Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble Turning Computer ON

• 27-02-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I have been having a lot of trouble turning my computer on recently. When I press the power button on the PC, it lights up for a split second, but doesn't switch on. Eventually, after a dozen unplugs etc, it turns on. Can ayone suggest a possible cause of this? Could I need a new power supply in the PC? It's about 6 years old now.

Thanks,
    Chris

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I had a laptop handed to me last week with this very problem.
    I reinstalled the operating system a fresh and it was solved. Apparently it was for the owner, a software problem with the start-up system files.

A fresh re-install might work you too. Its worth a try.
    back up all your important stuff to an external source and then proceed if you can to do a re-install.
    If you need help as to how to do this, get back to us.

Don't forget to state what the operating system is and what make the system is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sounds like a PSU problem, could you borrow one from someone to try?

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

christo82 wrote: »
    I have been having a lot of trouble turning my computer on recently. When I press the power button on the PC, it lights up for a split second, but doesn't switch on. Eventually, after a dozen unplugs etc, it turns on. Can ayone suggest a possible cause of this? Could I need a new power supply in the PC? It's about 6 years old now.

Thanks,
    Chris

Electrical short or psu going. Can't be software, as it hasn't posted past the bios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Biggins wrote: »
    I had a laptop handed to me last week with this very problem.
    I reinstalled the operating system a fresh and it was solved. Apparently it was for the owner, a software problem with the start-up system files.

A fresh re-install might work you too. Its worth a try.
    back up all your important stuff to an external source and then proceed if you can to do a re-install.
    If you need help as to how to do this, get back to us.

Don't forget to state what the operating system is and what make the system is.
    In the first split second of Power On I dont understand how the hard disk has anything to do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

yeah, I would definitely think it's a hardware problem. I wouldn't be able to borrow a PSU, so I would need to buy. What info would I need to have to buy a PSU or are they all generic?

thx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

christo82 wrote: »
    yeah, I would definitely think it's a hardware problem. I wouldn't be able to borrow a PSU, so I would need to buy. What info would I need to have to buy a PSU or are they all generic?

thx

Most PSUs conform to the ATX standard, its likely your system has a ATX PSU, Dell in the past made it very difficult to put a different brand PSU in, requiring a hacksaw to the case, but I'm not sure of its still the case, if you open the system, remove the PSU completely you will see if its a ATX one (standard 20/24 motherboard connector & a small 4pin one for cpu if intel)

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Overheal wrote: »
    In the first split second of Power On I dont understand how the hard disk has anything to do with it
    I didn't either to be honest and in 25+ years of working in I.T. it was a first for me.
    However as it turned out bizarrely in my case, it was indeed something that had gotten into the structure/makeup of the hard-drive and its corresponding installed software.

I originally though it was the power unit myself. The laptop was brought to me for a viral clean-up and the owner then explained the turning on problems which were exact as the OP above too.
    I took the option in that viral clean-up to do a fresh, right down to the core hard-drive structure rebuild and install of factory set-up ...and was surprised very much so to discover the other power problem solved - which was what I was going to look at next anyway.

One of those weird things that was solved by luck, not by skill of myself for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

a blown capacitor would also cause the same symptoms

my dell optiplex gx280 slimline died that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭pah

Had Dell Optiplex PC in work also with this problem last year, started rebooting before post and then started flashing orange with no power.

re-seating ram and or graphics card worked a few times before it happened again repeatedly. eventually reinstalled windows because of another problem which may have been connected. worked for a few weeks before same problem arose.

eventually went to IT HQ to fix - not sure what they did though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

a blown capacitor would also cause the same symptoms

my dell optiplex gx280 slimline died that way.

All the Gx280's died that way. Was a huge blunder for both Dell and the motherboard manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

^ Second that

Loads of them used to come in at work with the same problem as the OP

I don't know if its worth buying a new psu for such an old machine, if you could afford it pickup a modern one for a couple of hundred euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Just to update on this problem. I bought a new PSU and installed it, and now it all works fine, turns on straight away. One quick question about it though, on this PSU, the fan part is on the underside of the unit, so facing inside the computer when installed. Is this okay? The back of the unit where the plug socket etc are is fairly open with a grill. Would this be enough to keep it cool?

Thanks

Advertisement