Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Levels-Leaving Cert points conversion?

• 27-02-2011 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

I'm applying to a course via UCAS and I've always been wondering what kind of points I need for it seeing as it just gives you requirements with regards to the english system (as you would expect)

Anyway, I would need an AAB in my "A levels" if I was English, including mathematics. Is there any way to roughly convert that to a Lc point number? Just an approximation is what I'm really looking for.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

What university is it?

English universities typically don't accept people on points, only grades. For example, I'm sending an application to Cambridge next year, and they state for Irish applicants that you need five A's. My sister did this for University of Aberdeen also, and she required specific grades.

Typically they'll look for As/Bs in five subjects. But if you want a rough approximation, you can use the points conversion they use for A-level students applying in Ireland.

For A2, an A is 135 points, a B is 120, giving you 390 :)

But there should be a section for international students, with things like IB, SATs, and Leaving Cert requirements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Queens University Belfast

390 points?
    My career guidance teacher said that on the "Irish leaving certificate requirements" it said I need B in honors everything which is about 515 points. But then she said that I shouldn't really take that as a guideline as 515 points is such a massive leap from the UL points requirement of 325. She said that UCAS don't really understand the irish points system so they can give quite high point requirements and then let you in on much less.

Is it true that they expect much more from irish students as we study so many subjects instead of a few in detail? Which is why they would expect a B in all honors subjects?

And thanks for getting back to me :P
    PS: God I hope its 390 points :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Well, it actually seems to be top 6 in Queen's.

http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/sgc/admissions/UndergraduateAdmissions/EntranceRequirements/IrishLeavingCertificate/

Take a look at that, it should help!
    And have a look at Column 4 Note: "Some variation"

If its all B2's (guessing here), you're ballpark looks to be 480.

Oh I've never used that site before.

See, this is what confuses me "ABBBBB including Higher Level grade B in Mathematics or Physics + If not offered at Higher Level then Ordinary Level grade C in Mathematics" I can get a B in Higher maths or a C in Ordinary maths. Inconsistency much? Or am I picking this up wrong?
    I'd say I can get an A or two, maybe three. And then maybe two B's and C. The extra A's should cover up a C or two hopefully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

If and when you receive an offer from UCAS it will specify exactly what minimum leaving cert grades you need to get a place. The places will be offered before the Leaving Cert.
    Most university websites also have an international section which specifies Leaving cert grades.

• Advertisement

So when/if I get the offer then I'll know? Oh great thanks :) Load off my mind

They recently mailed me for more info (good sign I hope) like my JC results, none of the other lads in my school who applied through UCAS had to include JC results. I had a pretty average JC but have recently turned anew leaf and am putting in plenty of work so hopefully it won't put them off giving me an offer...

Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

PJelly wrote: »
    They recently mailed me for more info (good sign I hope) like my JC results, none of the other lads in my school who applied through UCAS had to include JC results. )
    :confused: I had to enter my JC results through the UCAS site. I taught it was compulsory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

NotExactly wrote: »
    :confused: I had to enter my JC results through the UCAS site. I taught it was compulsory.
    It's not compulsory in the form. But nearly all British universities ask for them anyway. People say the JC is unimportant but if you want to apply through UCAS it's very important.

My career guidance teacher was beside me the whole time I filled out the form so I assumed it was all done properly. None of the other lads who filled theirs out put in their JC results and they already got their replies. Though none of them are applying to Queens too.

Aghh, if I had known the JC would actually be needed for my future career, I would've put effort in! I'm really worried that they'll reject me because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ulstergirl

Well my sister studied at the university of ulster and she got in even though she was 50 points short of the entry points. Her career guidance teacher told her that the ucas is a much fairer system than cao and they place a lot of emphasis on your personal statement and your reference so try not to worry too much OP.

• Advertisement

So there is a light at the end of the tunnel then :)
    Just have to get the offer first, thanks for the info everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Does anyone know if an A* in the English system is the equivilent to an LC A? because an A* in the english system is 80% + but 80% in the LC is a B1....

Advertisement