Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6mth old and head shaking

• 27-02-2011 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

My 6 mth old has taken to shaking his head from side to side like he is saying no all the time, this begun about 3 days ago and its not just when he is getting fed I thought it was him just experiencing a new movement but my partner is concerned I have a doctors app on Tuesday to check it out but has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

edellc, by all means ask your doc, but I think this is 'normal' behavior for a babies of a certain age...

My son is currently going through a phase of shaking his head, slapping his head and occasionally headbutting stuff - and his sister did the same!

I remember looking it up at the time and discovering it was just another odd phase they go through. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

My son used to do this when he was much smaller. I don't know if it had anything to do with this, but he was diagnosed with trapped fluid in his ears and had to have grommets put in. It's worth mentioning to your PHN or GP. It may just be a phase he's going through. Kids like to freak us out and keep us on our toes. I think it's in their secret handbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Check the ears. Might have an ear infection or blocked with wax. Sometimes they find a new sensation and keep repeating it, till they get bored. No harm getting it checked anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

My little girl did that around that age too. We just thought it was cute, but it wasn't when she was feeding so much! She seems to have stopped, as I only thought of it when I saw your post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

My 6 year old started this at around 6 months too - had everything ears & all checked out at the time. He has since told us that he does it because it makes everything sound different!
    By all means have it checked out but I wouldn't worry
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

My 8 month old does it to, we think its hilarious because he does it on demand now by copying us!! Never even dawned on me there might be something up, he laughs as he does it though so I am sure he is ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

so i checked with the doctor and nothing is wrong he is just copying us and/or it makes a new sound when he does it and/or he has had enough food
    so i thank you all for your comments they settled my nerves and made my trip to the doctor a lot less worrying :) sorry i've just got first time mammy syndrome :D

Advertisement