Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moneylending

• 27-02-2011 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Christianity is against usury. The word usury used to mean charging interest on money. The way I interpret what I have read in the bible is that a Christian person is not allowed to charge interest. Am I wrong, does Christianity accept that you charge interest on money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

whiteonion wrote: »
    Christianity is against usury. The word usury used to mean charging interest on money. The way I interpret what I have read in the bible is that a Christian person is not allowed to charge interest. Am I wrong, does Christianity accept that you charge interest on money?

The Jews were forbidden to loan money at interest in the Old Testament. This was because they were all brothers, members of God's covenant people, and therefore should be willing to help each other without seeking to exploit or gain from that opportunity.

This Jewish ban on usury was maintained by Christians for centuries - though, funnily enough, not by Jews! This turned out to be a good thing, because it limited the extent of some of the very nasty anti-Semitic pogroms. Everyone knew you needed a few Jews left alive, otherwise you would have nobody to borrow money from!

The guy really responsible for opening the theological doors on money-lending was John Calvin. He pointed out that the context in which the OT passages occurred (a society where everyone was brothers) did not equate to a modern society where Christians mingle and rub shoulders with unbelievers. Also, said Calvin, the motive was important. There is a difference, argued Calvin, between a mutually beneficial arrangement of investing capital, and in gouging your brother because he was starving and would borrow at any price. It is no coincidence that Calvin was in Geneva and so his followers got a head start on practicing morally-sanctioned capitalism. That is why today we talk about the very wealthy having Swiss bank accounts instead of our rather dysfunctional Irish banks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My own understanding base on a recollection from a history course is that this pre-dates the reformation. The relaxation of interest rules occurred in Italy from the 13thC onwards to better allow the city state merchants to deal with the risks/rewards of the re-started Meditarrean trade after the Arab invasions of the 7thC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

PDN wrote: »
    This Jewish ban on usury was maintained by Christians for centuries - though, funnily enough, not by Jews! This turned out to be a good thing, because it limited the extent of some of the very nasty anti-Semitic pogroms. Everyone knew you needed a few Jews left alive, otherwise you would have nobody to borrow money from!

Indeed! Look at poor old Shylock.

Advertisement