 Rocket
    Magnitude 2.7
    Started @ 18:49:09 10° SSW
    Max Altitude @ 18:52:44 72° WNW
    Ended @ 18:56:14 10° N

I just had a look at a start chart for that time on Saturday evening & I'd go for the Resurs 1-4 Rocket.

Hmm, I don't think it was. From the track on Heaven's Above it looks like it was too far away from Rigel. This passed only a couple of arcseconds away from Rigel.

I only checked the <3.5 mag satellites. Run a search on the dimmer ones to see what it brings up.

I couldn't find any on Heaven's Above that would match what I saw. Any other ideas for where I could search?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

ceejay wrote: »
    I couldn't find any on Heaven's Above that would match what I saw. Any other ideas for where I could search?

Either of these might be worth a look:

www.n2yo.com

http://www.satobs.org/seesat/seesatindex.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

If it was a satellite that you saw through the scope, then it is most likely too dim (distance or in shadow) for the >4.5mag predictions on Heaven's Above.

Popoutman wrote: »
    If it was a satellite that you saw through the scope, then it is most likely too dim (distance or in shadow) for the >4.5mag predictions on Heaven's Above.

If it was in shadow it would not be visible at all. The weather satellites i still think are a possibility. They are around magnitude 6, and on polar orbits 540 miles up. Noaa satellites.

Advertisement